nerdmann
a year ago
Not to jinx but, has anyone heard anything about these full season suspensions for gambling? 

Hope it doesn't hit out team. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago
Not to jinx but, has anyone heard anything about these full season suspensions for gambling? 

Hope it doesn't hit our team. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a year ago
Yeah, two Colts players and a lot of Lions players mainly. Mostly guys whom were probably practice squad players. But one player from each team whom clearly would of man the roster.

The Colts CB Rodgers, biggest win was $1,000 that some Colt player would get 100 yards in a game. Supposedly most of his other bets were $20 and $50, but he was betting on the NFL games.

Also there are a few others, like I believe Titans RT, but that wasn't fully year. According to the RT, he legally gambled on NON-NFL items... which would of been acceptable, had he not been on NFL/Team property when he did it. He knew gambling on NFL games were banned, but did not realize all gambling was banned while on Team Property.

Which reminds me, all Alcohol is banned from Team Property and travel too ... and yet, reports suggest most teams have some alcohol. 

​​​​​In other words, the NFL turns a blind eye to most things, except when it's caught red handed. Examples include

Andy Reid's son getting drunk on Chiefs property and then DUI crash killing people (no one has confirmed where the alcohol came from, just that he was drinking alone... but they have refused to say he was the one that brought the alcohol in, which suggest he wasn't, as they were nicely and professional throwing him under the bus (while trying to not upset head coach Andy).

QB Taylor Heinicke got caught holding an open beer on the team plane after a win, I assume a teammate, took a celebration picture and uploaded to social media. NFL was outraged as alcohol isn't allowed on team travel like planes. Heinicke (and others) suggested that alcohol is always on travel, maybe not before the game, but certainly flowing after the games, and they don't have to hide it on team travel.

Marshawn Lynch, claims he always had a couple of shots before games to knock off the nerves and always had some with him, and everyone knew.

My point being, the NFL doesn't care about the rules... they only care about being caught and bad PR. And possibly only enforcing the non-NFL betting now because it's bad PR and they got caught with some players betting on NFL games (which they probably do care about actually NFL games).

But I'm willing to bet that some of these owners and team management couldn't pass the same drug tests that players have to pass. And the some of them surely have bet on non-NFL games while on team property. Maybe even some betting on NFL games (though not electronically like the players), but more verbal bets agreements. 

​​​

UserPostedImage
a year ago

...My point being, the NFL doesn't care about the rules... they only care about being caught and bad PR. And possibly only enforcing the non-NFL betting now because it's bad PR and they got caught with some players betting on NFL games (which they probably do care about actually NFL games). 

Originally Posted by: beast 

There are rules and then there are RULES.

The "wear your socks a certain way rule" is not the same as not gambling.   Goodell got in bed with gambling and now he has "integrity of the game" issues.  They have to nipped in the bud of the gravy train collapses.  

If an NFL player want to gamble on baseball, NCAA basketball, horse-racing, et al, I really don't have an issue with it.  But gambling on NFL games is, and should be, ground for 'ex communicado'

excommunicado.gif You have insufficient rights to see the content.

I like the strong penalties.
Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
a year ago
Back in the '50s, the Commish had a private phone line, just reporting any issues of gambling. Nowadays they have official sponsors for gambling.
beast
a year ago
No National Rule that says Agents can't make bets

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-nflpa-have-no-specific-gambling-policy-for-agents 

