Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Number of attempts opens passing game 

The Green Bay Packers have rushed the ball a combined 73 times during the last two games the most over a two-game span this season. The offense never had a stretch so dedicated to the run in 2009.

The rush game has been wildly inconsistent since the Packers lost Ryan Grant to injury in the season opener. The offense ranks No. 22 in the league with an average of 103.1 yards a game.

The effectiveness of the run game has improved in the last two weeks although the Packers have averaged just 3.6 yards per carry.

Coach Mike McCarthy said hes more concerned with rushing attempts than actual yardage.

When our attempts are where they have been the last couple weeks, thats the vision of the offense, McCarthy said. The vision of the offense is not to go out and line up with five wide receivers for 35 snaps. Thats not what were trying to do here. I think sometimes thats what people try to say thats what were trying to do here. I think the quarterbacks and receivers like to do that. But this is not a game of seven-on-seven.

Its a game that starts at the line of scrimmage, and its important to the success of the quarterback, which the system is ultimately built around, making him successful, that you need to run the ball.

There havent been many breakout runs, but negative runs have been all but eliminated. The Packers had four runs out of 35 that went for negative yards Sunday against the New York Giants, and all were one-yard losses.

Certainly, wed like to get more explosive runs, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. (But) youre getting yourself in good down-and-distances.

Id love to have 30-plus run calls every game. (But) its got to be worth your (effort). Youre making an investment every time you snap the ball. Youve got to get some kind of return on it. Theres been games where the return, flat out, wasnt worth it. This game, it seemed like we were moving the chains, getting first downs and putting ourselves in pretty good situations. We knew we didnt want to get in a whole lot of third-and-longs against these guys.

The emergence of John Kuhn, who scored three touchdowns Sunday, in short-yardage situations has been a bonus. And all of those manageable down-and-distances forces safeties and linebackers to respect the run and open up the play-action game for quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Philosophically Ive always felt that you have two types, two categories in the way you throw the football, and 50 percent of it is action passing game and the other 50 percent is dropback, McCarthy said. When you install an offense, you have to have the ability to drop back and throw the football, but you also have to have the ability to have action that fits to your running game. So its very important.

These defenses in todays game are not as standard as they were 10, 15 years ago. Defenses today will overload you, whether its based on if youre running the ball, theyll overload your formation, theyll overload you based on your protection. Play-action is very important. But running the football is important. The attempts in the running game in my opinion is the most important, and you need to tie in another statistic of third down. Third-down conversions, which a lot of time leads to more running attempts. I think all those things are tied together.

Injury update
Fullback Korey Hall (knee) and safety Atari Bigby (groin) are both out this week after being injured against the Giants.

Defensive end Cullen Jenkins (calf) has missed the last two games and his availability wont be known until later in the week.

Linebacker Frank Zombo (knee) will work with the rehab group throughout the week and then test the injury Friday after a medical examination in the morning.

Inactive
Rookie running back James Starks was inactive for the second consecutive week after being active for the first two weeks since coming off the physically unable to perform list. Many thought Starks was poised to have a significant role in the run game after rushing for 73 yards on 18 carries in his debut against San Francisco.

He needs to compete to get on the (45-man active roster), McCarthy said. His situation has been exactly the same the last two weeks. James Starks and Dimitri Nance compete for that fifth spot as a running back and as a special-teams player, and Dimitri is just ahead of him right now.

He needs to do a better job throughout the week in preparation and in practice. Until he gets that done, he wont be on the 45.

Starks admitted last week that he needs to improve his practice habits to get back on the active roster.

When you are not a starter, if you dont play all three downs as a starter on offense or defense, you have special-teams responsibilities, McCarthy said. You cant give lip service to special teams. We have had so much change on special teams. We are trying to have some sense of continuity and consistency on our special teams, and we need for the younger players to play better and be more accountable and detailed when they get an opportunity.

He needs to do a better job in that area.

Prime time
The Packers-Bears game this week was moved to 3:15 p.m. from noon by the NFL. There was speculation that the game could be flexed into the Sunday night slot on NBC, but McCarthy was happy it wasnt.

Night games, I understand what they are for, McCarthy said. Frankly I didnt want to play in the night game for our fans. A night game here, I think its a little different than a night game down in New Orleans or Tampa Bay. I think 3:15 is fine.

Im more concerned about our fans, so Im glad we didnt get moved into the night game.

Game balls
Rodgers and Kuhn received the offensive game balls of the week.

Nose tackle B.J. Raji and linebacker A.J. Hawk were the defensive honorees.

Kuhn and cornerback Brandon Underwood earned the special teams recognition, and Jarrett Bush had the big hit of the game.

Kuhn is the first player to earn an offensive and special teams game ball in the same week under McCarthy.

UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago
I had seen that, and a companion article from GBPGazette. I didn't want to restart the debate (when it appears Zombie and I differ by only 1 run out of 10 plays), but here's the second article. Part I liked best was at the bottom where they had switched over to talking playmakers, and they talked about Raji.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101227/PKR07/312270172/Baranczyk-Christl-column-Commitment-to-run-yields-more-than-yards 

Green Bay Packers' commitment to run yields more than yards

The Green Bay Packers have not had the kind of quality running back it takes to have a dominant ground game since Ahman Green was at his peak. And that was seven years ago. But a mere commitment to run the ball can sometimes camouflage pedestrian talent.

The Packers, just as they had done the previous week against New England, kept pounding away at the New York Giants Sunday, and, as a result, kept the Giants formidable defense on its heels. The rushing stats werent impressive 93 yards on 33 carries, a 2.8 average, by Brandon Jackson, Dimitri Nance and John Kuhn but those tough yards played a big part in the Packers passing for 404 yards in a 45-17 romp.

