musccy
14 years ago

Why is SI carrying this kind of a poll? What good does it do?

"wpr" wrote:

SI does a poll every week.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

...if the vikes were rated as "#1" in this poll would any of us be offended by it?

SI ran a poll that ended up calling out GB on something that most of us hate having to admit, that unless you're from WI, GB isn't the most appealing place in the U.S.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

Gotta get 'em up Nort during the summer months.

Few places better, in the summer.

Thank goodness for global warming. It would have sucked to have what happened in the 60's show up on youtube. There was a a series of bad storms, plus some sustained really cold weather, I forget the exact details and the exact year.

ANYWAY, what happened was that some of the snow and ice never went away where they piled it..places like gas stations and stuff.

4th of July, and you would see these ugly black piles of snow and ice in the corners of the gas stations... This would not have appealed to someone from say, Florida.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Uh, no. It's 69 degrees outside in sunny south florida. I have socks on and i'm freezing, windows are closed. No, a big block of dirty snow would not appeal to me. Waking up to a car that is freezing and has snow all over it wouldnt appeal to me. Sorry, i have to go find my sweatshirt. Bye
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

yeah...the legs of some big boned corn fed 'bigguns.'

"musccy" wrote:

lmao. This was the unspoken thought behind my post, but I'm glad you said it for me. 😛

But hey, the very type of which you speak is wildly popular with the African American contingent in La Crosse. We've had the Cognac Club for many years, which is frequented exclusively by black men and fat white women. There's an invisible flashing neon sign posted on the door: White Men Not Welcome. If you do make the mistake of walking in there (as I used to when my best friend was black), every eye instantly swivels to you, and dialogue bubbles instantly pop out of every male mouth: "Don't touch the bitch."

Yeah, quality venue. :downtown:

I was born and raised in the Midwest and I feel suffocated here and can't wait to get out. I certainly can't blame people from more cosmopolitan, open-minded areas of the country for not wanting to come here. Hell, any player who hits on a girl under the age of 21 is probably met the next day with a mob of pitchforks and shotguns. ;)

Edit: Added obligatory smileys to show I'm joking.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Saw this in SI the other day found it funny to be honest. One thing to take into consideration is that they only polled 296 players in the league and there's more than 1700 in total. That's less than a fifth of the players. Also the fact that Green Bay is probably the only "town" to have a football team. I think many players, especially the flashy young ones, are interested in the life of a big city. Which in my opinion is a good thing, we don't need any troublemakers here.

"djcubez" wrote:

It has been a very long time since I took a statistics class. But I do seem to remember that 296 responses out of a population of 1700 would be statistically large enough group.
I do not remember the equation that would prove this. But I do remember being very surprised that a response from a few hundred would be considered accurate for a group that numbered in the millions. If I could show you the formula I would.
(I suppose they would say that the margin of error would be +/- 4 or 5 😵
UserPostedImage
DGB454
14 years ago

Why is SI carrying this kind of a poll? What good does it do?

"musccy" wrote:

SI does a poll every week.

"wpr" wrote:

...if the vikes were rated as "#1" in this poll would any of us be offended by it?

SI ran a poll that ended up calling out GB on something that most of us hate having to admit, that unless you're from WI, GB isn't the most appealing place in the U.S.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm from Michigan. GB looks pretty appealing to me.
dfosterf
14 years ago

Thank goodness for global warming. It would have sucked to have what happened in the 60's show up on youtube. There was a a series of bad storms, plus some sustained really cold weather, I forget the exact details and the exact year.

ANYWAY, what happened was that some of the snow and ice never went away where they piled it..places like gas stations and stuff.

4th of July, and you would see these ugly black piles of snow and ice in the corners of the gas stations... This would not have appealed to someone from say, Florida.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

Uh, no. It's 69 degrees outside in sunny south florida. I have socks on and i'm freezing, windows are closed. No, a big block of dirty snow would not appeal to me. Waking up to a car that is freezing and has snow all over it wouldnt appeal to me. Sorry, i have to go find my sweatshirt. Bye

"dfosterf" wrote:

They are in the midst of a heat wave, Grave---

Why, just about an hour ago I checked and it was 34. As of this post, it's a blazing 38.... but check out that forecast... ouch.

GBPG; Heatwave looming (NOT!) 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I've always heard and read that the Packers offer was second highest in yearly average for White's services. And that he came here because of the direction he felt the Packers going and because of our QB who he felt was something special. People make it sound like the Packers offered 17 million for four years and the other teams offered 12 million for 4 years or something. Just not the case.

I think Charles Woodson was our 'Reggie White' signing, at least as close as we'll ever get to it. However, Woodson was not a 'big' name back then so maybe that one doesn't count.

And for those who are knocking Green Bay, the town, fuck off. Green Bay owns the shit out of your town. That's right, my city can beat up YOUR city! Take that, snot nose jealous bitches! 199TH LARGEST CITY REPRESENT BIOTCH!!!

