Rios39
12 years ago

Just so you know it is not technically considered a blitz unless you bring 5 or more. If there are 2 down linemen and you bring 2 linebackers or a LB and a safety it is still a 4 man rush. Personally I think it is dumb but this past summer I read/posted an article in the Press Gazette or Sentinel Journal that defined what construes a blitz. Some of the sages (I think one was Zombie) on this board confirmed it.
The benefit to having 2 or 3 down linemen is that the OL doesn't know where the pressure will come from. It is also easier to overload one side of the ball. I wouldn't mind it if they considered anyone other than one of the big chubby guys to be a blitzer.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes that is correct. It just gets a little more complicated when it's a 3 man line. Essentially when a linebacker rushes the passer in their words they'd call it a blitz.

Capers was being very aggressive at points in bringing pressure but it wasn't working. There were countless times I seen one on ones (which is what you WANT as a defense) but they weren't getting the job done, stafford was able to stand in the pocket as if it just your base 3-4 man rush.

I know they we aren't going to beat a team like the Saints if we are afraid to blitz. There will be times to stay somewhat safe but even 3 or 4 plays (per game) off bringing pressure could change the magnitude of the game.

Brad Jones was good in 09. 2010 was a wash.. and barely seen anything from him since. Hopefully his play on sunday is something he can build on.
blank
Rios39
12 years ago

DT is the two middle lineman in a 4 - 3 where a NT is the middle lineman in a 3 - 4, correct? I believe Raji spent a good deal of time at DE while Howard Green was NT.

I'm pointing this out because I think I might be misunderstanding something.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Raji has been playing more DE this year than last year as a whole. Which he seemed excited about in the pre season. Last year was all NT if I remember correctly.
blank
DoddPower
12 years ago
Two defensive linemen doesn't mean that only two people are rushing the QB. It's almost never two defensive linemen against 5-6 offensive line as someone has said, unless perhaps it's a three man rush which we have done occasionally. Usually if two D-Line are on the field, it just means we have at least two LBs or some other variety of personnel rushing the passer. Raji does in fact receive many double teams, but relative to last season, he isn't winning those much nor is he winning many one-on-ones when he gets them. I expect him and our defense as a whole to step up throughout the playoffs.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

No worries my friend. I'm still baffled on how a SACK can be remotely considered a pressure. A pressure I thought was something HAPPENING and a SACK is a result of something. Fucking English language sucks.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Call them QB disruptions then. Sacks are fairly disruptive.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Two defensive linemen doesn't mean that only two people are rushing the QB. It's almost never two defensive linemen against 5-6 offensive line as someone has said, unless perhaps it's a three man rush which we have done occasionally. Usually if two D-Line are on the field, it just means we have at least two LBs or some other variety of personnel rushing the passer. Raji does in fact receive many double teams, but relative to last season, he isn't winning those much nor is he winning many one-on-ones when he gets them. I expect him and our defense as a whole to step up throughout the playoffs.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Dodd I never said there would only be 2 men rushing the QB. When I used the the example of 2 linemen I said they would bring either 2 LB or a LB and someone else such as a safety.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

Dodd I never said there would only be 2 men rushing the QB. When I used the the example of 2 linemen I said they would bring either 2 LB or a LB and someone else such as a safety.

I'm sure I misunderstood your post somehow, but this is what I was referencing.

I am sure there are not too many other teams that line up just 1 or 2 downlinemen like GB does. Does this critic for Raji really expect him to make the tackle or get the sack when there are only 1 or 2 men going against 5 or 6 blockers?

Either way, it doesn't matter. My main point was just that Raji receives a lot of double teams, but so do most of the players in his position, such as Hampton, Wilfork, Ngata, etc. No one expects him to win often, but I feel as if he needs to win more, that is, if we want to win the Super Bowl this year. It's the unfortunate reality he is in due to the lack of pass rush from anywhere else on the defensive line.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I'm sure I misunderstood your post somehow, but this is what I was referencing.

