13 years ago

We proved that we could run on them.. why not mix it in and create even larger passing lanes for Rodgers to attack and the receivers to hurt them in YAC?

Nothing more.

"Pack93z" wrote:

There were more running plays called, but Rodgers called out of a number of them based on the look the defense was giving him. I think Rodgers improved the average YPC by Starks by diagnosing the defense and giving him the rock when a run would be successful more often than not.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

I still can't believe we're having this discussion.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Neither can I. I wonder who started this dead-horse thread with a comment like:

We'll never talk about the need for a balanced offense again. Thank God. Was getting sick of that.

"zombieslayer wrote:

If you're truly sick of it, and can't believe it's being discussed, then quit bringing it up.

Again, since I apparently am not expressing myself plainly:

We had 3 turnovers from our defense. We should have creamed the Steelers. Why didn't we???

Was their passing game better? NO--AR threw for more yards and a more TDs.

Was their Special Teams better? Did their STs lead to scores? NO.

Was their coaching better? Not in my opinion. I thought MM's decisions were at least as good as Tomlin's, and I'd argue better.

So we're down to a running game--Steelers had one, we didn't. That was the ONLY aspect of the game where the Steelers were better than the Packers, and it was almost enough to overcome 3 turnovers.

What I can't believe is that you start this thread the way you did and then complain that you can'tbelieve we're still having this discussion. :violent3:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It's about time you made that signature big enough, macbob.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

It's about time you made that signature big enough, macbob.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I keep going to squeeze it down, but the pictures start getting pixel-ly, so I went to take some of the pictures out, and I liked them all and couldn't decide which one should go.

I mean, which would you cut??? Bishop recovering the fumble? Howard Green knocking Ben's arm so Collins can intercept??? Collins scoring on the Pick??? Jennings juking out Palomalo and scoring a TD??? Woody defending (and breaking his collar bone)??? Aaron Rodgers throwing a strike while under pressure??? CM3 and Aaron Rodgers holding the Lombardi Trophy???

Decisions, decisions. I just couldn't do it. Sigh...
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I'd say take the contrarian path and blow it up another 200% or so.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

Or focus on the OL in the draft. Let's not forget that the Steelers have perhaps the best front 7 in the NFL and that's why he took all those hits.

Don't worry, you'll get your wish next year. Grant is 100% as we speak and he could have played Sunday. It's just IR rules kept him out of the game.

"macbob" wrote:

Our OL did a pretty decent job in the game. Aaron Rodgers was taking hits because we did not have a credible threat of a run game to slow down the pass rush.

One play in the 2nd half stood out. Starks was in at RB, Aaron Rodgers ran a PA fake to Starks. A LB was blitzing through the hole near where Starks was and didn't even give Starks a 2nd glance--he was making a bee-line towards Rodgers. Starks was only able to chip the LB, and Rodgers got sacked on the play.

Unless you are saying:
1) the Steelers had a better offense than the Packers
2) the Steelers had a better defense than the Packers
3) the Steelers Special Teams outperformed the Packers Special Teams
or 4) Mike Tomlin out-coached Mike McCarthy

I would like to hear your explanation on why we only won by 6 in a game where our D got 3 turnovers and scored a TD on one of them.

I don't believe any of those 4 in this Super Bowl. I'll anticipate your argument, because in my opinion it's the only possible one you could make--the receivers dropping balls.

Passing and catching in these tight areas, with DBs banging you and hanging on you is difficult. The drops were all on bang-bang, hard-thrown balls with defenders in the immediate area making life difficult for the receivers. When you throw it 39 times, you're going to have some drops. Get used to it, because no one is 100% perfect.

You can't subtract those out of your passing game. It would be like someone advocating running the ball saying take away the negative runs where an OL man missed his block--it's part of the running game, it happens.

So, with the totality of our passing game in SB XLV, we only won by 6 pts.

