macbob
13 years ago
Those were interesting stats, Packz.

Some things that stood out:

The highest pass-to-run ratios (Ariz, Wash, Ind, NO) this year is 63/37%. Not one team has a higher ratio.

There are only 6 teams (previous 4 + Den & Det) that have a ratio as high as 60/40%. Everyone else is 59/41% or lower.

The top two teams by wins (Atl & NE) have 54/46% ratios (by coincidence, the ratio that the 49ers had over 20 years when they were at/near the top of the NFL).

Of the top 9 teams by wins (10-5 or better), 7 have a pass/run ratio 54/46% or lower (NE, Chi, Atl, Bal, Pit, KC, NYJ), with only NO (63/37%) and Phi (57/43%) higher.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Want a direct correlation and proof that teams should respect our running attack when we feed them the ball..

When our backs carry the ball more than 20 times.

We are 7-1 (Our one loss came without our starting QB)

When our backs don't run the ball at least 20 times.

We are 1-5

Hmmm interesting eh.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I agree that PA helps and that GB needs to run the ball to help the passing game.
But your above stats don't mean a whole lot. Teams that are losing tend to pass more in order to catch up. Teams that are winning tend to run the ball more as they try to work the clock.

It is an oversimplification but it shows that there is more to the equation that running helps win games. There are other factors to consider.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Wayne.. I agree that there is more to it than that.. no doubt.

But Zombie throws stats like candy on a playground.. I can throw stats out back that support the element of my stance.

A post from another thread... I don't think it is fail proof or vital to winning ever game.. but it improves your chances. The above numbers support that theory.. that is all.

I would love for someone to develop any statistic that is fool proof and compelling past the final score in this sport, including passing.

In such a dynamic team game as this, there is many way to win or lose a game.

The closest statistic would probably be time of possession or turnovers.

"Pack93z" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
macbob
13 years ago

Want a direct correlation and proof that teams should respect our running attack when we feed them the ball..

When our backs carry the ball more than 20 times.

We are 7-1 (Our one loss came without our starting QB)

When our backs don't run the ball at least 20 times.

We are 1-5

Hmmm interesting eh.

"wpr" wrote:

I agree that PA helps and that GB needs to run the ball to help the passing game.
But your above stats don't mean a whole lot. Teams that are losing tend to pass more in order to catch up. Teams that are winning tend to run the ball more as they try to work the clock.

It is an oversimplification but it shows that there is more to the equation that running helps win games. There are other factors to consider.

"Pack93z" wrote:

WPR-

Yes, being behind has an impact, but even the teams constantly behing their opponents--and constantly in the position of having to pass to catch up--are not throwing the ball at a 65% rate, much less the 70%+ that has been called for on this site.

NOT ONE TEAM has a pass ratio higher than 63%.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
The impacts of running the ball, IMO, have a greater impact then some want to believe though.... not limited to the yards accumulated on the ground.

I have tried time and time again to explain.. just doesn't get through.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Wayne.. I agree that there is more to it than that.. no doubt.

But Zombie throws stats like candy on a playground.. I can throw stats out back that support the element of my stance.

A post from another thread... I don't think it is fail prove or vital to win ever game.. but it improves your chances. That is all.

I would love for someone to develop any statistic that is fool proof and compelling past the final score in this sport, including passing.

In such a dynamic team game as this, there is many way to win or lose a game.

The closest statistic would probably be time of possession or turnovers.

"Pack93z" wrote:

"Pack93z" wrote:

I realize you know. Just chiming in with my two cents. Fans, in general, have simple solutions to complex problems. I love quoting stats as a justification for my position but sometimes there are underlying reasons behind the stats.

I was expecting someone to mention that GB lost by 3-4 points and didn't need to abandon their game plan in order to win.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

The impacts of running the ball, IMO, have a greater impact then some want to believe though.... not limited to the yards accumulated on the ground.

I have tried time and time again to explain.. just doesn't get through.

"Pack93z" wrote:

IMO, there's a minimum running game required to attract the defenses attention. The minimum is based on attempting to run, not yardage, but the more effective a running game/more yardage you make, the more the defense has to pay attention to the run and the bigger the improvement in your passing game.

Historically, that % hovers in the 60% range or less. It's not a guarantee of a win (that would be ridiculous), but it does improve your passing game, which improves your offense, which improves your likelihood of winning games.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

"Pack93z" wrote:

And this is why I'm done arguing this argument.

I did a shitload of research analyzing what it takes to win the Super Bowl. It started with Raider Pride saying "Defense wins Championships" and in the effort to prove him wrong, I proved him right. I found that if we take all the stats there are, the one that had the highest rates of a SB winning team is the #1 D.

Then I found what is more effective - an elite QB or an elite RB. It became obvious an elite QB was more effective and it wasn't even close. I proved all this with hours of research. This stuff isn't exactly easy to do.

In fact, it was so skewed that my conclusion was #1 D is the #1 qualifier for winning the SB. 2nd is an elite QB who doesn't throw INTs in important games. The elite RB couldn't even be considered because it didn't matter. In fact, the elite RB didn't have that much bearing on a team's record, period.

Now if you want to take all the research I've done and just say I'm throwing stats around without any meaning, then you can take my college degree too and I must have apparently paid off my professors as well as I apparently don't know what I'm doing with research, right?

Do you even realize how condescending what you said is? I actually take pride in what I'm doing here. I find football fascinating and would like to believe I'm a contributing member to this forum.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
13 years ago
Zombie.. it was intended to be a joke.. if it offended I am truly sorry.

My comment was meant in the number of statistical numbers you put up was extensive..

I apologize once again if I offended and sounded condescending.. that was not the intent.

I understand your frustration with the stats.. I littered this thread and the playground thread with stats countering the pass heavy ratio but they are ignored as well.

Last two games I have been happy with the mix and the amount of totes.. but I took a bit of offense to being told that basically I am blind with what I see.. then post a visual and get told again that they didn't bite.

Nobody is biting on the run. That's definitely a sign that people are seeing what they want to see.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

But I did not intent to come off as condescending. I was wrong again in that matter in my framing of my post.
Greg C.
13 years ago
Like Zombie, my main beef was with people who were saying that you can't win a championship if you don't have a good running game. Two out of the three best teams of the past decade--the Colts and Patriots--are very pass-oriented teams (the other team is the Steelers). They've shown that if you have a really good passing game, especially a short passing game, you don't need a good running game. I would be fine with the Packers following that model.

However, I will also say that more emphasis on the run has seemed to work better for the Packers this year. Maybe it's because the O-line is just not stout enough to pass protect on play after play when the defense is expecting the pass. Maybe it's because our receivers can't get open consistently enough for that kind of offense to work. Or maybe it's because our QB, although he's great, is not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning--at least not yet.

As for the won-loss records, as wpr pointed out (and as I've pointed out ad nauseum every time the subject comes up) they are skewed because teams that are leading run more and teams that are trailing pass more. And I think the Packers' numbers are more skewed than usual this year because they've won only one close game as far as I can recall--the season opener against the Eagles. Blowout wins are the ones where offenses really pile up the rushing attempts.

I like what pack93z says about the mentality of running the ball more, though. I think he's right that the O-linemen buy into it because they get to hit people instead of being hit. Our O-linemen seem to need that little ego boost, so I say let 'em have it.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (44m) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (1h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (5h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (5h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (22h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (23h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.