4PackGirl
12 years ago
i understand what you're saying, non. thanks for the perspective. i really am not going into this as a 'i'm against public school fanatic' cuz i'm not. that's how i was educated & i enjoyed most of my school years. but i lacked confidence with my peers. i was quiet, shy, & then acted out like a rockstar for most of my high school years.
luckily, i hung around the older people in my life the most - learned alot from them over the years, made my share of mistakes in life, & am a pretty well adjusted person in the end.

my idea of home schooling includes everything - trips, museums, the arts, hands on learning opportunities, as well as book work. when i grew up, we took family vacations & we always did something educational whatever location we chose. my kids may sound odd but they absolutely LOVE watching antiques roadshow, anything relating to history, space, science, & wars. they're also fascinated with death, heaven, & prayer. some of our favorite times are floating in the pool having long conversations about whatever pops in their heads. then we play like maniacs, splash each other, dive for things, & are complete idiots. i think those are times that are irreplacable.
zombieslayer
12 years ago

i understand what you're saying, non. thanks for the perspective. i really am not going into this as a 'i'm against public school fanatic' cuz i'm not. that's how i was educated & i enjoyed most of my school years. but i lacked confidence with my peers. i was quiet, shy, & then acted out like a rockstar for most of my high school years.
luckily, i hung around the older people in my life the most - learned alot from them over the years, made my share of mistakes in life, & am a pretty well adjusted person in the end.

my idea of home schooling includes everything - trips, museums, the arts, hands on learning opportunities, as well as book work. when i grew up, we took family vacations & we always did something educational whatever location we chose. my kids may sound odd but they absolutely LOVE watching antiques roadshow, anything relating to history, space, science, & wars. they're also fascinated with death, heaven, & prayer. some of our favorite times are floating in the pool having long conversations about whatever pops in their heads. then we play like maniacs, splash each other, dive for things, & are complete idiots. i think those are times that are irreplacable.

Originally Posted by: 4packgirl 

You sound like an awesome mom. =d>

Seriously.

Sounds like they're getting a pretty good education from you already.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
4PackGirl
12 years ago
thanks zombie.
i owe alot of that to my dad, his fight with cancer, & his death.
my focus in life is making memories. may sound odd for someone in their 40's but in the end, that's all we have.
memories are what i cling to of my dad, trips we took, times we shared in the fields, singing songs while we walked beans, him pulling us with the tractor on our sleds, & well far too many more to list.
i'll never forget how worried my dad was that he hadn't left an imprint on our lives while he was close to death.
he had nothing to worry about.
Cheesey
12 years ago
I think the home situation is the most important. What i mean is, if they are given the love AND discipline they need, they can handle home schooling OR public.
Unfortunately, in today's world, "every child is special", and so those that screw around and mess it up for other kids arn't dealt with. It causes those that WANT to learn to be ignored.
I think i would have done better with home schooling, as i wouldn't have had to deal with the daily "dread" of the bullies that tortured me, and i would have been more able to excell.
I was also "bored" and never tried my best until i was in college. So i was only in the top third of my graduating class in high school.
I often wonder what i could have done had i been mentally "pushed" a little.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Kids never fail. It's the Teachers fault. That's the society we live in now. Kids are so precious and never do anything wrong.
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
12 years ago
Ahhhh.....as a retired teacher in public schools let me get my 3 cents worth in. While I was actively teaching I saw many kids come into the public schools after a year or two of home schooling and they had a very difficult time adjusting to the different teachers they had (they were NOT their Mom or Dad anymore) and adjusting to the many, many different social situations that confronted them. Those that did adjust nicely I found out had parents that were, or had been teachers and exposed them to many different cultural experiences as well as educational experiences.

That being said, after being retired for 4 years now, I may have a somewhat different viewpoint. Public schools are trying to do the best they can under some very trying conditions. Not only are parents demanding more and better schools (rightfully so) but the Feds at both the state and national level have put such pressure on teachers and administrators to "score high on those meaningless tests" that educating the "whole" student has fallen by the wayside.

Even here in Missoula since I retired staff moral has fallen sharply and the increase in early retirements among teachers has risen sharply. The PE teacher who took my place at my school when I retired told me she has 3 to 4 times more paper work to fill out and tests to do for federal/state requirements has tripled since I left. Glad I got out when I did.

So Julie, it's a hard decision. If you can give your boys a good education, help them mature and learn things they will need later in life, how to get along in society and be tolerant of all people, go for it. Try it for a year or two and see how things are going. I would not recommend homeschooling past middle school years or even 7th grade. By this time they would really miss out on the social/sports/advanced classes they maybe could get in the regular schools.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your boys.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
18 days have gone by and I have not read any of the posts other than the first one.

We considered it when my daughter was young. (20 years ago.) She was so bright (still is of course.) we didn't want her to get bored with school.

We decided against it.

My biggest concern was about where she would learn social interaction skills. Brownies, Girl Scouts, Summer softball park district team and the like offer some help but it is not the same as 7 hours a day 5 days a week. Plus the loss of the extra curricular actives that the schools offer. (I know there are a lot more options today than back then for the home schooled.)

My next concern was my wife. It would have been very demanding. Not only would she have to pt together the lesson plan and instruct the kids. She would have to do so year after year after year. It is a lot to ask of one person. You may be great at math and not too bad with English but then you still have to be good at history, spelling and everything else. (You could join a group and teach a couple of subjects and let other mothers teach other ones. But then what do you do when you don't like they way "Sally" teaches her subject? It is easier to complain about a school teacher than one of three mothers who teach a class.)

Another factor for teacher-mom is all the time you would be around your kids. Now you can send them away for a few hours and everyone gets a chance to reboot. If you teach them you are there nearly 24/7. it is tough on everybody. think about how short tempers get on a vacation in the car and hotel room. And that is a fun time. I and my wife worked together for years. My parent did it for even a longer period of time. It is not as easy as it seems. You are working with the person you love the most and yet you need your space every once in a while. Kids need to have a chance to act up. Home school takes that away.

Finally how long are you going to do this? if it is just grade school are the kids going to truly be prepared for the life of a high school student? It would be even harder on them socially in Jr Hi I would think.) If you teach them all the way through high school are they going to go on to college? It will be real culture shock to go from a 5-8 kid home school class room to a college of 10,000 students with all the stuff that takes place on and off campus outside of the class room.

Many kids hate school. Your job is to find out why. If it is boredom talk to the teachers and come up with a solution. If it is a bully or something like that you need to find that solution.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.