Either way, it doesn't matter. My main point was just that Raji receives a lot of double teams, but so do most of the players in his position, such as Hampton, Wilfork, Ngata, etc. No one expects him to win often, but I feel as if he needs to win more, that is, if we want to win the Super Bowl this year. It's the unfortunate reality he is in due to the lack of pass rush from anywhere else on the defensive line.

Sorry I guess I waffled. The first one was a bit of an exaggeration. I know if doesn't happen that often if at all. This is the one I was referring to.

Just so you know it is not technically considered a blitz unless you bring 5 or more. If there are 2 down linemen and you bring 2 linebackers or a LB and a safety it is still a 4 man rush. Personally I think it is dumb but this past summer I read/posted an article in the Press Gazette or Sentinel Journal that defined what construes a blitz. Some of the sages (I think one was Zombie) on this board confirmed it.
The benefit to having 2 or 3 down linemen is that the OL doesn't know where the pressure will come from. It is also easier to overload one side of the ball. I wouldn't mind it if they considered anyone other than one of the big chubby guys to be a blitzer.

But you are correct BJ should be winning more than what he is.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Gregg Easterbrook had some pretty stinging words  this week for defensive coordinators who favor glitzy formations over fundamental tactics:

Now the Giants lead 7-0 and have second-and-goal on the Dallas 5. Again [Rob] Ryan sends a big blitz -- his defensive calls are about drawing attention to himself, not about winning. Abram Elam misses a tackle in the backfield, Nicks pastes Newsman and Ahmad Bradshaw walks into the end zone. Later on a 29-yard Bradshaw rush, the Cowboys were in a two-man front -- which has consistently backfired against Dallas, including in the 'Boys late collapse in their first game against these selfsame Giants. Ryan is so concerned about drawing attention to his own perceived genius, he can't just orchestrate a regular defense -- everything's got to be an exotic blitz or a weird two-man rush. Result? Cowboys are out of the postseason while the Giants, who play a conventional four-man front, are in.

I should add that I am not accusing Dom Capers of this. I just thought it was interesting in this context, and the talk of 2-man fronts reminded me of it.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

Gregg Easterbrook had some pretty stinging words  this week for defensive coordinators who favor glitzy formations over fundamental tactics:

I should add that I am not accusing Dom Capers of this. I just thought it was interesting in this context, and the talk of 2-man fronts reminded me of it.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I must admit, sometimes I'd like to see more standard four man rushes, 2 "DTs" and two LBs/DEs. Nothing is better than being able to get consistent pressure on the QB by only rushing four. We mostly have one pass rusher on our team, who often drops into coverage. I understand why we must rely on the scheme to confuse the QB simply because we have a lack of talent. It's just frustrating. A team like the Giants will be consistently dangerous because of their ability to rush the passer, especially if Eli continues to play well. Watching our defense this season makes the job Dick Lebeau does even more remarkable. That guy is able to plug almost anyone in his system and get great results. Although, to be fair, that defense has MUCH more pass rushing talent than we do. It's not even close, really. Even with James Harrison or Lamarr Woodley is out though, they still get nice pressure.

It's a personal pet peeve of mine, but I am sick of seeing the lousy pass rush. I hope it is addressed next season. For now, I hope it doesn't cost us a Super Bowl, because we could easily win another one this season with this offense if we can get slightly above average or better play from the defense. I'm not sure if I expect it to be significantly better next year considering we will likely be relying on a couple rookies for improvement. Many pass rushers often take a season or so to develop. Hopefully we find another gem that is very solid his first season, but that's asking a lot. Unless Mike Neal significantly improves this off season I think we will struggle again next season. I'm just not sure I see many of the other players making much more of a difference than they already have/do. Pickett is a solid player, but gets almost zero push on the pocket, and he's unlikely to improve with another year. As always, it's going to be an important draft.
gbguy20
12 years ago

He makes a point though. Raji has really suffered from the loss of Jenkins. At least I hope that's what it is so that he can return to form if we get another comparable defensive linemen like Jenkins. Hopefully he's not gotten complacent. If we are going to win the Super Bowl this season, Raji HAS to step it up several notches.

the entire defense has suffered from the loss of jenkins. his force on the line opened up opportunities for players all over our defense.