dfosterf
14 years ago

To me, this isn't about McCarthy as it is about the organization.

Frankly, I stopped listening to McCarthy's public comments a long time ago. Whatever the reason, I've realized he's not going to say anything that isn't Fleischerized, and Fleischerized ineptly, anymore; so I'm just going to chalk it up to "well, he doesn't do the press well and so long as he puts a good team on the field I'll deal with it by ignoring it. (And if he doesn't I'll criticise him as a field coach.)

But when management as a whole (be it Thompson, or McCarthy, or whoever makes the decisions about hiring/firing assistant maintenance peons) comes off over and over and over as inept publicly, then I worry.

I mean, if this is indeed an isolated case of a cancerous or idiot employee, an organization the size of the packers should be able to handle it without it becoming a media firestorm. I mean, we're talking about American sports media here -- the people who give us sideline reporting and ESPN suckups and know-nothings as the pinnacle of their profession. A halfway decent PR department should be able to have them for breakfast.

Companies in the entertainment biz, companies that live in the public eye, have to be PR-conscious. I get that. But they shouldn't be such PR fuckups.

And the best that can be said of all this -- not the worst, but the *best* -- is that the Packers are utter fuckups at PR.

"Wade" wrote:

You are hitting on a lot of it Wade, but also consider another factor in our various and sundry debacles of late.

It has often been said that smart management can "turn on a dime"

I have seen quite a bit of evidence that this organization has the "turning radius" outside that of the Exxon Valdez.

They just seem slow to react to just about anything. I have noticed this in public relations, in free agency, in getting contract deals done (that is not just Ted, believe me...I have researched the machinations, as best one can with public information)

When I reflect, this plodding has caused much grief of late.

Something to ponder, and I know you are an outstanding ponder er. :thumbleft:
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

You are hitting on a lot of it Wade, but also consider another factor in our various and sundry debacles of late.

It has often been said that smart management can "turn on a dime"

I have seen quite a bit of evidence that this organization has the "turning radius" outside that of the Exxon Valdez.

They just seem slow to react to just about anything. I have noticed this in public relations, in free agency, in getting contract deals done (that is not just Ted, believe me...I have researched the machinations, as best one can with public information)

When I reflect, this plodding has caused much grief of late.

Something to ponder, and I know you are an outstanding ponder er. :thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Good point, foster.

I've always been a plodder myself. And it has caused me an increasing level of professional grief over the years because, right or wrong, one of the key skills in today's world is speedy adaptability. And I think you're absolutely right that its especially true in management of organizations that are defined in a public sphere.

You need to play for the long haul (that's the part the Dan Snyder's of the NFL don't get), but you need to play quickly. You have to act quickly, decisively, yet somehow still make decisions that are long-run sound.

In the old world you could choose one or the other. In today's, you have to do both. You have to have the steadiness of the tortoise AND the speed of the hare.

I definitely can identify with the current GB management -- like I said, I'm a plodder by nature. I'm not management material, no way, no how.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I am personally sick of watching my beloved franchise chastised in the press.

"pack93z" wrote:

I hear and understand that.

---- separate note ---
When you read word for word what was said about the exchange, you will see how many newspapers and writers are twisting this into something worse than it appears.

I've went through a few posts on this page and I see contradictions while they have access to the quotes themselves. To me, that's a blatant attempt to find something to bitch about.

I guess I just don't like jumping to conclusions without doing my due diligence on it.

As I did say earlier. If the worst did happen, that this guy said something to Mike McCarthy about "don't lay an egg" or "don't choke this one away", and Mike McCarthy told his supervisor "that kind of verbal exchange is inappropriate" and he "wouldn't have that on his staff" ... which could easily be implied as to fire his ass ... I think that's more on the supervisor than mm. The coach has no bounds to fire the maintenance staff at all. Unless the Packers are lying.

In the same breathe, the Packers organization is supposed to about class, from top to bottom. Spouting off like that is not classy at all. So, let's all just feel bad for the guy who allegedly spouted off.

If Mike McCarthy pushed for the guy to be fired, I think that's wrong.
If the guy was fired for spouting off, I think that's justifiable.

