Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

My mom wanted to home school my brother. I told her it was the biggest mistake she'd make as a parent. Homeschooling your child misses out on working as part of a team. They lose out on learning how to work with people they don't like, in settings they might not like. They lose out on learning how to learn with people they DO like and learn how to focus on the project, rather than the friend/s they like.

I also had "home school" in college, via an online course. It pissed me off. Two classes specifically, one was "group team dynamics" and the other was statistics. I thought it was stupid to have a college course for working as a group outside of school and trying to learn statistics online without being able to get an instant response to a question... frustrated the shit out of me.

School is the way to go. Kids NEED those experiences, good and bad to help define who they are growing up.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Homeschooling for primary/secondary education, if done correctly, is far different than taking courses online. Really, the only real similarity between the two is that the student has more control over the pacing than in a traditional classroom setting.

And there is no reason that the homeschooled person can't work as part of a team. Indeed, that is part of what makes homeschooling so much work for the parent -- it becomes the parent's responsibility to provide different kinds of interaction with others. I've talked to any number of college students who were homeschooled, and almost without exception, each of them were farther along in their "teamwork" skills than the average 18-year-old coming out of the public schools. And, quite honestly, it isn't even close.

Are there homeschooling parents who fail to provide this kind of environment? Absolutely.

But there are a helluva lot more students who come out of the public school environment not buying into the value of teamwork at all because they haven't just had to work with people they don't like, they've pretty much had to do it all the time on projects they thought were a waste of time who no one ever justified as important. They may have learned to "conform" and "play the game", but they've moved farther away from people able to complete projects with others on time and at a quality level, much less do so with creativity and innovation.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason you had such negative experiences with that online statistics course was because of flaws in your earlier education. Part of what that earlier education *should* be about is preparing you for problems where there isn't instant response, where there isn't someone there to tell you whether you've got it correct or not. By the time you're taking a college-level course like that statistics course, whether that course is to provide its real value to you (whether its online or not) will depend on how and when you trust your own judgment and your own learning skills.

Using statistics in a meaningful way (as opposed to typing numbers into an Excel spreadsheet and then plugging, chugging, and printing the table and graph) demands constant acts of judgment by the user. And that's true whether one is using the most basic descriptive statistics like the mean and standard deviation as well as when you are using some doctoral level nonlinear regression model. I've seen hundreds of 18-22 year olds in the introductory stats course -- and maybe 10% of them are at the level they ought to be before taking such a course.

I'm not saying all homeschooled kids end up in that 10%. But I am saying that I am more confident that they will appear there significantly less often than those who had public school educations.

And again, I doubt it's even close.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Wade added more insight on why homeschooling is not the way to go lol

The only way homeschooling can work in my opinion is if it's tiered learning with a dedicated and responsible parent. Although, I think I might have an incorrect understanding of the definition of homeschool.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

Wade added more insight on why homeschooling is not the way to go lol

The only way homeschooling can work in my opinion is if it's tiered learning with a dedicated and responsible parent. Although, I think I might have an incorrect understanding of the definition of homeschool.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Of course, the same could be said of public education. Except that public education needs dedicated and responsible parents AND a system that works.

[grin1]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Of course, the same could be said of public education. Except that public education needs dedicated and responsible parents AND a system that works.

[grin1]

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Yep, I'm not too fond of our Public School's and my area has one of the better ones in Wisconsin.

In the perfect world ... I'd home online school my kids at their pace with materials that I choose for them to cover out of a wide array of options.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
I can't complain about my kids' elementary school so far. Possibly they aren't challenged enough.

The problem I have with home schooling is that the people choosing to do this need to be committed and not a bunch of wack jobs who want to shelter their children from the world. The primary job of a parent is to prepare the child for the world and that is pretty tough to do if all they see is the kitchen table at home. Basically you would be hindering your child socially.

