Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

For where Harrell was drafted, he is a bust; but he same can be said for Hawk.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I'm not clear what you mean here. Harrell has played 13 games in 3 seasons and there's genuine concern that he'll be paid a fat amount of money to sit on the bench this year as well.

AJ Hawk on the other hand has played every single game since '06. He has amasssed 401 total tackles in 4 seasons, 8.5 sacks, forced 2 fumbles, and picked off 5 passes.

If we're talking busts here, AJ Hawk would be an A-cup whereas Harrell would be double D's.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Well, based on their postings on another PH forum, most people here would prefer double D's.

As for Hawk...well, to me the other rating should be reserved to people like A-cup Rodgers, Greg A-cup Jennings, Donald A-cup Driver and the like. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

In case I failed to make myself clear, I did not bring up the money as an aspect that should factor into whether he stays on the roster or not. I brought it up purely to point out that he has been amply remunerated for his troubles. There is no reason to feel sorry for a man who has made so much money for so little production.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Has anyone here said they feel sorry for Harrell?

As I and others have pointed out several times already, it would actually cost more to cut Harrell than to keep him. But that is irrelevant to me. I don't want the most talented team. I want the most consistent team. The Patriots have rarely had the flashiest team in the NFL. They've won championships not through flash but through grinding it out game after game after game. Their roster is a revolving door of guys who perform workmanlike jobs for a couple of years and then are cut. It's quite rare that the Patriots bring back a player with a big contract.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree here. Though lately all they've been is flash with Brady and Moss posting huge numbers. But in their championship years they were the epitomy of consitency. Even though he's a huge douche, Belichick is a great coach.

But I don't see how Harrell would break any consitency we have. He's most likely going to be a rotational guy, and anyone who we keep instead of him will also be a rotational guy. The level of talent we have behind Harrell (Wynn, Wilson, Talley) is the kind we could easily pick up after the final cuts so if Harrell gets injured, we'll just pick up one of them.

If Harrell stays healthy, plays 5-10 snaps per game, I think we're better off than if we cut him. So why not try at least?
This is a placeholder
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Like it or not, salary matters. I don't have the stats for our DL players, but we may have a situation where Harrell is on the DL, gets injured after 3 games, and makes a huge wad of money. Then a DL player who plays in all 19 games who is making less money has a cow. Then we have a problem.

Not saying it will happen but it might.

I mean, how many times in the NFL have you heard a player who complains that Player X (same position) is making more money than he is and he has a good case that that shouldn't be so?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
beast
13 years ago

If someone has any kind of evidence that suggest Harrell isn't the 5th best DL on the roster, then we have something to talk about..

"DakotaT" wrote:

Last time I've heard when Pickett or Jenkins comes out then Harrell goes in, so Harrell might be the 4th best?
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

Do I feel sorry for Harrell? No not really for reasons already stated.

However, there is a difference between Tony Mandarich and Justin Harrell. Harrell has been hurt. He hasn't seen the field, but when he's on the field, I've seen more out of him than C.J. Wilson or Jarius Wynn.

Mandarich was a complete bust. He couldn't cut it as a LT. He ended up in Indy as a guard and was alright for awhile, but there is a difference between the two players. One is a bust because of skill and the other is a bust because of injury.

I pretty much agree with what CaliforniaCheez said.

I think they'll keep six or seven DL. Seven with Toribio, who I've been impressed enough with to keep on the team. Right now, you can only justify Wilson or Wynn above Harrell because of injuries/confidence.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

Also, Mandarich was a bust because he couldn't sneak the steroids past the NFL like college. It was well documented and he admitted to such. That also makes a huge difference between him and Harrell.

"porky88" wrote:

Good point. Perhaps a better comparison for Harrell would be Ahmad Carroll, but even then, I wouldn't label them for reasons stated in my other post.
Greg C.
13 years ago

Like it or not, salary matters. I don't have the stats for our DL players, but we may have a situation where Harrell is on the DL, gets injured after 3 games, and makes a huge wad of money. Then a DL player who plays in all 19 games who is making less money has a cow. Then we have a problem.

I mean, how many times in the NFL have you heard a player who complains that Player X (same position) is making more money than he is and he has a good case that that shouldn't be so?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

That's a good point. I think there is a risk of that happening. But here's another way of looking at it, which hasn't been mentioned yet: If Harrell continues to perform at the level of our #4 or #5 defensive lineman, and then he gets cut, what kind of message does THAT send to the rest of the team? I would think the other players would want the best guy on the field at each position, period.

Before training camp, I thought Harrell was pretty much finished, and I said so in this forum. He is on the verge of proving me wrong, and good for him.
blank
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Before training camp I said it make no sense to cut Harrell because a settlement would equal his pay. Cutting him you eliminate the small chance that he pays off. No matter how small that chance is, it's more than Zero. Since it costs us nothing extra to give him a chance to pay the team back, (he said he feels like he owes the Pack) let him play until he gets hurt and then cut him. If by some chance he doesn't get hurt and is better than the next guy on the roster, let him play.

It doesn't matter at this point how much he makes or what round he was picked in. If we have to replace him it would cost the team that much more. We would pay to get rid of him and pay his replacement. It is cheaper to keep him.

If he is healthy and good enough to make the roster, it would be the wrong thing to do to cut him. For financial or talent reasons.

You never know, he could be the next Flannigan.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
djcubez
13 years ago
I've only read the first page of this thread so what I say might be covered already.

Firstly this article sucks. There is not one shred of new information present about Harrell. Vandermause could have just wrote "I think Harrell sucks and gets injured too much so cut him" and that would have saved me a good minute of my life.

A lot of Packers players have been injured and given a chance to redeem themselves. Pat Lee has been injured the last two seasons. Blackmon as well. Giacomoni. They're still on the roster.

I think the big problem is people's expectations. Harrell is a bust, plain and simple. Looking at where he was drafted--he's never going to live up to that. However, if he can still contribute as a backup or rotation line player why should we cut him? Are there really better players out there than Harrell? Are there even better players on our roster? I doubt it. When Harrell has played, he's played well and done his job--he just needs to see the field more.

I also don't understand the whole "maybe Harrell is a pussy and can't stand pain" argument either. If a guy complains and then his complaint is backed up medically it's valid--the guy is in real fucking pain. Don't call him a pussy just because you think he's crying. In fact most of the coaches say he plays hard when he is in there.

Also the whole financial argument; we're in a year before a potential lockout, if there was ever a year to overpay for players it's this year.

Either way, I don't really feel bad for the guy but I don't blame him either.
djcubez
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

That's a good point. I think there is a risk of that happening. But here's another way of looking at it, which hasn't been mentioned yet: If Harrell continues to perform at the level of our #4 or #5 defensive lineman, and then he gets cut, what kind of message does THAT send to the rest of the team? I would think the other players would want the best guy on the field at each position, period.

Before training camp, I thought Harrell was pretty much finished, and I said so in this forum. He is on the verge of proving me wrong, and good for him.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Is Harrell even making that much money? His contract is six-years, $14.507 million. No way he's making over 4 million this year, which, in the case of a fourth year first round draft pick, isn't that bad.
13 years ago

If someone has any kind of evidence that suggest Harrell isn't the 5th best DL on the roster, then we have something to talk about..

"beast" wrote:

Last time I've heard when Pickett or Jenkins comes out then Harrell goes in, so Harrell might be the 4th best?

"DakotaT" wrote:

Yep, it's him or Neal neck and neck for #4 right now I think.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.