MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

I have a bridge-building idea for the Aaron Rodgers dilemma. The more I think about it, the more I think, Why not?

The idea: The Packers commit to trade Rodgers, pacifying the angry quarterback—but the deal would not happen till next spring. Rodgers, in turn, agrees to give the Packers one more season in exchange for being allowed to transition to a new team before the 2022 draft.

Packers president Mark Murphy, who’s got to be Henry Kissinger here (look it up, kids), must be searching for an exit strategy. If I were in Murphy’s chair, I’d undertake another secret mission to meet with Rodgers and agent David Dunn, just the three of them, and propose one more year of Green Bay employment with the knowledge that Rodgers and Dunn could give the Pack a list of teams the QB would be willing to play for in 2022.

I think Rodgers and Dunn would want the quarterback’s freedom if he’d give the Pack one more season. And maybe that’s not entirely out of the question. But there is an historical omen that I think would make Murphy draw the line at 2022 freedom for Rodgers. Unlikely though it is, imagine Rodgers being a free agent next March, and Minnesota GM Rick Spielman swooping in to sign a player who’d love to stick it to the Green Bay front office by playing for the arch-rival—a haunting memory-relic from 13 years ago with Brett Favre. My bet is that would make Murphy say, “No chance we’re releasing him.”

When Favre was demanding his freedom from Green Bay after coming out of retirement in July 2008, then-GM Ted Thompson insisted he wouldn’t cut Favre loose. He knew Favre would likely sign with Minnesota or Chicago, and Thompson didn’t want to be hung in effigy in Wisconsin. He held firm, and Favre got traded to the Jets before eventually ending his career as a Viking. So wouldn’t it make sense for Rodgers, after this season, to give the Packers four destinations in the AFC, and let Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst make the best deal for the franchise?

If all sides agreed, the deal could be announced in mid-June. The Pack could enter training camp with the MVP in place, in his prime.

The Lead: Rodgers-GB

I would bet Rodgers, today, is solid on never playing for the Packers again, so maybe this is useless. But Rodgers might view this as the best way to get through an unfortunate situation.

Why I think it makes sense for Rodgers
His words. He told Kenny Mayne two weeks ago he loves his coaches, his teammates and the fans, and he has spoken with reverence about the history of the Packers. This compromise allows him to prove it. Lots of fans would find his words to Mayne hollow if Rodgers is home in California in September and Jordan Love gets blown out on opening day at New Orleans. I doubt Rodgers wants a bridge-burning exit from Green Bay.

His best championship chance. The Packers are 28-8 in Rodgers’ last two seasons in Green Bay, and there’s little doubt Green Bay is the place he’d have the best chance to win a Super Bowl this year. With Rodgers, I’d say it’s a Tampa Bay-Green Bay tossup for home field in the NFC playoffs. Is there any place in the AFC where Rodgers would have as good a chance to win his second ring in 2021? No, and it’s not close.

His personal fortune. Rodgers won’t subject himself to massive fines and money losses if he reports and placidly goes on with a final year in Green Bay. This isn’t the biggest thing with him, but imagine his boycotting the Packers and the team coming after his $6.8-million roster bonus from the spring. It’s one thing to not earn money in the future. It’s another to pay back millions.

His management of a bad situation. If he shows up, there’d be a relatively peaceful season. Rodgers could talk about the situation once, then no-comment everything else the rest of the season. The story would be wallpaper. Loud wallpaper, but wallpaper.

His last big contract. Rodgers gets one more payday, a big one, with his new team in 2022. (More in a minute on that.)

Why it makes sense for the Packers
Murphy’s a pragmatist, and he has to be that above all as the caretaker of this franchise. No matter how many times he thinks, Aaron would never hold out and hold us hostage, does he know that? No. Rodgers is willful. Back him against a wall, and Murphy doesn’t know how he’d react. But it would not be good for the team.

Beyond that, the prospect of quarterback certainty in 2022 would motivate Green Bay to do what every team should be doing in the first 17-game season anyway. Whenever the Pack is up by 20 or down 20 in the last 10 minutes, give Jordan Love the last two or three series of the game. Give Love the Week 18 game if the Packers’ playoff spot in secure. That prevents overuse of a 37-year-old quarterback and could give Love 100 or so important snaps entering 2022.

The Packers need to extend an olive branch for a situation—whether they acknowledge the reality of it—that could turn into a football and fan disaster in 2021. This is that olive branch. It’s a face-saving thing for both sides.

Contractually, too, it makes sense. Rodgers was paid that $6.8-million roster bonus in March, and he’s due a base salary of $14.7 million this season. He has two years after this season left on his contract. If he’s traded next spring, the dead cap hit for Rodgers on Green Bay’s cap in 2022 would $17.2 million. Rodgers would have two seasons left at $25.5 million per. But it’s probable, in the event of a trade, a team would sign Rodgers to a big deal putting him somewhere north of $40-million a year, and I’d guess the term would be three or four years, perhaps with some cap-easing phony years on the end of the contract.

If the offer is made and Rodgers says yes, it’s a win-win for everyone. If the answer’s no, well, Murphy tried. And then we’d know exactly how much Rodgers dreads putting on the green and gold ever again.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/07/aaron-rodgers-packers-compromise-nfl-fmia-peter-king 

Peter King wrote:

What do you think about that?
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

What do you think about that?

