Rockmolder
14 years ago
LeRoy Butler on Browns game, Favre's return to Lambeau 

'If youre going to stand up wearing Packer clothing or a Packer uniform and cheer when Brett Favre comes out, you should bring a bag and put it over your head.'

Posted: Oct. 26, 2009 5:04 p.m.

After each game, former Green Bay Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "5 Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. Butler appears on behalf of his charity, "The LeRoy Butler Foundation" (leroybutlerfoundation.org).

Q. What do you make of the Packers consecutive victories over Cleveland and Detroit, a couple of really bad teams? Its impressive to give up three points in two games, but how much of an accomplishment is it really? Is there something to be gained from it?

A. Absolutely. If I were talking to them Id tell them that nobody expected Oakland to beat Philadelphia and look what happened. Nobody thought Cleveland was going to beat Buffalo. So you have to win the games youre supposed to win. You took care of business. Im proud of the fact that they didnt let two trap games beat them. They went out and dominated. I wanted to see a dominating defense and offense and they did that. They gave up three points in two games. They did what they had to and Im happy with it. Knowing you played with a rookie left tackle and gave up no sacks, all that is encouraging. This is the NFL and you have to win the games youre supposed to win. I dont ever want to discount not beating or beating someone because thats why theres that word upset. It comes up when youre not prepared to play and the Packers were prepared to play both times.

Q. What do you think the fan reaction to Brett Favre should be at Lambeau Field this Sunday and what do you think it actually will be?

A. The reaction should be 100% about Aaron Rodgers. When Aaron Rodgers comes out there you should give Aaron Rodgers a standing ovation because hes our guy for the next 10 years. When Brett comes out you do like any other opposing quarterback, you boo him. If you dont want to boo him, dont say anything. But if youre going to stand up wearing Packer clothing or a Packer uniform and cheer when Brett Favre comes out, you should bring a bag and put it over your head. You dont cheer for somebody to beat your team, I dont care who it is. You dont cheer for another quarterback. If you want to cheer Brett, just bring a bag, put it over your head and you can cheer, and no one will hear you and thats fine. This is Aaron Rodgers show. Dont let somebody come into your back yard and cheer against you. You dont cheer for another guy to beat your team. I hope Im crystal clear with these fans who say they love to see Brett Favre. Well, Brett Favre is gone. Its Aaron Rodgers show. Hes the No. 1-rated quarterback in the NFC, including Brett Favre. Im happy well be good for the next 10 years. I hope theyll cheer Aaron and boo Brett. If they dont want to boo him, thats their right. But any other quarterback theyd boo, what makes him so special? I mean, wait until he has his number retired, you can cheer him then. You can applaud him all you want. You cant do that the day of the game, and want your team to win. Thats standing on the fence. Youre either a Packer fan or a Brett fan. If youre a Brett fan, go buy some purple and wear purple. I have a strong feeling on this, this is my team. I played 12 years for this team. Anybody who comes into that stadium, I want them to lose. If it were me coming back, I wouldnt expect anyone to cheer for me when Im going to destroy your team. Of course not.

Q. Vikings coach Brad Childress and Favre have to be thinking that defensive coordinator Dom Capers will come after them with the blitz after sitting back in the first game. Does that make it harder to come up with a plan to be successful blitzing?

A. Dom Capers is a smart guy. He understands hes 0-7 against Brett. He understands for two weeks he has to sit there and hear about all he should have and could have done. They understand what they have to do. They have to get to the next level. The next level is putting away a future Hall of Famer like Brett Favre. Heres the formula - theyve had enough time to look at their film, Pittsburgh film, theyve had time to dissect what they need to do - its not so much be aggressive to where you just blitz all the time. You have to be smart. You have to look for match-ups. Sydney Rice is playing better than any receiver in the NFC right now, so there are guys youre going to have to stop, not just Brett. And you cant forget about Adrian Peterson. Im hoping at certain times they can blitz him and at certain times give him that Cover 2 look. That gives every quarterback a lot of problems, especially with a pass rush. I think they understand what they have to do. I dont think you need to overreact. With that offensive line they can protect long enough for him to get the ball off. The Packers have a couple of fronts that Minnesota has not seen and theyll get a dose of Clay Matthews all the time and theyll see Aaron Kampman not dropping so much but coming after the quarterback. It will be different than the first game.

Q. If it comes down to Chad Clifton practicing one day and starting at left tackle or rookie T.J. Lang practicing all week and starting, which way do you go given the challenge of blocking end Jared Allen?

A. Id go with T.J. Lang practicing all week. Whenever you have a guy mentally knowing hes going to play, he knows all the checks, he knows where his help is coming from, he can be focused in, you find out whether you have a left tackle. I think thats why they let him play the Cleveland game, to find out if he can play a whole game. I know it wasnt against great competition, but it was good to get a game under his belt going into the Vikings game. Its not like these guys are unblockable. I know everybody is saying he has short arms and isnt a prototypical tackle. Well, guess what? Most of those guys who look like prototypical tackles, they give up sacks, too. If I got a young, fiery guy whos not scared and is ready to play, Id rather rally behind him and know hes 100% and then have the veteran guy active and back him up. If he has a bad game, you can always go back to the veteran. Id rather have a 100% guy than a guy who isnt 100% because that could really cost you. I think Lang is looking forward to the test and I think hell know where his help is coming from. Jared Allen, that guy beats everybody, so they just have to be aggressive on him. I dont have any problems with Lang there. He didnt give up all those sacks in the last game. Lets try something new.

