Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco wants to honor Chris Henry on Sunday by wearing his jersey. The NFL has said that Ochocinco won't be permitted to wear Henry's jersey. We've previously said that we support his efforts in this regard, even if it means that he'll be fined by the league.

Now, George Atallah of the NFL Players Association has announced on his Twitter page that the union "will cover any fine levied on [Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco] . . . and match it with a gift to our Chris Henry memorial fund."

The situation sets up a potential legal battle between the league and the NFLPA, with the union undoubtedly hoping to score P.R. points in advance of a potential 2011 lockout.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello previously has explained to us in relation to Saints running back Reggie Bush's past intention to wear non-conforming cleats that no other entity may pay the fine imposed on a player for violating the league's uniform rules. We've sent an e-mail to Aiello requesting confirmation that this policy still exists. (We assume it does.)

And if it does, the union could be treading on dangerous ground. Under the labor agreement, fines imposed by the league are collected directly from the player's salary. So the union wouldn't be paying the fine; it would be making a cash payment to Chad Ochocinco.

But since the union is a federally-regulated non-profit entity that must answer not only to the government but also to its members, a direct payment to a player who was fined for engaging in conduct that violates the unambiguous content of league rules might invite scrutiny from one or more federal agencies -- especially if neither NFLPA Executive Director De Smith nor the union's Executive Committee possess the authority to make such payments directly to individual players.

So keep an eye on this one. We think the union is desperate to find a way to get the public on its side as 2011 approaches. The union possibly is hoping to provoke a showdown that could help in its quest to shine a negative light on the No Fun League.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are caught in the middle of this. The team has full control over the locker room and its contents, and the team can either refuse to give a player a certain jersey or instruct him not to leave the locker room in something other than his assigned uniform.

Likewise, it's possible that the league would prohibit Ochocinco from entering the game wearing anything other than his own jersey.

The real question becomes whether the league intends to draw a line in the sand on this issue. If the league does, it might play directly into the union's obvious P.R. goals.

Personally, I hope he does it, gets a fine and does what Peter King suggested. Where the 15, auction it off and put the proceedings into a trust fund for Chris Henry's three children.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Or, how about not wearing the jersey and drawing attention to himself, and just donate to the family in private and let them grieve for a bloody game or two?
blank
Porforis
14 years ago
The sport is getting too sensational, sorry. If you want to donate money to the memorial fund, do it but don't make a game out of it. At some point, you have to adhere to the rules of the game and the league. You knew the rules when you signed on, this rule hasn't changed since then. If you don't like it, do something else with your life.

Personally, I think that equipment violations like this should be ejectable in most cases.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Or, how about not wearing the jersey and drawing attention to himself, and just donate to the family in private and let them grieve for a bloody game or two?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I'm sure Chad was thinking, when learning of his friends passing, 'golly gosh my oh me, how can i use this to get attention on me me me!!'.

I don't see this as a way for Chad to garner attention to himself, I see this as a way to have 15 on the field one last time in honor of his friend. Maybe I'm a sucker for the good side of people, but I will assure you this. I'd rather be that sucker, than the prick who knocks people's positive efforts down.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'm a diehard rebel myself, but I don't see how this can be spun as anything other than flagrant rebellion against rules to which both sides negotiated and contracted, no matter what he may claim his intentions to be. If he wants his friend to be honored, have the team raise his jersey on a banner at halftime or something.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The sport is getting too sensational, sorry. If you want to donate money to the memorial fund, do it but don't make a game out of it. At some point, you have to adhere to the rules of the game and the league. You knew the rules when you signed on, this rule hasn't changed since then. If you don't like it, do something else with your life.

Personally, I think that equipment violations like this should be ejectable in most cases.

"Porforis" wrote:

The rules are plenty and more than needed. Plummer wasn't allowed to honor Tillman, Manning wasn't allowed to honor Unitas, etc ... allowing such exceptions would not hurt the NFL, it would show a positive light on the NFL and the men being honored.

I like the idea of wearing Henry's jersey, but I think a team wide decal sewn on to the jersey would be better.

I don't think they should be eject-able as that just goes with the insane depths of the rules already in place. The NFL is a job and business, no question, but there's no reason it needs to be uptight about things. LIGHTEN UP A LITTLE!
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm sure Chad was thinking, when learning of his friends passing, 'golly gosh my oh me, how can i use this to get attention on me me me!!'.

I don't see this as a way for Chad to garner attention to himself, I see this as a way to have 15 on the field one last time in honor of his friend. Maybe I'm a sucker for the good side of people, but I will assure you this. I'd rather be that sucker, than the prick who knocks people's positive efforts down.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

From Chad JOHNSON, a self-less act? Maybe if this was a once off. C'mon, he changed his name to his jersey number for crying out loud.

I'm not saying he's purposely doing it for himself only. I would imagine he'd be thinking "what can *I* do to honour Chris?" rather than "maybe if I wore his number so soon it would draw too much attention upon myself". He seems like the type of egotist who doesn't even know how narcissistic he is. But don't for a second think it's all about Chris Henry.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
For ONE GAME, why not let him do it? What's the big deal?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'm not saying the NFL shouldn't let him do it. I'm saying he should apply for permission through the proper channels, and if permission is denied, he should abide by the ruling.

It's not like this is a free-speech issue. Players have no freedom of speech in the NFL context. The NFL and Bengals organization are fully within their rights to prohibit him from taking this action if they deem it detrimental to their interests.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
I would rather if he wear his own jersey, but if he scored a TD, it would involve some sort of tribute to Chris Henry.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (11h) : NOT
wpr (11h) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
54m / Random Babble / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.