And the other problem is how well rounded is the parent to begin with?
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago
I didn't real all the responses, but one I've seen a few times I have to call out on. The social aspect of homeschooling. It's a faux con to homeschooling. Every homeschool kid/person I have ever met were actually better in social situations than the average public school student. I don't necessarily know why, but it may have something to do with being homeschooled by the right program/parents, or just the fact that they aren't bombarded with anti-socializing tendencies (don't talk to strangers, etc). Whatever the case may be, and I know there are exceptions, homeschooling can NEVER be worse than the public school system. Certainly if one is homeschooling their child for the wrong reason, it can be damaging.. but don't underestimate the adaptability of kids.

That said, my wife and I would love to homeschool. We are working on making sure we are in the right place financially before having them so we can do as such. My sister-in-law is a HS history teacher and she is vehemently against homeschooling. We want nothing better than to prove her fallacies on homeschooling wrong.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I can't believe someone actually notes who was home schooled versus the traditional schooling and rates their social prowess on it. That's just frigging creepy shit right there.

One thing that would go against the social experience in a traditional school setting is ... your kid won't learn the negative social "norms".
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
12 years ago
i would be going into this eyes wide open. thankfully i know a few people who have home schooled their kids & they know what works & what doesn't. no decision has been made yet & probably won't until next year.

my kids have been exposed to alot far too young. they have an alcoholic father with parents who bail him out of everything. they've seen him lose his semi, his place to live, job after job, & believe me, they're learning a hard lesson from all of it. they watched me struggle with the decision to divorce their father, meet someone new, move to a new town, & start over. they've been right by my side through all of this. i wish i could've kept them 'little' far longer but i failed. we discuss more adult matters than i ever thought i would with my children but they are very inquisitive & i don't feel right lying to them about the way the world works.

someone mentioned fear as a motivation in this decision. i must admit that it is a small part of why i'm considering home schooling. we live near peoria which is a pretty rough city. that element has slowly been moving into my small town & it's not good. kids in school are extremely disruptive & disrespectful. last year a kid had a gun in the high school & another child - a 5th grader - brought drugs into the boys school. it's a pattern i see escalating.

the main reason for wanting to home school is to give my kids the best education possible. i don't feel at all that they are getting that now.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'd go with the advice I gave my mother regarding my brother. High School, yes, have him go to a traditional school. The years prior, if the right situation is presented, a home schooling routine could be greatly beneficial.

I'm pretty ignorant on the facts about a child earning a scholarship with home schooling and that is one reason I mention high school should be at a traditional school, plus some other positive learning opportunities.

If I could have afforded it, I would have done home schooling for my daughters in a heart beat. I would rather raise my children my way, than have some teacher who cares more about their benefit package than teaching kids any day of the week.

I feel teachers are more worried about their job security than their students actually learning. Yes, some teachers care not about their salary and care only about the kids, but in my experiences over the last several years ... that was not the case.

If a teacher has 30 students, only 4 of them earned an A ... it's the fault of the teacher, not the student. I find that very bothersome.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Having been homeschooled from 2nd grade through high school, I will tell you that I am a huge proponent of homeschooling as an educational alternative -- but NOT as a lifestyle choice.

In other words, do not let yourself make the mistake so many early homeschooling families made and become "homeschoolers." People who send their children to public school aren't "public schoolers" (except in the fevered minds of radical homeschoolers), so why should you become "homeschoolers"? If you are choosing to educate your children at home, that is awesome. They will almost certainly receive a far more in-depth and well-rounded education than their peers in the school. If you choose to make homeschooling your identity, though, if you make it an us-against-the-world mentality, then you start to create problems. Education is only a part of life -- it isn't life itself, and it certainly shouldn't be your worldview.

In my experience, a healthy homeschooling family answers the question of "So where do you go to school?" with "We educate our children at home" or "We homeschool." A family who brands itself "homeschoolers" is typically insular and experiences the socialization problems some people attribute to homeschooling.

I agree with Wade that the socialization issue is way overblown though. If your kids have friends in the community, participate in activities (sports, choir, volunteering, whatever), they get socialized. Learning how to interact with your peers is not how you succeed in the world anyway. In the real world, you have to know how to interact with people both much older and much younger with you. Dependency on people your age is a great recipe for failure in life.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.