Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Demagoguing the Mosque and Islam 
By Ron Paul
Published 08/23/10

Is the controversy over building a mosque near ground zero a grand distraction or a grand opportunity? Or is it, once again, grandiose demagoguery?

It has been said, "Nero fiddled while Rome burned." Are we not overly preoccupied with this controversy, now being used in various ways by grandstanding politicians? It looks to me like the politicians are "fiddling while the economy burns."

The debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque.

Instead, we hear lip service given to the property rights position while demanding that the need to be "sensitive" requires an all-out assault on the building of a mosque, several blocks from "ground zero."

Just think of what might (not) have happened if the whole issue had been ignored and the national debate stuck with war, peace, and prosperity. There certainly would have been a lot less emotionalism on both sides. The fact that so much attention has been given the mosque debate, raises the question of just why and driven by whom?

In my opinion it has come from the neo-conservatives who demand continual war in the Middle East and Central Asia and are compelled to constantly justify it.

They never miss a chance to use hatred toward Muslims to rally support for the ill conceived preventative wars. A select quote from soldiers from in Afghanistan and Iraq expressing concern over the mosque is pure propaganda and an affront to their bravery and sacrifice.

The claim is that we are in the Middle East to protect our liberties is misleading. To continue this charade, millions of Muslims are indicted and we are obligated to rescue them from their religious and political leaders. And, we're supposed to believe that abusing our liberties here at home and pursuing unconstitutional wars overseas will solve our problems.

The nineteen suicide bombers didn't come from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan or Iran. Fifteen came from our ally Saudi Arabia, a country that harbors strong American resentment, yet we invade and occupy Iraq where no al Qaeda existed prior to 9/11.

Many fellow conservatives say they understand the property rights and 1st Amendment issues and don't want a legal ban on building the mosque. They just want everybody to be "sensitive" and force, through public pressure, cancellation of the mosque construction.

This sentiment seems to confirm that Islam itself is to be made the issue, and radical religious Islamic views were the only reasons for 9/11. If it became known that 9/11 resulted in part from a desire to retaliate against what many Muslims saw as American aggression and occupation, the need to demonize Islam would be difficult if not impossible.

There is no doubt that a small portion of radical, angry Islamists do want to kill us but the question remains, what exactly motivates this hatred?

If Islam is further discredited by making the building of the mosque the issue, then the false justification for our wars in the Middle East will continue to be acceptable.

The justification to ban the mosque is no more rational than banning a soccer field in the same place because all the suicide bombers loved to play soccer.

Conservatives are once again, unfortunately, failing to defend private property rights, a policy we claim to cherish. In addition conservatives missed a chance to challenge the hypocrisy of the left which now claims they defend property rights of Muslims, yet rarely if ever, the property rights of American private businesses.

Defending the controversial use of property should be no more difficult than defending the 1st Amendment principle of defending controversial speech. But many conservatives and liberals do not want to diminish the hatred for Islam -- the driving emotion that keeps us in the wars in the Middle East and Central Asia.

It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don't want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators. Statistics of support is irrelevant when it comes to the purpose of government in a free society -- protecting liberty.

The outcry over the building of the mosque, near ground zero, implies that Islam alone was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. According to those who are condemning the building of the mosque, the nineteen suicide terrorists on 9/11 spoke for all Muslims. This is like blaming all Christians for the wars of aggression and occupation because some Christians supported the neo-conservatives' aggressive wars.

The House Speaker is now treading on a slippery slope by demanding an investigation to find out just who is funding the mosque -- a bold rejection of property rights, 1st Amendment rights, and the Rule of Law -- in order to look tough against Islam.

This is all about hate and Islamaphobia.

We now have an epidemic of "sunshine patriots" on both the right and the left who are all for freedom, as long as there's no controversy and nobody is offended.

Political demagoguery rules when truth and liberty are ignored.

UserPostedImage
alharrisdude31
14 years ago
as soon as i read the first 2 paragraphs, i couldnt read the rest, does america have the balls to do this? i guess 9.11 never happened now
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Great job missing the entire point of the article. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
9/11 happened.

So did the Patriot Act.

Which is indicative of the greater threat?

To my mind, it isn't even close.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago

9/11 happened.

So did the Patriot Act.

"Wade" wrote:

I have a strong feeling we see eye to eye on this issue.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

9/11 happened.

So did the Patriot Act.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I have a strong feeling we see eye to eye on this issue.

"Wade" wrote:

I expect we do. :)

To my mind, there was only one national politician worthy of the name when it came to the Patriot Act vote.

And of all people, it turned out to be Russ Feingold.

But worse that that is how easy the rest have found it to manipulate the fears of "average Americans."
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Yup. NSD said it in another thread how today, we use the word "terrorists" like we used the word "communists" in the 50s.

No fan of Feingold but I guess everyone gets something right.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
alharrisdude31
14 years ago

Great job missing the entire point of the article. :)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

i dont need to read it all, either way im going to miss the point
Formo
14 years ago
Interesting article. While I don't always agree with Ron Paul.. I'm finding I'm agreeing with him more often.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
So....the fact that Muslims often build their mosques around places they "conquered" has NOTHING to do with them wanting to build one at ground zero. O....k.
You believe that???
I'll agree to let them build them where ever the hell they want when they let CHRISTIANS and JEWS build their churches and synagoges in th eir COUNTRIES. You know....without killing them for NOT being Muslim.......or killing Muslims that convert to Christianity.
It amazes me that they come to America, "USE" our laws to protect their "rights"......but in their own lands, they kill anyone that doesn't agree with them.
And people here want to feel sorry for THEM?
How about they build their damn building somewhere else? if they had ANY concern for the people that died at the hands of the radical Muslims that did that horrible act, they never would have tried to put it there in the first place.

But that's just it. They WANT to push it as far as the "dumb Americans" will LET them.
If it was one of MY loved ones that died in the cowardly attack, i'd be out there protesting every day.
But that's just me i guess.
UserPostedImage