Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I'm not being vague. I'm saying servicemembers aren't special. They're doing a job they voluntarily signed up to do. It's no more honorable or necessary or important than any other job. People will say if it weren't for the military, we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy. Now leaving aside how questionable I find that statement (given that with the exception of Great Britain, there's never been a nation that truly represented an imminent threat to the survival of this country, and they lost), I would answer that if it weren't for the average Joe on the street, this country would be intolerable too. If every one of us were servicemembers, there'd be no one left to make the country we know and love. As far as I'm concerned, servicemembers are a group of people performing a highly specific function, one that is relatively minor and insignificant in the grand scheme of things and wouldn't fundamentally alter our lifestyle were it to cease. That's why the Founding Fathers envisioned a system of militias for this country, as opposed to a centralized federally run military.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

I'm not being vague. I'm saying servicemembers aren't special. They're doing a job they voluntarily signed up to do. It's no more honorable or necessary or important than any other job. People will say if it weren't for the military, we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy. Now leaving aside how questionable I find that statement (given that with the exception of Great Britain, there's never been a nation that truly represented an imminent threat to the survival of this country, and they lost), I would answer that if it weren't for the average Joe on the street, this country would be intolerable too.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree, my main problem was with your statement that seemed to imply that a nurse working in an ER in the US or a teacher is doing something just as commendable as someone actively in a combat zone, willingly becoming a human target. We all serve important functions in society, and I do believe that most people are underrespected in the work that they do, everyone from food service workers to computer programmers to nurses.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
That is exactly what I was implying. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the single most dangerous job in America is meatpacking, where almost 27% of workers sustain an injury on the job every year. The casualty rates for servicemembers are nowhere remotely this high.

But as far as I'm concerned, the element of danger is irrelevant anyway. I am far more grateful to the civilian doctors and nurses who -- admittedly, away from the rigors of combat -- saved the lives of my prematurely born sons than I am to the medics I deployed with, supposedly in the name of defending my freedom, who openly bragged about causing unnecessary pain to their patients because, ya know, they might have been terrorists (and who gives a shit about ragheads and sand niggers anyway?) -- thereby violating the sacred trust to which all medical professionals ascribe: "First, do no harm."

There was a silly girl in my unit who once spoke up while we were in formation: "I want you all to know," she said, "that we're all heroes just for for being here."

I turned to her and said, "Sweetie, the real heroes don't make it home."
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
By the way, I'm going to come out right here and admit I'm a total hypocrite. Every time I see a ROTC cadet wearing the UW-L patch on his right shoulder, I grind my teeth. I always think they don't deserve to wear anything on their right shoulder, since they've never done anything or gone anywhere. It pisses me off.

But that doesn't mean I think it should be illegal to wear it there.
UserPostedImage
flep
13 years ago
Basically

The Village People are fecked aren't they???
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
so, was I wrong when at 10 (or 12 or whenever it was) I wore my dad's Bronze Star and uniform on Halloween? Was my dad wrong in okaying it? Were we being disrespectful?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Yes, Wade. Clearly nothing was sacred for your father.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
There have been great points both by Non and Porforis.
There are many "jobs" that deserve our respect.
The first line of protection though, comes from our people in the military. Without them, we probably wouldn't be talking here right now.
Non has the right to his opinion. And that's what it is, his opinion. If he chooses to not put military people on a different level, he has the right to feel that way.
I also have met military people that, after talking with them, lost respect for them. But that was because of the person, not because of the overall military. There are honorable people in all professions.
The doctor that found my blockages, and the surgeon that saved my life, are honerable people.
Of course they didn't have anyone shooting at them while they were doing their jobs.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Neither do the vast majority of military personnel who deploy, though. I doubt ten percent of deployed servicemembers ever hear (much less return) a shot fired in anger. Unless you count mortar fire zinging harmlessly overhead, in which case the number probably climbs.

By your standard, civilian personnel performing convoy or base security; medical missionaries in war-torn countries; and EMS personnel in some of the embattled areas of our own big cities should be worthy of greater honor. For that matter, so should meatpackers, nearly 30% of whom are injured on a yearly basis providing us with the food we eat (compared with the less than 4% of deployed servicemembers who have been killed or received reportable injuries). I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but if that's what you believe, I think it should be stated more explicitly.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

Neither do the vast majority of military personnel who deploy, though. I doubt ten percent of deployed servicemembers ever hear (much less return) a shot fired in anger. Unless you count mortar fire zinging harmlessly overhead, in which case the number probably climbs.

By your standard, civilian personnel performing convoy or base security; medical missionaries in war-torn countries; and EMS personnel in some of the embattled areas of our own big cities should be worthy of greater honor. For that matter, so should meatpackers, nearly 30% of whom are injured on a yearly basis providing us with the food we eat (compared with the less than 4% of deployed servicemembers who have been killed or received reportable injuries). I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but if that's what you believe, I think it should be stated more explicitly.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Doesn't the vast majority of military personnel have to go through at least Basic Training? On that information alone, they do more than a civilian does. Thus, they earn it more.

The only reason I'm even 'debating' this is it's obviously an issue with the military brass, otherwise why the rules stating against it? I don't know if it's a sacred thing, or a logistic thing or what.. But it's obviously something they don't like. Sounds to me like the real issue is the lack of stressing those rules.

BTW, the difference between an actor wearing a military uniform and a private in the Army wearing a uniform is pretty simple. The uni that the private is wearing was military issued. The one the actor is wearing is a replica.

I really think it's a principle thing rather than a logistical thing.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (22h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.