ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
Well, that's some hyperbole. With some more hyperbole thrown in.

Barring injury, barring falloff among his supporting cast, barring a shit-ton of things that could happen between now and some 15+ years from now, he certainly could ascend to the heights RP has granted him. Absolutely - he's got the tools and the confidence in those tools to make that happen. As far as the here and now, he's in the top 5 active QBs in my mind, without question.

Beyond that, there's no way I can say definitively he'll pull any of that off. Just like if you'd told me in the early 90s that Favre would end up where he is, I couldn't have agreed with you. There's so much variable shit that can occur in such a span of time.

All that said: I like the sentiment. I like the belief in the Packers' starting QB. And I like that we're all lucky enough to be holding beliefs like this so soon after the guy who's ascended such heights left the team. We're a seriously lucky bunch of fans, for sure.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Whoa, RedSoxExcel thinks Mark Sanchez is better than Aaron Rodgers? Yikes, someone doesn't appreciate our quarterback too much.

heh 😉
UserPostedImage
dhazer
13 years ago

I was actually going to craft a long, well-reasoned, statistically-sound critique of RedSoxExcel's arguments, but I've lost patience with his redundancy.

So I'm just going to ask, "Why the FUCK do you keep harping on his zero playoff wins when he's only played two regular seasons?"

Are you seriously going to try to allege that quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, or Mark Sanchez are somehow ahead of Aaron Rodgers, simply because they have playoff wins?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

We could turn around and say how aren't they ahead of Rodgers? I still think the best QB of all time was Joe Montana and he didn't put up huge stats but found ways to win.
Don't get me wrong I have hopped on the Rodgers bandwagon, he has done what i said he needed for me to do and that is play well for a few years, but there are so many standards to defining a great qb and I think it all starts with the win loss record and Rodgers has some work to do on that this year. Hell you want to go by stats then the best qb of all time would have to be Warren Moon with all the stats he had from the CFL and NFL.

Rodgers has proven to be a top 10 qb but not elite yet, as was stated during the game, he needs to get some hardware first before he goes elite.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
There are times in my life where I get something wrong, really, really wrong. Like losing $43k in one day in stocks. That was really, really wrong.

Even more wrong, thinking that trading Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss would be a good thing for the Packers. I was really, really wrong.

If Rodgers turns out to be one of the 3 best QBs in history, it would be history repeating itself. Joe Montana left the Niners as arguably the best QB in my lifetime. Then Steve Young came along and showed he was just as good as Montana.

Favre is my favorite player ever, but I'm really starting to like this kid from Chico. Unfortunately for me, the kid moved to San Diego and won't be in Chico when I move there. :(

Rodgers is turning into Favre without the INTs. I'm loving it. :thumbright:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

I was actually going to craft a long, well-reasoned, statistically-sound critique of RedSoxExcel's arguments, but I've lost patience with his redundancy.

So I'm just going to ask, "Why the FUCK do you keep harping on his zero playoff wins when he's only played two regular seasons?"

Are you seriously going to try to allege that quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, or Mark Sanchez are somehow ahead of Aaron Rodgers, simply because they have playoff wins?

"dhazer" wrote:

We could turn around and say how aren't they ahead of Rodgers? I still think the best QB of all time was Joe Montana and he didn't put up huge stats but found ways to win.
Don't get me wrong I have hopped on the Rodgers bandwagon, he has done what i said he needed for me to do and that is play well for a few years, but there are so many standards to defining a great qb and I think it all starts with the win loss record and Rodgers has some work to do on that this year. Hell you want to go by stats then the best qb of all time would have to be Warren Moon with all the stats he had from the CFL and NFL.

Rodgers has proven to be a top 10 qb but not elite yet, as was stated during the game, he needs to get some hardware first before he goes elite.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Not that I disagree with you at all, but there's a difference being legacy good, and currently good. Rodgers is, now, at this time, a top 5 QB. But if football was declared illegal as of right now, Brady, P. Manning, Favre, Roethlisberger, E. Manning and multiple other current QBs would be remembered as being better.

I think Rodgers is an elite QB. Proof? The ring he will be wearing in 6 months.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Hell you want to go by stats then the best qb of all time would have to be Warren Moon with all the stats he had from the CFL and NFL.

"dhazer" wrote:

I hear this idea thrown around all the time, and while it sounds good on paper, it is patently false. There is no comparison between Moon's and Rodgers' statistics at all. Moon threw the ball a lot, so he racked up big numbers. But in fact, he was not a very effective passer. His career passer rating is 80.9 -- somewhere deep in the 30s when it comes to career passer ratings for quarterbacks. Rodgers, by contrast, is a scintillatingly effective passer with an extraordinary career passer rating (currently the highest in league history after two years). Yes, Rodgers is racking up huge numbers, but he's doing so in an effective manner that benefits the team. While Warren Moon's career postseason winning percentage was .300, I have no doubt Rodgers will exceed that in short order. He's played in a grand total of ONE playoff game, in which he put up some of the greatest numbers in postseason history.

"dhazer" wrote:

You're right. Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel wrote:

You're right. Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback.

"dhazer" wrote:

He had hardware, I think he wore knee braces quite a bit.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
DakotaT
13 years ago

Judas H. Priest. Let's go with "cautiously optimistic" for the continued success of Rodgers and the Pack.

OR

We can start another meaningless discussion relating to the "true" accuracy of a little bit of hyperbole subsequent to a very nice smack-down of a very good team by our QB and co.

I'm going with option "a", including slurping on the green and gold hyperbolic kool-aid, for at least the next few days until our next pre-season game.

:thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Gunny, why don't you just make these word twisters do infinity pull ups.

I'll settle this fricken argument right now. All of you, who do you take as your quarterback going forward from this season?

I'm taking Rodgers and not even thinking about it. That makes him a current elite QB.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
I'm with redsox and finland on this one.

Don't get me wrong, my mancrush on Finley is exceeded only by my mancrush on Rodgers, however finland had a great point...if football were to stop today, would rodgers be thought of as one of the greats?

Also, look at Strasburg, no doubt he has as much upside as anyone in baseball...but with his impending tommy john's surgery, will he fulfill the potential to become a nolan ryan or will he go down the Mark Prior/Kerry Wood path?

Again, there's nobody I'd rather have as a QB right now than A.R. because he could easily be the most dominant QB of the next decade...but 2 years does not make an elite career.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Musccy - If football stopped in 1994, Favre wouldn't be one of the greats. However, he went on to have the best consecutive 3 years by a QB ever. There's more a chance of Rodgers becoming the next Favre (although without the untimely INTs) than just another nobody.

Anyways, the statement I prefer is Dakota's. If you could have any starting 32 QBs, who would you take over Rodgers? I'd take no one. Yup, no one. Rodgers has youth, mobility, and unarguably one of the most accurate passers playing today. The only one I'd consider is Drew Brees but Brees is 30 and Rodgers is 26. There is a chance that Rodgers will get his 2nd SB ring by the time he's Brees' age.

Now for all the Peyton Manning man love that I hear every single freaking time he's playing, Manning had ZERO Playoff wins at Rodgers' age. Rodgers had a spectacular performance in the Playoffs. He just made the mistake of not playing DB as well as QB. He threw 4 TDs and ran in for another one. That should have been enough to win just about any game.

Manning on the other hand at Rodgers age got shut out, throwing 0 TDs and 2 INTs, throwing for under 150 yards with 17 yards as his longest completion.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