all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
I'm not sure where all the Quinn Johnson love is coming from. McCarthy basically admitted that he hasn't stood out in practice; in the last interviews during the OTAs, Mike McCarthy stated that Quinn Johnson needed to step up. When a coach states that he hopes a player shows up more after they put the pads on.... well let's just say that said player has not had the most impressive of off-seasons.

I think Special-Teams will be much more of an emphasis this time of the year during cut-downs. That's why Poppinga and Donald Lee should be back - they are some of our better ST players.

Given that emphasis on Special Teams, I personally think Khun and Hall have a leg up on Johnson. Mike McCarthy even admitted Johnson needs to step up his game on Special Teams. And actually, Hall and Khun compliment each other, as well as our offensive system. They won't be making pro-bowls any time soon, but they offer more in the skills department (outside of sheer strength) than Quinn does.

Bush.... hard to see him getting cut. I don't think he is that bad, given his overall ranking on the TEAM depth chart (about mid 40s). You could do a lot, lot worse.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The "love" for Quinn is from the little action we seen of him playing.

What comments has Mike McCarthy said about Quinn?

Edit, o_O found some!!

(Are you looking for Quinn Johnson to make a big jump?)
Quinn needs to. I can say that for any first-year player going into his second year. That's really part of the offseason program. It lines up for younger players particularly to make that jump from their first to second year. That's something I've always looked for. I think it's very important when you follow an NFL player's career, that there has to be a point in his career, particularly early, where he does make that jump. Because they all come in on different levels coming out of college. I think we're all in tune with that. I think it's very important for Quinn to make a big jump this year.

(How's he looking so far?)
He looks good. Quinn is the type of player I think will show up more when the pads are on. It's definitely his strength. He's a thumper, as far as his style of playing the fullback position. He needs to progress in some of the other areas, particularly on special teams. So I'm looking for him to improve in that area.

Those were from June 21st or some day around there.
Mike McCarthy says Quinn is like any first year playing needs to make the big jump going into their second year. Then singles him out saying its very important for Quinn to make a big jump this year.

Not exactly a slam on the kid, but not a ringing endorsement either. We knew out of the draft the kid was a punishing blocker who needs to brush up on his all around FB skills.
Mike McCarthy then says Quinn looks good. Good, not bad. Good. Mike McCarthy also makes an excellent point, Quinn is a thumper --- which is hard to evaluate without pads on. Hardly a slight on Quinn there.

As AADP said, Quinn will have to show an impact on Special Teams to stay on the roster. All in all, I don't see those comments as something out of the ordinary for a 1st year guy entering his 2nd year.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Pop on the game against San Francisco. Quinn Johnson made some outstanding lead blocks for Ryan Grant. During that game, I saw some of the best blocking by a Green Bay FB since William Henderson IMO.

Also, he really is just a one dimensional player. He's a lead blocker. That's kind of it. He's not going to stand out unless the pads are on and there is hitting.
TheEngineer
13 years ago
It's a bit surprising to me how much our coaches value special teams players. I would keep Johnson as a FB rather than to cut him due to poor ST play. Hell, it's not like our ST is any good, anyway. It just surprises me the emphasis they place on it despite sucking a big fat one in the special teams department.
blank
IronMan
13 years ago
I've said this before, but just because everyone says Jarrett Bush is a good special teams player, doesn't mean he actually is. When is the last time you can remember Jarrett Bush making a good play on special teams? Exactly.

Similar to how everyone says Brett Favre is a clutch qb. Actually , he sucks when the game is on the line. Great regular season qb. Playoffs/when the game is on the line, not so much. As much as he's choked in these situations, it doesn't stop people from saying, "Brett Favre is the guy I want on my team when its clutch time."

And with Bush, it doesn't matter how many bone headed plays/penalties he makes on ST, people will still say that he is a ST ace. I don't get it.

That said, I don't think Jarrett Bush gets cut. He has an unofficial lifetime contract with the Packers it seems.
dfosterf
13 years ago
I hope Bush never sees the field again.

I don't like him out there, never have, never will.

I hope Kuhn stays.

He gave me the game glove and autograph.

:)
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Would like to see all those players beat out solidly, not because I dislike any of them, on the contrary, but because it means we've upgraded the positon. Team first.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
IronMan
13 years ago

Would like to see all those players beat out solidly, not because I dislike any of them, on the contrary, but because it means we've upgraded the positon. Team first.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

Bingo. Unless you're Mason Crosby. I don't want him to be required to compete for his job, as it may rattle his confidence/hurt his feelings. #sarcasm
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I got a little worried when I saw the title of this thread, then I started to calm down after I saw the names.

The one I didn't understand was Brady Poppinga. He is basically our only solid backup at OLB. AND, he is a pretty good special teams player.

The one player on that list that I don't want to see gone is Quinn Johnson. He is my favorite FB, mainly because of how dominant / physical he is. Also, if we were to cut Donald Lee, all we would have is Jermichael and Quarless. I say keep Finley, Quarless, and Lee (maybe just for one more year - to get Quarless off an going). I don't really have any faith in Havner. I don't see him being a threat to opposing defenses (they can just throw a LB on him).

But I do think we are going to get rid of a FB. I just hope it's not Quinn.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Pop on the game against San Francisco. Quinn Johnson made some outstanding lead blocks for Ryan Grant. During that game, I saw some of the best blocking by a Green Bay FB since William Henderson IMO.

Also, he really is just a one dimensional player. He's a lead blocker. That's kind of it. He's not going to stand out unless the pads are on and there is hitting.

"porky88" wrote:

That's the thing though, you see some good stuff but when you watch game film you see Quinn Johnson is pretty damn slow. Outside of thumping people, he doesn't do much.

He's not offering you much in the passing game as a FB-receiver option or much in the run game as a short yardage back option. With our offensive system, you'd like some agile and versatile players. Johnson, simply put, isn't that versatile. Khun and Hall, on the other hand, actually are more-so than him.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.