The_Claymaker
12 years ago

Disagree.. Suh last year was about as good as it gets on the interior line play.. true impact player. I may have had him higher actually.. hard pressed to tell me that there are many players better than him right now..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I don't think he was necesarily a better player than BJ Raji last year, Suh just plays in a scheme where that is geared more toward him making plays. I'm mean I understand his tackle and sack totals were very high for any defensive tackle, but Raji's were just as high in comparison to other 34 nose tackles. If your saying he was the best interior lineman I hope you calling Ngata a 5 technique, because I think that is a joke saying Suh is better than Ngata. Frankly I don't necesarilly se him as a better defensive player than Nnamdi, C-Wood, Polamalu, James Harrison, Clay, maybe even a pair of defensive ends I hate in Pepper and Jare Allen.

That said.. Porky reasoned that Ryan didn't belong because he needs more time to prove himself (my interpretation that needs a bigger body of work) then it seems ironic that Suh gets that nod upon one year. Have to believe that Porky believes Ryan needs to develop more, in which I may challenge a some.. but Ryan is close to that top 10. Personally.. I think Ryan was better over the course of the year than Brees.. heck I think Rivers was maybe better than either of them.

My opinion on Ryan differs greatly from yours and apparently a few people on here who think he's a fringe top 10. I wouldn't have in my top 5 QB's, maybe not in my top 50 players in the NFL. I think he's massively overrated. I put Brady, Peyton, Aaron, Brees, Rivers and Big Ben above him easily. Romo and Vick would probably beat him out to.

Now Joe Thomas..with the level in which he plays the left tackle spot.. there is little doubt that he belongs on a top 10 list.

Yeah that might have been my biggest overreaction. I don't necessarily have him in my top 10 but he's definitely in the argument.

Personally.. having 4 QB's ranked in the top 10 is the outrageous part.. IMO.

I would probably have the same 4 maybe not Brees.
Pack93z
12 years ago

I don't think he was necesarily a better player than BJ Raji last year, Suh just plays in a scheme where that is geared more toward him making plays. I'm mean I understand his tackle and sack totals were very high for any defensive tackle, but Raji's were just as high in comparison to other 34 nose tackles. If your saying he was the best interior lineman I hope you calling Ngata a 5 technique, because I think that is a joke saying Suh is better than Ngata. Frankly I don't necesarilly se him as a better defensive player than Nnamdi, C-Wood, Polamalu, James Harrison, Clay, maybe even a pair of defensive ends I hate in Pepper and Jare Allen.

Originally Posted by: The_Claymaker 

Well then.. if you want to disregard their impacts within their given schemes.. then throw out the whole concept of a "master" list of the top 100 players (which actually I would highly advocate because this type of activity is so subjective overall anyway) because there is no possible way to accurately judge players from varying schemes and level a gauge of worth.

I love the debate of techniques, schemes and defensive principles.. but I think it clouds this type of compilation too greatly.

What I see in Suh last year was a guy that came in and changed the way a defense played almost single-handed.. Raji is a great ball player, but I don't think he had the same overall impact as Suh.

Of course that is my view upon it.. and very possibly not correct.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
12 years ago

My opinion on Ryan differs greatly from yours and apparently a few people on here who think he's a fringe top 10. I wouldn't have in my top 5 QB's, maybe not in my top 50 players in the NFL. I think he's massively overrated. I put Brady, Peyton, Aaron, Brees, Rivers and Big Ben above him easily. Romo and Vick would probably beat him out to.

Originally Posted by: The_Claymaker 

=d>
The_Claymaker
12 years ago

Well then.. if you want to disregard their impacts within their given schemes.. then throw out the whole concept of a "master" list of the top 100 players (which actually I would highly advocate because this type of activity is so subjective overall anyway) because there is no possible way to accurately judge players from varying schemes and level a gauge of worth.

I love the debate of techniques, schemes and defensive principles.. but I think it clouds this type of compilation too greatly.