I do agree, we need to pay more, but that's true about every team that's not the Patriots, meaning, a perennial dominant force. And remember, the Patriots weren't always able to lure players in either. They built and built through the draft and by shrewd personnel decisions.

It takes time and patience.

Edit, another beef I have, go figure, theres another one eh? Why is SI carrying this kind of a poll? What good does it do? It gives off a negative image of a handful of teams. What's there to gain? I think it was bullshit of SI to do this and it shows how lame they are in their own creative department for new material.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Zero I wish I had the time to find a link to substantiate it. I am positive GB had the largest offer on the table and did so by a substantial amount.
I have a couple of links that imply GB's offer was the most but they do not tell us what the other teams offers where.

link 

Unrestricted free agency descended upon the NFL officially on March 1, 1993. Reggie White quickly became the most visible and sought-after unrestricted free agent after the 1992-93 football season. His contract with the Eagles had expired, and although he claimed that he would not mind staying in Philadelphia, he was not tendered another offer there. As it happened, Green Bay was one of a half dozen teams that bid quite openly for White's services at that time. He flew to Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, Green Bay, New York City, and Washington, D.C., as an all-out war erupted to sign the powerful defensive end. Everywhere he went he was courted not only by team owners, management, and player personnel, but also by ordinary citizens who had heard about his community work and his Christian ethics. In the end, White signed with Wisconsin's Green Bay Packers. The Packers' offer was the most generous financially, with guaranteed earnings of $17 million over four years. Under the contract White became the most highly paid defender in the NFL and a pioneer in the heady new world of unrestricted free agent contracts.

link 

Although he had helped Philadelphia become one of the top teams, the Eagles never won a Super Bowl title. Thirsting for that elusive championship, White made national headlines when he signed withthe Green Bay Packers in 1993. This transaction was significant on several fronts. First, White was the fist significant player available after free agency was introduced into the NFL. He stunned the football world when he chose to sign with Green Bay. At that time, Green Bay was deemed as the Siberia of the NFL. It was the least attractive place for players to go, and was often seen as the place where players went to get punished. With Whites committing to 4 years for $17-million, he instantaneously restored credibility to a franchise that had only made the playoffs twice in the two decades before he arrived.

link 

After leaving the Eagles, White set out on a seven-city tour, lasting 37 days, looking for a position. He wanted to go to a contending team, but it had to be a team where he could continue his inner-city ministry. However, when the Green Bay Packersthen a mediocre team, and a team based in the smallest city in the leagueoffered him a four-year, $17-millon contract, White accepted. Braman, hearing of this, scoffed at White's decision, saying, according to Howard, that it "wasn't made by a ghetto or by God. It was going to be made for the reason most human beings make decisions today, money." The comment troubled White, who did not like his integrity to be questioned. He told Howard, "How dare he speak for what was in my heart? He doesn't know me."

I am convinced if GB had simply met the next best off (which I think was Atlanta) Reggie would not have come to GB.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
14 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

"Gravedigga" wrote:

They are in the midst of a heat wave, Grave---

Why, just about an hour ago I checked and it was 34. As of this post, it's a blazing 38.... but check out that forecast... ouch.

GBPG; Heatwave looming (NOT!) 

"dfosterf" wrote:

I've been to Allentown in the winter. I'll never make that mistake again. I'd go to Wisconsin to see a packer game and some attractions but I would never move there unless there was a job paying 3x what I could make here.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
There was no way Reggie was going anywhere but Green Bay, especially after he recieved "the phone call". :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

There are guys out there who want to be in a winning organization, no matter where it is.

Packers are heading in the right direction, but IMHO need to lure a couple of big name fa's over the winter to come and play in Green Bay, then watch and see if the players attitudes toward Green Bay changes.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Greg C.
14 years ago
Reggie White was a very special player. In some ways he was even more special than Brett Favre. He was so big and so charismatic, and I think the fact that he was black added a lot to his appeal to other black players who came here because of him. He was somebody who they could relate to.

It was all very nice how it worked out with Reggie, but if we expect that to happen again, we are going to be waiting a long, long time. There is no player in the NFL right now who has that kind of appeal, and even if there was, he would be unlikely to become a free agent, as his team would pay him big bucks to stay put.

Some people in this thread have mentioned that the Packers have a solid organization. That is the best way to overcome this negative first impression that many players have of Green Bay. And I don't think the poll takes that into account. I'm assuming that most of the players who were polled have not researched all 32 NFL cities and franchises. But I think that when players enter free agency and take a closer look at things, many of them are impressed by the organization in Green Bay and how well the players are treated here. That probably goes a long way toward making up for the disadvantages of living in a very cold and relatively small city.

In a league with a salary cap, I don't think money is going to make up for the deficit. If the Packers pay well above market value for players, they are going to get themselves into a hole. The keys are to win and to be a solid organization that treats its players well.
blank