The NFL’s gambling policy applies to a broad range of “NFL Personnel.” The policy does not apply to agents.
The NFL Players Association has the power to regulate the NFL’s contract advisors, generally known as agents. But the NFLPA says it has no direct rule against agent gambling.
Per a union spokesperson, the regulations regarding NFLPA-certified agents has no specific gambling clause, “but they are implicitly covered in language that prohibits violations of federal and state laws.”
By way of example, Michigan law prohibits an agent from gambling on football. But that’s just one state. How many others have taken the time to pass legislation aimed at specifically preventing sports agents from wagering on the sports whose players they represent?
Beyond the existence of a rule, there must be an investigation and enforcement mechanism. How would the NFLPA even know to start looking into a potential violation? Would it simply be the byproduct of a criminal prosecution that quite possibly would never happen?
Skip 
That’s the rule (or non-rule) for NFLPA-certified agents. There are other representatives of NFL figures who have no regulation at all. For example, those who represent coaches and executives have no body that regulates their behavior. Also, players who are officially representing themselves are often using a non-certified NFLPA agent, who falls beyond the reach of the union.
It’s an issue that the league and the union should devote time and effort to addressing. Agents placing bets based on their unique information is one thing. Agents trafficking in their unique information is another.
Already, plenty of agents give inside information to reporters, in exchange for favorable treatment of the agents and their clients — especially if/when their clients get in any kind of trouble . It’s a very real quid pro quo that has existed for decades. So why not adjust the quid pro quo?
If tangible value can be obtained for information by sharing it with reporters who will “take care” of the agent and/or the agent’s clients when needed, why not dangle it for something more tangible, like cash?
And agents know plenty. They know where a free agent who can move betting markets will sign before he does. The best agents know when and where players will be drafted.
Some agents surely have picked up game-plan information, whether from a player-client who is antsy because he’s due to get a lot of touches on offense or from a coach-client who wants to sound out the attack that is planned in an upcoming game.
Why are we pointing these issues out? The hope is that, by paying attention to the ways that a gambling scandal could emerge, maybe someone will plug those potential leaks before something happens that harms the game and affects the manner in which fans perceive it.

UserPostedImage
a year ago

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-nflpa-have-no-specific-gambling-policy-for-agents 

As I read the article:
  • The NFL has a no gambling policy with "NFL Personnel"
  • The  NFLPA contract with agents is not prohibit agents from gambling
  • they are implicitly covered in language that prohibits violations of federal and state laws.

So as a defense, I would say trying to defend agents from gambling restrictions and resulting penalties because their contract with the NFLPA does not specifically prohibit it is really weak.

I still maintain, to any "NFL Personnel"  involved in gambling on NFL games, they should be:
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Go Packers!!!!
beast
a year ago

[color=var(--bs-body-color)]So as a defense, I would say trying to defend agents from gambling restrictions and resulting penalties because their contract with the NFLPA does not specifically prohibit it is really weak.[/color]

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

One doesn't need a legal defense when there are no laws,  restrictions nor penalties against it.

Only in certain areas (like Michigan) is it banned. Agents currently can still legally bet in other areas to their heart content (or they run out of money, or get banned).
UserPostedImage
a year ago

One doesn't need a legal defense when there are no laws,  restrictions nor penalties against it.

There is no defense necessary because there is no criminal prosecution.   You are conflating criminal law with contract law.

We are not dealing with public laws and their potential violation, we are dealing in violating a contract/contract law.   The two have very little to do with each other.   

If you are defined in a contract or policy as "NFL Personnel" and you (or your proxies) violate the terms you pay the consequences.   

If my employment contract with you says  you can't write with  a blue pen, and you do, I can fire you.  There does not have to be a law against writing with a blue pen for me to fire you.
Go Packers!!!!
beast
a year ago

There is no defense necessary because there is no criminal prosecution.   You are conflating criminal law with contract law.

We are not dealing with public laws and their potential violation, we are dealing in violating a contract/contract law.   The two have very little to do with each other.   

If you are defined in a contract or policy as "NFL Personnel" and you (or your proxies) violate the terms you pay the consequences.   

If my employment contract with you says  you can't write with  a blue pen, and you do, I can fire you.  There does not have to be a law against writing with a blue pen for me to fire you.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

But currently there is neither...

Currently nothing is stopping the Agents from Gambling, not criminal law, nor contract law.

And Agents absolutely do have inside information on their clients, and their health and whether or not they're playing.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (16h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.