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel 

Absolutely not. I've seen this idea floated a few weeks ago.
I think they come to an agreement. I can't see the Packers going for this. The front office has been adamant about not trading 12. In the business world the best practice is to not let an terminated employee linger. If you are going to can someone tell them on Friday as they head out the door. Give them 2 weeks severance (or more) and take the keys or whatever. It's clean. It's efficient. It keeps them from poisoning other employees.
This whole idea is wishy washy. Either Aaron is a part of the team or he sits at home. The third option is management gets some kind of an offer that is insane and they grab it. (4 1sts and 4 2nds) but I don't see it happening.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
This could be amicable for many reasons. Rodgers knows (if not he's not as smart as I believe) his best shot at a Super Bowl is with the Packers. It gives him control over where he finishes his career, which is something he's alluded to as important. It provides him a chance to help some of his close friends on the team to win a ring. It'd be the perfect swan song, or 'last dance', so to speak. Speaking "The Last Dance". Rodgers had some interesting comments regarding that series. I wish I remembered them word for word.

The issue with this is if it's public. When the public knows, then Packers get no leverage and won't get more than a 3rd.

If I'm the Packers I tie the trade clause to performance, mainly team performance. I don't think Rodgers would tank, but reach playoffs your list can be X amount of teams, and Super Bowl is Y of teams. Keep his ass motivated, lol.

What if Rodgers hits that wall though? What he sucks balls or breaks his collarbone again?

The whole situation just sucks.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago
It's like Cowherd said. If you ttade him, you can't maximize his ability to prepare and be successful. Trade him in October if you do at all, right before the trade deadline.

Aaron has no leverage whatsoever. And he DOES want another ring. His best chance for that is to play here.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Actually, I must amend my post in a new post. The list of teams should be list of teams Rodgers does not want. Otherwise he could list teams like Broncos, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers, 49ers or something like that where it the Packers would obviously only go for Broncos.

So, the list has to be teams he refuses and NFC North teams are omitted.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
The problem is this assumes Rodgers wants out as his #1 goal, when based on Kuhn's words, which sounded like he directly spoke with Rodgers.

Seems like Rodgers #1 goal was to lock up his time with the Packers past Love's time with the Packers. The backup plan was to get traded...

Also, why would the Packers limit their options? As it seems like the Packers want Rodgers at least two more years!

I believe reports said the Packers were willing to give Rodgers an extension and give him the highest paid contract in the NFL... but don't seem to be willing to give him a no trade contract (which an extension and a no trade clause would solve Rodgers #1 goal).

So this plan doesn't give either side their #1 goal... and while it does give Rodgers his possible #2 goal... why would the Packers limit themselves like that?

Makes no sense for the Packers unless they're ready to move on, and based on their comments, they're not... they want Rodgers for "2021 and beyond"... (so at least 2022).

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

The problem is this assumes Rodgers wants out as his #1 goal, when based on Kuhn's words, which sounded like he directly spoke with Rodgers.

Seems like Rodgers #1 goal was to lock up his time with the Packers past Love's time with the Packers. The backup plan was to get traded...

Also, why would the Packers limit their options? As it seems like the Packers want Rodgers at least two more years!

I believe reports said the Packers were willing to give Rodgers an extension and give him the highest paid contract in the NFL... but don't seem to be willing to give him a no trade contract (which an extension and a no trade clause would solve Rodgers #1 goal).

So this plan doesn't give either side their #1 goal... and while it does give Rodgers his possible #2 goal... why would the Packers limit themselves like that?

Makes no sense for the Packers unless they're ready to move on, and based on their comments, they're not... they want Rodgers for "2021 and beyond"... (so at least 2022).

Originally Posted by: beast 

Very good points. I just don't know what Aaron Rodgers number one goal is. The reports fly in the face of everything he's said publicly himself over the last year and change. I also do not know what the Packers number one goal is. I would assume it would be for Jordan Love to be taking snaps no later than year 3 so they can figure out whether to exercise the 5th year option.

Something that Peter King doesn't mention is that Aaron Rodgers isn't getting younger. He's on the wrong side of 35 and giving the Packers another year might not be worth it to him. If his primary objective is not to play for the Packers, I wouldn't be shocked if he sits out or retires.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I think the damage is already done.
If Rodgers does play here this year, and the Packers don’t win a Super Bowl, then a lot of people will say he tanked the season.
Plus, how will all this crap effect his teammates? How do you give your best, with your on the field leader “crying” about how bad he has it? How HORRIBLE the Packer leadership is? Especially when they make a whole lot less money then he does?
True, Rodgers hasn’t actually said a whole lot, but then again he hasn’t said anything to say that all that has been written is way off. He could have stopped it at any point, and has chosen to not stop all the comments.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
He can play per the contract he signed. All the rest of it is you collective pussy society caving yet again. In short, I'm against it.
Cheesey
2 years ago
In any other job, if you refuse to do your job and blast your bosses in public, you end up on the unemployment line.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (16h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (17h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (20h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (20h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.