Aaron Rodgers had a TERRIFIC game, and we would have lost without those turnovers. The passing game by itself was not enough to win.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Maybe it really is the 3 dropped TDs instead of the running game. Rodgers should have been 36 of 39 for over 400 yards and 6TDs but Nelson dropped 4, Jennings, Jones and Swain all dropped one. One was in the end zone when Nelson was behind the D. One was on the side line when Jones was behind the D. Another was in the same area with Nelson behind the D. Not one of them was covered well. The defenders may have broken up Swains catch. But the other ones were hit in the hands when they were open and flat out dropped the ball. The ones in tight windows were caught by Jennings.

You dismissed the argument out of hand and denied that those were easily catchable balls that went through the WRs hands. Without that, your argument falls apart. Which is why the preemptive dismissal.

Didn't Mendenhall only have 11 more yards on a 3 more attempts than Starks? 4.7 yards per carry isn't credible?

Maybe the LB say that Starks didn't have the ball and didn't need to bite on the Fake, he had an unobstructed view.

We would have won by 23 if we caught the passes is exactly as valid an argument as we would have lost without the turnovers.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Thanks Dexter.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
13 years ago

Maybe it really is the 3 dropped TDs instead of the running game. Rodgers should have been 36 of 39 for over 400 yards and 6TDs but Nelson dropped 4, Jennings, Jones and Swain all dropped one. One was in the end zone when Nelson was behind the D. One was on the side line when Jones was behind the D. Another was in the same area with Nelson behind the D. Not one of them was covered well. The defenders may have broken up Swains catch. But the other ones were hit in the hands when they were open and flat out dropped the ball. The ones in tight windows were caught by Jennings.

You dismissed the argument out of hand and denied that those were easily catchable balls that went through the WRs hands. Without that, your argument falls apart. Which is why the preemptive dismissal.

Didn't Mendenhall only have 11 more yards on a 3 more attempts than Starks? 4.7 yards per carry isn't credible?

Maybe the LB say that Starks didn't have the ball and didn't need to bite on the Fake, he had an unobstructed view.

We would have won by 23 if we caught the passes is exactly as valid an argument as we would have lost without the turnovers.

"Dexter_Sinister wrote:

Dexter-No, I didn't dismiss the drops. The point I was trying to make was that even with the drops our passing game was better than the Steelers. I mixed in another argument (it's unrealistic to expect there to be no drops) that just confused the point I was trying to make.

Rodgers threw for 304 yds and 3 TDs. Worthlessburger threw for 263 yds and 2 TDs. And we had a pick 6. Why did we not win by more???

IF their STs didn't score them points,
IF their D didn't score them points,
IF our passing game was scoring more TDs/points than theirs,
AND our D was taking the ball away (and scoring a TD for us)

The only thing left I can see for why the game wasn't a blow out is because they ran the ball better than we did.

In the second half of the game, their team gave us the same treatment we gave New England--mixed up their offense, controlled time of possession, kept our offense sitting on the sidelines for large portions of the time. Steelers KILLED us on time of possession in the 3rd/early 4th quarter.

Yards in the Steelers TD in the 3rd quarter to make it 21-17 were all on the ground (NOTE: one of the plays was a 6 yd scramble by Roethlisberger).

So, like it or not, with Rodgers throwing for over 300 yds, with 3 TDs and 0 Int, and a 109 QB rating--pretty damn good stats and a darn sight better than the opposing QB--the passing game would not have been enough to win the game without the turnovers. We would have lost the Super Bowl.

The passing game--by itself--was not enough to win the game.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
That's nitpicking.

D wins championships. Everyone knows that.

Now for O, passing > running. By far. Not even close.

You're still dismissing Dexter's point though. Steelers score 26 points. Take away our 7 points by a pick 6 and add 21 points by receivers actually catching the ball and we got a 45-26 game. Not a close game by any means.

So in other words, catch the damn ball people!
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Mendenhall only rushed for 11 yards more than Starks and actually had a lower average per carry than Starks did. I don't see how that could have had such a dramatic impact. Yes, Roethlisberger contributed an additional 31 yards, but those were all on protection breakdowns, not designed rushes.

I think this is a nonissue.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.