Q. Given the protection problems the offense had in the last meeting, do you think the game plan has to revolve around running back Ryan Grant, who is coming off his best game of the season? Or do you continue to test their secondary, which probably will be without injured cornerback Antoine Winfield?

A. You have to go after that secondary. Quick, short passes. The game plan last time was fine. Rodgers threw for almost 400 yards and scored points. You just have to mix it up and not look for the big play all the time. Ryan Grant had a pretty good game, but they werent committed to the run like they were committed against Cleveland. Screens, draws, slants, outs, hitches, wide receiver screens, all that kind of stuff throws you off. And you should run the ball at Jared Allen. If youre just going to drop back and pass, youre playing into their hands. You have to drop back with the intention of something positive happening every time. Thats just game planning. Allens job is to rush the passer, thats why they brought him there. So lets see if he can play the run. Lets give Lang a chance to maul him a little bit on some runs. Put the tight end over there a couple times and get a double team block on him and wear him down a bit. Thats how you stop those pass rushers. These guys are better run blockers than they are pass blockers, so you have to find out what theyre going to be. But heres a chance to redeem themselves where Rodgers is comfortable dropping back to pass. Im a little leery that they wont have Jermichael Finley because tight ends have been killing their secondary. But the other kid, Spencer Havner, had a great touchdown the other day. You need someone active because tight ends are going to be open against that secondary.

Rockmolder
14 years ago
Makes some good points about our two recent wins. Winning the ones you're supposed to win is an accomplishment by itsself in the NFL. Especially if you dominate them like that.

Love his stand on Favre coming into Green Bay. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I hope that he's right on the defense next game. I'd like to see it a litte more aggressive. Not blitzing all the time, but going towards a Rex Ryan defense a little more. I'd be ok with getting pressure with 4, as well, but I don't see it happening that easily. I'm hoping to see some exotic zone blitzes this game. Something that'll confuse even Brett Favre.

He's not really outspoken on Lang. I think he'll be a good stop-gap solution at LT for this year, if Clifton doesn't get healthy, and he'll continue to play at a high level. Eventually, we're going to have to replace him, I think. A 1st rounder next year would be great. Have Lang man the RT spot and we might just be set for a while.

I'd run Grant a couple of times at Allen, but not too often. Just to keep the defense honest, but not totally relying on your run game. I'd rather see those screens that he's talking about. Their D-line is so aggressive, you just have to get your guys out there up front and let Driver make some moves. Yes, Driver. Maybe Green. We'll see how they'll handle it.

PS. I'm not trying to outsmart LeRoy Butler. I couldn't possibly. This man should get a spot somewhere on the coaching staff when he's ready for it.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I love his points about what to do about Jared Allen. I completely agree.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Here's what Kevin Seifert had to say in his blog :

And heres one question Im still asking:

Will the Packers find a way to draw attention to Favre during pregame warm-ups Sunday -- to help rev up their crowd, if nothing else? Minnesota hasnt had players individually introduced all season, either at home or on the road. So we wont have that moment to tell our grandchildren about. Typically, NFL teams dont show opposing players on the video screen. Heres my suggestion, and keep in mind the value is commensurate with the price: Ignore him all together. Carry on pregame festivities as if nothing unusual is going on, and send the message the Packers have moved on from the Favre Era.

UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Whe I read this... I took note to the fact that he stated Rodgers has the rating in the NFC.

I did not realize he is second in the NFL behind only Payton.

Interesting
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
nerdmann
14 years ago
Butler gives great analysis. He's ripped Favre in the past too. When the story came out about Favre giving the Loins inside info last year on how to beat the Pack, Butler came out and said there could be alot more, far worse stories about Favre coming out.
Seems to me Butler's got some inside scoop.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
packfan4
14 years ago
Amen Leroy Amen...the mayor of Green Bay was on ESPN's First Take this morning talking about the game this Sunday and he was harping on how much he wanted to make the game about Aaron Rodgers. He said there is a street in Green Bay named "Minnesota Ave" may be temporarily changed to "Rodgers Drive". This game is so absurdly huge for the city of Green Bay, the fans of the Packers, the entire organization from the players, to the coaches, to the front office and most importantly, my boy, A-Rod. It's time to get the monkey off your back Aaron and show why the Packers are primed for another run of greatness under your leadership.
UserPostedImage
packfan4
14 years ago

Butler gives great analysis. He's ripped Favre in the past too. When the story came out about Favre giving the Loins inside info last year on how to beat the Pack, Butler came out and said there could be alot more, far worse stories about Favre coming out.

"nerdmann" wrote:

No doubt in my mind there's a lot of skeletons in Brett's closet. Over the past 2-3 years certain stories have come to light, such as how Favre had his own seperate shower/locker room in both NY and GB, he had his own personal parking spot underneath the stadium at Lambeau(no other player did), the Packers hold a reunion dinner every year for the 96 Super Bowl team and Favre has yet to show up(trying to dig up where I read that but i'm having a hard time), didn't even contact Mark Chmura, his supposed BFFAE when he was going through his whole trial, never put in the effort in the offseason outside of a few years here and there, there's just so much more out there.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

Maybe he should write a book 😉
RaiderPride
14 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

Maybe he should write a book ;)

"nerdmann" wrote:

Perhaps he should. He could autograph it....

The man is a HIV positive prostitute when it comes to selling himself.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (18h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (19h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.