bozz_2006
15 years ago
well, we just read that the packers are committed to switching to a 3-4 scheme, so.....
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
15 years ago

Well Lombardi is now hopping on the Nolan train of a story as well...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-91/ 

I hear the Packers are committed to becoming a 3-4 defense. This must mean Mike Nolan is coming on board very soon.

"wils0646" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

I don't like this....

I don't see our personnel even fitting this scheme.

I don't like it either.
I have a feeling that this defensive quandry that the Packers are in could get ugly before it gets better.
I wouldn't want to be in McCarthys shoes having to make these decisions.
I bet he isn't getting much sleep and it ain't the baby keeping him awake at night.
I just hope this all works out.
gakko
15 years ago
There goes Jenkins and Kampman, both will be traded. AJ Hawk does not fit either and should be traded.
blank
gakko
15 years ago
if we switch to a 3-4, but I do not believe we will. I do however believe Nolan will be DC.
blank
Rios39
15 years ago

There goes Jenkins and Kampman, both will be traded. AJ Hawk does not fit either and should be traded.

"gakko" wrote:

You really seem sure that Kampman and Jenkins couldn't be impact in a 3-4.
blank
DanJustDan29
15 years ago
Desmond Bishop gets an increased role...
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
longtimefan
15 years ago
lets hope that MM, Ted and Nolan have discussed the issues of personal that is there now, and that it would be VERY hard to replace those guys right away..

Maybe Nolan is understanding of that and will be willing to adjust his scheme to suit what we have
wils0646
15 years ago

"Rios39" wrote:

You really seem sure that Kampman and Jenkins couldn't be impact in a 3-4.

"gakko" wrote:

I think Jenkins would be a perfect 3-4 DE. He is the DT-DE tweener that plays perfectly in that position. Typically 3-4 DE are around 300 lbs. Kampman would be useless as a 3-4 DE. This page explains what type of personnel your team needs to run a 3-4:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/football-101-3-4-defense.html 

What are the personnel requirements for the 3-4 defense

The front 7 players in the 3-4 D are significantly different from their counterparts in the 4-3. In a nutshell, the DL in the 3-4 are bigger than the DL in the 4-3. The 3-4 OLBs are bigger than 4-3 OLBs because they have to match up against OTs.

* 3-4 NT is the toughest position to fill. The NT is head-up on the OC and is responsible for defending both A gaps in the running game. He faces constant double-teams and takes a pounding. He must have size, mental and physical toughness, stamina, durability, lateral quickness, and good technique in terms of playing with leverage. If the NT can not hold his ground, the defense is very vulnerable to runs between the tackles. The prototypical 3-4 NT is the Raiders' Ted Washington, who is a massive 6-5 365. Washington was the key to the Patriots win over the Panthers in the 2004 Super Bowl. Stephen Davis ran for a meager 19 yards on his first 9 carries, because Washington effectively stuffed the middle of the line. Other quality NTs include the Steelers' Casey Hampton (6-1 320) and the Chargers' Jamal Williams (6-2 348)
* 3-4 OLBs are the playmakers of the D. They get the glory of picking up sacks on the QB. They must have strong pass rush skills and be able to drop into coverage. If the 3-4 OLBs are unable to consistently apply pressure on the QB, the D is very vulnerable in the passing game. They tend to weigh around 245-270, and many are former 4-3 DE/OLB "tweeners". Many 4-3 DEs are not suited to playing 3-4 OLB because they lack the ability to play in space. The more agile 4-3 RDEs, such as the Jets' John Abraham (6-4 256), are able to play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Many 4-3 OLBs are not suited to playing 3-4 OLB because they lack the pass rush skills and the ability to go toe-to-toe with an OT. Examples of solid 3-4 OLBs are the Patriots' Willie McGinest (6-5 270) and the Steelers' Joey Porter (6-2 248)
* 3-4 DEs tend to weigh around 290-310, and many are former 4-3 DT/DE "tweeners". They must be able to play the run well. The 3-4 DE is responsible for the B and C gaps in the running game and lines up in the 5-technique position, so he is head-up on the OT. It's tough for a 3-4 DE to pick up as many sacks as a 4-3 DE, because a 3-4 DE doesn't have the freedom to go willy nilly upfield. He has to protect the LBs in order for the 3-4 to work. Panthers' 4-3 DE Julius Peppers said that he didn't like playing 3-4 DE, because he felt like he was essentially a DT. Unlike Peppers (6-6 290), most 4-3 DEs are not suited to playing 3-4 DE, because they lack the size and ability to hold up against the run. Examples of solid 3-4 DEs are the Patriots' Richard Seymour (6-6 310), the Steelers' Aaron Smith (6-5 300), and the Raiders' Bobby Hamilton (6-5 285)
* 3-4 ILBs must be stout in run support. Because there are only 3 DL to match up against 5 OL, they must be able to stack and shed an unblocked offensive lineman in the running game. How hard is it to play 3-4 ILB? Check out this telling quote by All-Pro Ray Lewis, who is glad to be finished playing 3-4 ILB (the Ravens are switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and 46 for the 2005 season):

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

Examples of solid 3-4 ILBs are the former Ravens' Ed Hartwell (6-1 250) and the Raiders' Danny Clark (6-2 245)

The Pack Will Be Back.
Cheesey
15 years ago
They just announced on channel 58 out of Milwaukee that 2 sources said it's a done deal that Nolan is the guy.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Wow, Wils, in that article, it seems like every position there is an example of a Raider in every position...

Also, I don't know if Aaron Kampman can't be a 3-4 DE. He doesn't get run over in the running game...I say let him have a shot at it before we just trade him away.
UserPostedImage