To me, it's a fine line. And fact is, I don't know the whole story. I, again, know this, I'm not going to go blow a gasket on the matter without knowing what's going on. I'm going to continue blowing a gasket on our OL and Grant getting more carries than Green.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
gotarace
14 years ago
Mike McCarthy has to remember a tidbit of knowledge passed on to me when i replaced the plant manager at our business... "Big Wheels Get Pissed On By Little Dogs". His bloated ego has reached new heights here and we need to lance this boil.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
RaiderPride
14 years ago
One thing for sure...

If the Packers Lose On Sunday...

One of the local papers headline will be...

"Packers Lay An Egg."
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
macbob
14 years ago

Five faxes, my phone call... that shit is irrelevant. My "theory" remains that Mike McCarthy bitched about it, the guy's boss over-reacted, and shit-canned the guy.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Sounds like that is indeed what happened:

I was taken back by it, naturally. I walk through that loading dock every day, a comment was made, I comment backed, got in the car and enquired with Alan (Johnson).

you heard him say "dont lay an egg": He made a comment to me, I made a comment to him.

Did you ask for him to be fired: Absolutely not.

Did you recommend that he be fired: It was a one-minute conversation.

What did he say: It's not the worst thing I've ever heard.

Did you play a part in the decision: It's not my responsibility.

What did you say to him: he made a comment, I made a comment back to him.

"IronMan" wrote:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

"dfosterf" wrote:

And he is STILL PARSING HIS WORDS.

Did you ask for him to be fired?

Answer: "Absolutely not."

Good answer.

Did you recommend that he be fired?

Answer: "It was a one-minute conversation."

Bad answer. A classic Mike McCarthy answer. He had his warning shots across the bow. No one can tell me that he is not fully briefed on the outrage that this story is generating.

He is either obfuscating or just that fucking stupid.

How about, for example...

Did you recommend that he be fired?

See how easy that is Mike?

This smells bad.

Now look at the rest.

Did you play a part in the decision?

Answer: "It's not my responsibility."

Bad answer, again, especially in the context of the previous bad answer.

How about, for example...

Did you play a part in the decision?

See how easy that is Mike?

This guy should be re-instated IMMEDIATELY.

What gets me is that the answers Mike McCarthy is giving are like ones I'd expect from my 13 year old boy. We constantly have discussions like this where I have to tell him "I didn't ask you how long the conversation was, I asked you, did you tell his supervisor he should be fired?" Same with the responsibility comment.

My boy gives these answers when he thinks the real answer will get him in trouble and he doesn't want to give me the real answer.

Whether he actually played a part in it or not, it lends the appearance that Mike McCarthy would like to hide the part he played. And if I find his way of dealing with this issue unacceptable in a 13 year old boy, then I certainly find them unacceptable in the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

What gets me is that the answers Mike McCarthy is giving are like ones I'd expect from my 13 year old boy. We constantly have discussions like this where I have to tell him "I didn't ask you how long the conversation was, I asked you, did you tell his supervisor he should be fired?" Same with the responsibility comment.

My boy gives these answers when he thinks the real answer will get him in trouble and he doesn't want to give me the real answer.

Whether he actually played a part in it or not, it lends the appearance that Mike McCarthy would like to hide the part he played. And if I find his way of dealing with this issue unacceptable in a 13 year old boy, then I certainly find them unacceptable in the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

"macbob" wrote:

+1
starrgazer
14 years ago
Someone had to be fired,This guy seems like it didn't bother him to much. This is a start,now get to the off. line coach. Ican't believe that all these players are not functional. Christ, Law of averages says you have to hit once in a while. Meanwhile I think i could coach this team better than Mike,But then again if I was Prez Afghanistan would have taken about Two Weeks to end. MAYBE I'M JUST CRAZY!!!
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If you think you could have finished Afghanistan in two weeks, you clearly have not the faintest understanding of Middle Eastern political dynamics. The USSR couldn't bring Afghanistan to its knees after 15 years of occupation; what makes you think you'd know better?

/off-topic

By the way, I see you're the newest member of the forum. Welcome to the boards.
UserPostedImage