14 years ago

IT'S NOT A MOSQUE, PEOPLE.

"Wade" wrote:

You've made this point several times now, MassPackersFan. I'm still a bit confused, though, as to why it matters.

It seems to me that the "trying to stop it" arguments are badly flawed regardless. (Sorry, Cheesey, while I think I agree with you an awful lot of the time on religious and political matters, on this one I think you are wrong.) They're flawed because they are overgeneralizing about Muslims (the point made by Fin and others). And, more importantly, they're flawed because they are too driven by fear and not enough by recognition of the importance of freedom even for those we're scared of.

But I don't see why whether the building in question is a mosque or not matters. I suppose a mosque would implicate "freedom of religion" in a way that a "community center" does not. But a "community center" implicates "freedom of association" in more ways. And both implication the freedom re: property that Paul in the original article and 4PackGirl most recently in this thread talked about.

Now if you're just going on about being precise in language and the facts of the case....well, then I'm with you. Precision should be something we take seriously. :)

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

If the discussion were purely rational, it wouldn't matter at all, you're right. But there is an insane amount of fear mongering going on about this conversation, and I figure if we start letting the facts "slip" then it'll be a slippery slope. We've already had someone here imply that a ground zero mosque is a Muslim/terrorist attempt to claim the area as a victory site for their war against freedom/America/Christianity/decency/whatever. Because we all know they love to swim laps and shoot buckets to rub their victories against the West in our faces.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
ok. thanks.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago
For the record, nobody can take over America. We got 300 million people and something like 370 million firearms in private ownership. Don't quote me on that number because it's so varied as every source is completely different. (The fact is, nobody knows).

Even with China's 1.3 billion people, they couldn't do it. Nobody wins a large scale guerrilla war nowadays.

What a lot of Americans don't realize is just how divided "Muslim countries" are. There's been plenty of fighting between "Muslim countries."

I'm not saying this to be tolerant of Islam. The fact is, I'm not. I can't stand the way they treat women. But like it or not, we have Freedom of Religion in this country and I don't believe in compromising ANY of the Bill of Rights.

I know it's not a Mosque. But if it were a Mosque, they have every Right to build it. It would just be bad taste.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
14 years ago
I was just messing around with the China thing.

We'd blow the world up before anyone would take us over. :thumbright:
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Hmm....

What you just said reminded me of an old Far Side cartoon where there was a nuclear war and the cockroaches were cheering.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
14 years ago
Here's a little test. See how many you get correct.

HERE'S THE TEST

1. 1968, Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by:
a. Superman
b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter
d. A Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40

2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by:
a. Olga Corbett
b. Sitting Bull
c. Arnold Schwarzenegger
d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

3. In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:
a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis
c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women

4. During the 1980s a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:
a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts

5. In 1983 the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Geraldo Rivera

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70-year-old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:
a. The Smurfs
b. Davey Jones
c. The Little Mermaid

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens and a U.S. Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:
a. Captain Kidd
b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa

8. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
a. Scooby Doo
b. The Tooth Fairy
c. The Sundance Kid

9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:
a. Richard Simmons
b. Grandma Moses
c. Michael Jordan

10. In 1998 the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
a. Mr. Rogers
b. Hillary Clinton, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems
c. The World Wrestling Federation

11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked. Two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Center. Of the remaining two, one crashed into the U.S. Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:
a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
b. The Supreme Court of Florida
c. Mr Bean

12. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:
a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL

13. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:
a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c. Billy Graham

14. And now we can add: In 2009, 31 people wounded and 13 American Soldiers murdered on base at Fort Hood by a Major who was known as...
a: You guessed it - A Muslim male extremist between the age of 17 and 40.

So.....how many did you get right?
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
The only thing that test proves it that there are Muslim's who kill people.

If you take every murderer or extreme person in the history and look at what religion they practice, you'll find a variety of religious beliefs. Not just one!

We know there are terrorists. We're at war with them. This isn't a secret or breaking news. But we're not at war with Islam. There is a difference and whats going on is people are labeling them together. And this is as wrong as telling a black person to sit in the back of the bus because he or she is black. This isn't the 21st century crusades that we're fighting.
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
That's a retarded argument cheesey.

Hundreds of people have been killed in The Troubles in Northern Ireland due to religion. And it's not like both of the sides are of completely different faith. They're both Christians, and they still kill each other, still perform terrorist attacks and still kill innocents.

Yet, not all christians are not terrorists, as you seem to imply in your latest post about muslims. Reality check time.
This is a placeholder
Dulak
14 years ago
As far as the debate about building a mosque near ground zero I dont have a answer too; but comparing the muslim relgion to soccer is a joke be like comparing nazis too ball room dancing.

As far as people being weary of a religion that often sponsors terrorists I can agree with this. And this goes for all relgions ... until its leaders condemn strongly these acts then IMO we will still see things like this occure.

btw Ive talked to a fair amount of your typical muslims here in london and a fair amount think that it was a good idea to blow up those towers in new york. Take that what you will.
my question again is why do they think this and not think that it was wrong?

probably the same reason why many people think that it was right to invade iraq.
14 years ago
This thread has some of the most transparent bigotry that I have ever encountered on the internet, and that's saying quite a bit. Yes, I'm looking at you Cheesey.
UserPostedImage