The running game
What tipped off the Packers commitment to the run was the number of times they lined up in some form of an I-formation. That has been uncharacteristic of them. In the first quarter alone, they were in some semblance of an I on 13 of 18 plays.

They were in a straight I, with the fullback directly in front of the tailback, six times; and in an offset I, with the fullback in front of the tailback but a step to the right, once. On three other plays, they lined up in what was basically an offset I with a tight end alongside the fullback. And on three of their eight shotgun plays, they were actually in their pistol look, or short shotgun, where a tight end lined up in the backfield. That took pressure off the offensive line. And thats what opened up the play-action passes.

On Jordy Nelsons 80-yard touchdown, the Packers were in the pistol and Aaron Rodgers faked a handoff to Jackson. That froze the defensive linemen, and also had Antrel Rolle, the Giants safety, peeking in the backfield. Thats why Rolle looked as though he was stuck in wet cement as Nelson ran past him down the middle.

By running the ball that much, the Packers kept the Giants linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage, and that opened the gap between the backers and the safeties and made it easier for the receivers to get open.

The Giants have a swarming defense. Their players are athletic and they run to the ball. And what the Packers essentially did was use their strength against them. They got the Giants defenders running to the ball and then threw over the top of them. It also slowed down the Giants defensive ends on the pass rush. And the Packers accomplished that not with big runs the longest run by a running back was 8 yards but by the number of times they ran.

A team doesnt have to run for 200 yards, or even 150, to have a successful running game.

All of that raises the question: Why didnt they do that earlier in the year? Why didnt they adjust as soon as they lost Jermichael Finley?

Theres no easy answer. Theyve got that shiny toy back there in Rodgers, and its understandable why they want to throw the ball. Maybe part of it was that they have so many weapons, they were subconsciously trying to keep people happy. And, then, the one thing they miss without Ryan Grant is that he could run out of a one-back set. The guys they have now cant do that.

Kuhn
There again, the Packers seem to have found what works best for him. Theyre not asking him to run stretch plays on first or second down anymore. Most of what he did against the Giants was out of the fullback position. Theyre doing a better job of putting him in spots where he can be successful.

A team couldnt line him up at the 20-yard line and expect him to carry it down the field. But he runs so low to the ground. His feet never stop. One guy doesnt bring him down. Thats what makes him effective.

The Playmakers
This is the time of year where a teams key playmakers have to make plays, and thats what happened Sunday. It was Rodgers and Greg Jennings on offense. On defense, it was Clay Matthews and also Charles Woodson. One of the biggest plays of the game was on the Giants sixth play after they had picked up two first downs and run five successful plays. Matthews chased running back Ahmad Bradshaw down from the backside for a gain of 2, and it led to a punt.

And B.J. Raji is joining that company. Maybe he did it quietly, but he had an awesome game. For example, the Giants ran a counter play on second-and-10 with 1:39 left in the first quarter. The Packers were in nickel and outside linebacker Robert Francois did a good job of setting the edge, but Desmond Bishop could have been walled off inside and Bradshaw might have busted it for a big run. But Raji split a double-team and made the tackle.

Raji was so quick off the ball that sometimes the other defensive linemen werent even out of their stance. He basically took away the inside running game by himself. Despite all their losses, the Packers might have a better defensive line than they had last year just because Raji has taken his game to another level. It just goes to show what a dominant nose tackle can do for a defense.

Everybody thinks of Dom Capers as being a blitz-happy coordinator, but the Packers are rushing three and putting eight in coverage a lot more lately. And part of thats due to Raji applying pressure up the gut.

GBPGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

I had seen that, and a companion article from JSOnline.com. I didn't want to restart the debate (when it appears Zombie and I differ by only 1 run out of 10 plays), but here's the second article. Part I liked best was at the bottom where they had switched over to talking playmakers, and they talked about Raji.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101227/PKR07/312270172/Baranczyk-Christl-column-Commitment-to-run-yields-more-than-yards 

"macbob" wrote:

JSOnline.com wrote:

Isn't your link to Eric Baranczyk and Cliff Christl of the Press-Gazette? Not the Milwaukee Journal??
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

I had seen that, and a companion article from JSOnline.com. I didn't want to restart the debate (when it appears Zombie and I differ by only 1 run out of 10 plays), but here's the second article. Part I liked best was at the bottom where they had switched over to talking playmakers, and they talked about Raji.

"wpr" wrote:

"macbob" wrote:

Isn't your link to Eric Baranczyk and Cliff Christl of the Press-Gazette? Not the Milwaukee Journal??

JSOnline.com wrote:

Yes, thanks. Corrected it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"macbob" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

"macbob" wrote:

Yes, thanks. Corrected it.

JSOnline.com wrote:

Wasn't trying to be a smart @ss. I am too dumb for that. I was just a little confused at first and wanted to clearify.
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago
Raji has been fantastic, hopefully we can go into next year with Jenkins, Raji, Pickett, and Neal all healthy and under contract. That'd be awesome.
blank
yooperfan
13 years ago
Just KEEP running the damn ball!
macbob
13 years ago

Raji has been fantastic, hopefully we can go into next year with Jenkins, Raji, Pickett, and Neal all healthy and under contract. That'd be awesome.

"tonyagnese" wrote:

And Jolly--if he can keep out of trouble--and Green--step away from the buffet...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Lets see.. run more and have even a more explosive offense.

What a novel concept, the run game helps set the table for the passing game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Lets see.. run more and have even a more explosive offense.

What a novel concept, the run game helps set the table for the passing game.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I wonder what two doofus' have been trying to pound this through to some of the people of this board who think you should pass pass and pass a little more.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (18h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (19h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (22h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (22h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.