14 years ago

Brett didn't even know about Green Bay before being traded here. Now what, he loves Green Bay. Charles Woodson didn't want to come here either, this was the last place on his choice map, now he loves it here.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

is this true? if so, that's pretty cool.

now, before you shut me out, i grew up in Appleton and used to visit Green Bay about 1-3 times a week to go to Kutska's & Concert Cafe as a teenager. i was in a band in high-school which practiced in GB. i worked for a year in Ashwaubanon. and so on and so forth. then at age 18 i moved to Milwaukee and was like "whoa, a real city!" and after that i moved to Boston where people said things like "oh. i'm sorry." after i told them where i moved from. then after that i moved to NYC where people said "fuck Boston, that place sucks." and now i live in Chapel Hill where nobody gives a shit about such things.

point is, if you're not on the map, you're not on the map...and even if you *are* on the map, people still have problems with it or you. if i didn't grow up in WI i'd have NO reason to even think that visiting Milwaukee or Madison is a good idea let alone Green Bay and that's like...the two cities people outside the frozen glove-state have actually heard of. sure, people know about the Packers but they have no idea where the feck they're from! the thing about Green Bay's organization is that it is, and hopefully always will be, different. and this is obviously something you just have to see and experience for yourself. look at the way our players handle the media and furthermore...never end up in the media for shooting themselves in the leg.

i say let people continue to wonder wtf Green Bay is all about. i love and have always loved that we are the absolute fucking ANTITHESIS to the fucking Dallas Cowboys.

the end.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Fair enough. I thought I may have misunderstood you. To focus on the positive is always a better route to go. Unfortunately the media and people in general fail to do so more often than not.
As I mentioned before, my intent was not to drag GB or any city/franchise thru the muck but to pose the question- what should management do, if anything, to overcome the perception.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The whole negativity sells thing has always bothered me. Something I pointed out to the staff was the day following a loss, the site's hit count boomed. After a win, crickets could be heard. Personally, that's wrong in my view. And more to the negativity sells thing, that's why I can't stand watching the news. They want to find some 'scoop' and its almost always about what bad happened to who. That's not news, that's tragedy. and you know what makes it worse? Us, because us as a whole glue our damn attention to it.

"wpr" wrote:

interesting. usually after a loss I don't visit the site for most of the week.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I'm the same way. I visit the site more after wins than I do after losses. Partly it's because some people get so bent out of shape after losses that the quality of the discussion is not as good. And partly it's because I get kind of depressed after losses, and I don't want to think about them.

As for the article, I wonder if there was also an accompanying article about which teams players would MOST like to play for. If that was the case, then it wasn't negative. At any rate, I think it's an interesting question to ask, and I don't have a problem with it.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Fair enough. I thought I may have misunderstood you. To focus on the positive is always a better route to go. Unfortunately the media and people in general fail to do so more often than not.
As I mentioned before, my intent was not to drag GB or any city/franchise thru the muck but to pose the question- what should management do, if anything, to overcome the perception.

"wpr" wrote:

The whole negativity sells thing has always bothered me. Something I pointed out to the staff was the day following a loss, the site's hit count boomed. After a win, crickets could be heard. Personally, that's wrong in my view. And more to the negativity sells thing, that's why I can't stand watching the news. They want to find some 'scoop' and its almost always about what bad happened to who. That's not news, that's tragedy. and you know what makes it worse? Us, because us as a whole glue our damn attention to it.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

I'm pretty much always here. I'm addicted.

That said, what Z2C says is very noticable. Tens of threads pop up after we lose. Non after we win.
porky88
14 years ago

There are many reasons players won't come here

1) main reason Ted Thompson
He refuses to pay free agents and he really doesn't take care of players he didn't draft.

2) Not winning

3) small town

4) weather

5) Mike McCarthy i believe is another reason
He doesn't seem like a players coach and seems lost alot of times

"dhazer" wrote:

You're two for five.

Bubba Franks, Donald Driver, Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, and Nick Barnett have all received money from Ted Thompson and he didn't draft a single one. In fact, Thompson has only extended two of his draft picks. Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings being the two players.

Not winning would make sense, but considering that other teams aren't winning and aren't on the list, it probably doesn't weigh as much as people think. Never underestimate a player's ego or confidence. The Dallas Cowboys' last playoff win was in 1996 and they aren't on the list. The Jets' record has been very comparable to the Packers' record the past few seasons and they aren't on the list.

Why?

Big markets.

Weather and the small market is spot on, although I think weather plays a bigger role. Jacksonville is the second smallest market, I believe, and people probably would love to go there because of the women and weather.

As far as McCarthy goes.... Every player responds to a different style of coach. McCarthy will rub people the wrong way, but so does Bill Belichick. It depends on the player.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Zero:

I used to buy men's health, and they'd have polls about cities with the most pollution, highest crime rate, or fattest chicks, IN ADDITION TO some more pleasant complimentary ones. Again, would you be commenting on the virtues of the golden rule if the chiefs were substitued for the packers in this survey?

I honestly don't think the intentions are as vindictive as you perceive them to be, or that a free agent will see this and not come to GB as a result.

As I said before, I've lived in GB for 7 months, loved it. i did a lot of biking to Kewaunee, or up Nicolet Drive (gorgeous!!!), loved UWGB and the trails near Deckner ave, getting CCQ to go at Krolls...but could also understand why others would not be too fond.

"musccy" wrote:

You're asking the same question I already answered. I DO NOT CARE WHICH TEAM IS FIRST OR LAST IN THIS POLL. It's the nature of the poll and continuing of polls of its like that bother me.

So get the fuck off this shit about "oh what it if it was X team".

THE TEAM IS IRRELEVANT!

:pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I think usually SI Polls get both sides...

By that I mean usually if they were to ask, "WHICH NFL TEAM WOULD YOU LEAST LIKE TO PLAY FOR?" usually they would also ask "WHICH NFL TEAM WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO PLAY FOR?"

Any body know if they also asked that and what was the result?

"beast" wrote:

If that had top five least AND most, that'd be better in my view. Show both sides of the coin.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

There are many reasons players won't come here

1) main reason Ted Thompson
He refuses to pay free agents and he really doesn't take care of players he didn't draft.

2) Not winning

3) small town

4) weather

5) Mike McCarthy i believe is another reason
He doesn't seem like a players coach and seems lost alot of times

"dhazer" wrote:

1- Porky proved that wrong.
2- We were in the NFC Championship just two years ago.
3- Green Bay is a small town. True. How is that a bad thing? You'd think lots of free agents would like that. At least, I would think.
4- Weather in Green Bay is fine. If you don't like it, wait 15 minutes, it'll change.
5- Give me a break. Mike IS a players coach and THAT is a problem.

Why don't you just throw in this gem of a grudge you hold.
6- Aaron Rodgers told fans to fuck off.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

As for the article, I wonder if there was also an accompanying article about which teams players would MOST like to play for. If that was the case, then it wasn't negative. At any rate, I think it's an interesting question to ask, and I don't have a problem with it.

"Greg C." wrote:

There was not an accompanying question about which place do you like best. (That I recall.)
SI does go back and forth in it's questions about the same number of positive as negative ones.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Tens of threads pop up after we lose. Non after we win.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Ain't that the truth! After a win, I find myself scouring the interwebz for anything remotely related to the game, just to create a few extra threads in the hopes someone will respond to them. After a defeat, dozens of threads pop up within minutes.
UserPostedImage