Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Seriously.. what would drive a person to do such?

I wish there was more to the story on how he got caught and he rationale for donning the metals.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_0defd1ac-ed42-11df-8fb2-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story 

MADISON A West Salem man has been accused in federal court of wearing an Army uniform and medals in the Sept. 25 Maple Leaf Parade even though hed never served. Gary Spors, 26, could face up to six months in federal prison if convicted on the misdemeanor charge of wearing unauthorized military medals.

The information filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Madison had few details, but contends Spors appeared in the Oktoberfest event in uniform, with a major rank insignia and combat infantryman and parachutist badges.

La Crosse and Onalaska police and the FBI investigated the case, which has been assigned to First Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Sinnott.

Spors is set to appear in court Dec. 8. He did not respond Wednesday to requests for comment.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I can understand some sensitivity towards this act.

However, what's the line between a Halloween costume of some sort and onerously portraying oneself as a member of the armed forces and is hence, punishable under law?

Maybe he wanted to serve but couldn't. Isn't it often said that imitation is the best form of flattery? Maybe he's wearing a friend's or family member's badges and rank. I know it's most likely just him portraying himself as a soldier, but what if the above was true? Where do we draw the line?

If people wear a pilot's uniform is that illegal? Or how about a (dirty) nurse uniform, or doctor's, or police officer's? Is it simply if the person attempts to defraud and misrepresent or in any situation?

I'm sure nobody would mind if a son wore his father's medals and uniform in a parade. How about a lifelong friend who lost his best mate? How about just a friend, or acquaintance or work colleague filling in?

Just something to think about.
blank
Formo
13 years ago
Engineer.. Good point, but since it's a big no-no to wear something that was not presented to you (i.e. military unis, metals, badges, etc.) by the US Military, that's where the line is drawn.

If you were a best friend or family member, you'd know the ramifications of wearing that uniform. And how it's a big no-no.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
13 years ago
Every so often you hear of people trying to pass themselves off as veterans.
Why do they do it? They want the pats on the back, without ever doing what it took to EARN that pat.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Well, I once wore my Dad's bronze star on Halloween. He was okay with it. I think I was 10.

Of course, when I asked how he got the thing he said, "Oh, that was for going two weeks once without being demoted."

He never did tell us how he got the star or his other ribbons/medals. All I really know is (a) He did sheet metal work on B-25s, (b) he once was promoted/demoted 4.5 times in like three months; (c) he had little respect for officers. Discharged as tech sergeant, but according to him and the one army buddy of his I once met, it was the second time in the rank.

And of course all the records save the enlistment were lost in the 1973 St Louis fire, so I'll likely never know whether even those were true. (I did see a pic once of him with the four stripes of a staff sgt, but not of the fifth.)

I am so pissed at myself for not remembering better the few stories he did tell.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Since69
13 years ago
September 25th is not Halloween (not that this would be acceptable on Halloween, either). Seeing a uniform (and medals!) on a civilian is a slap in the face to anyone who ever served in our country's military.

That uniform is a suit of honor, and wearing it is a privilege reserved for those who have earned it.

Maybe this knucklehead didn't realize that, but I sure hope he does now.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Yes the government has regulations against it.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt 

10 USC Sec. 771
-EXPCITE-
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART II - PERSONNEL
CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

-HEAD-
Sec. 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

-STATUTE-
Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of
the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may
wear -
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the
Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive
part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine
Corps.

-SOURCE-
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 34.)

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Seeing a uniform (and medals!) on a civilian is a slap in the face to anyone who ever served in our country's military.

"Since69" wrote:

Holy hyperbole, people! I have three rows of ribbons on my chest (not to mention airborne wings) and I couldn't care less who wears a uniform or awards.

Heck, the guy is 26 and was wearing major rank. It's not like anyone would have taken him seriously anyway. Who was harmed by the costume? As long as he wasn't applying for veterans benefits, I don't see what the big deal is, 10 USC 771 not withstanding. I'm amazed that law has withstood First Amendment scrutiny anyway. I know George Bush's infamous Stolen Valor Act of 2006 was struck down this past August by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as an unconstitutional infringement of freedom of speech. I applaud them for their courage in handing down that decision.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
13 years ago
i was waiting for your reponse to this, nsd.

you're a consistent lil f'er aren't you? 😉
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
The only time I would be willing to give a pass is if the person had been documented as being a little weak minded. If someone doesn't have the mental capacity to know what they are doing is wrong I would cut them some slack. They still can't wear it. Just no punishment for what they did. Otherwise son, daughter, grandchild, best mates and all the rest can wear the uni in their home but not out in public.

Good thing he wasn't wearing the Medal of Honor. I would suggest he be hung by his nads for 6 months.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (22h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.