What I see in Suh last year was a guy that came in and changed the way a defense played almost single-handed.. Raji is a great ball player, but I don't think he had the same overall impact as Suh.

Of course that is my view upon it.. and very possibly not correct.

You have it completely wrong, I'm not disregarding their impacts within their given scheme I'm accounting for their impact within their given scheme. I'm accounting for the fact that as a nose in the 3-4 your job is more to hold the point of attack, and draw a double team, than penetrate like Suh does in his scheme. Unfortunately it is more difficult to tell how well a nose is doing because there are not glamourous stats for drawing double teams and allowing other players on your team to make plays. Despite playing in a scheme that is not beneficial to him him putting up a lot of sacks he still got 6.5. My point was 10 sacks like Suh is impressive for a DT, but 6.5 is arguably just as impressive for a zero technique in a 34. Sure Suh came in and helped in the transformation of a terrible defense to around an average defense, but it's not like the Lions defense was off the charts last year. Additionally you could say with the two years that BJ and Clay have had they turned an average defense into an elite defense, a much more difficult shift (though of course there was the addition of two of them, then again you can't entirely credit the Lions improvement to Suh).
Stevetarded
12 years ago
6.5 sacks for a NT who plays over 70% of his plays with only 1 other lineman is way more impressive than 10 sacks from a DT who gets to rush the passer on almost every play.
blank
porky88
12 years ago
When was the last time a DT recorded 10 sacks in a season, let alone his rookie year?

The answer is Warren Sapp in 06 with the Raiders and I cannot recall if a rookie ever did so recently.

Suh can single handily disrupt a game on his own. Without Suh, I'm not sure the Lions go on their four-game winning streak last season and I know they aren't anywhere near a potential wildcard team they could be.

Raji is a very solid NT. In fact, he is the best NT in the NFC right now, but he is a vastly different player than Suh. Suh plays the three technique in a 4-3 defense, which yes, does allow him to create havoc. However, 10 sacks from that position is amazing. I cannot stress that enough. The rush he provides inside is comparable to players in the Hall of Fame. Right now, he pushes the pocket and creates more havoc in the backfield than any defensive lineman in football creates.

I also would note majority of Raji’s snaps came from a 2-4-5 alignment anyways. He moved out of the nose spot, which is demonized to some extent and into a a more favorable role.

A better comparison for Raji would Ngata, who moves around in similar ways. With that said, Ngata is probably the most game planned for defensive lineman in the NFL. He actually might be the most game planned for defensive player right now, which is why he is No. 3 on my list. Teams will block him with up to as many as three guys to stop him from penetrating the backfield. That frees up those Raven LBs to make the plays they do. Ngata makes guys around him better, as does Suh, which makes them special players. Raji has the ability to make a similar impact someday, but for all his success last season, he has not achieved that quite yet.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Suh Suhks. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

=d>

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Not sure is your emoticon is for sarcasm or serious..

But to put Big Ben higher than Ryan is laughable.

The way I see the list as.. If I had my choice picks to fill my favorite team's roster.. Who would I pick? And in no circumstance whatsoever would I EVER pick Big Ben before Matt Ryan.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
The_Claymaker
12 years ago

Not sure is your emoticon is for sarcasm or serious..

But to put Big Ben higher than Ryan is laughable.

The way I see the list as.. If I had my choice picks to fill my favorite team's roster.. Who would I pick? And in no circumstance whatsoever would I EVER pick Big Ben before Matt Ryan.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

What's so laughable about 3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 rings in seven seasons? Your response will be he has had a great defense and run game. Guess what? Matt Ryan is built on the same principle, he's not a gunslinger who has thrown his team to victories. Neither of them have put up as big passing numbers as Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers. There are some people who when evaluating QB's overemphasize winning and others who overemphasize passing stats. However Big Ben blows Matt Ryan out of the water in terms of winning, and is on par or above Ryan from a pure passing stats standpoint.
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
If you are forced to choose one of those two as your quarterback, you are going to have to assemble a dynamite defense.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
wpr (23h) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5m / Around The NFL / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.