Pack93z
12 years ago

I don't think you can blame one specific area. There were flaws all over the place. I agree Rodgers played poorly and I second concerns on the wideouts. However, their rush up the middle was great. The reason you didn't see Aldon Smith or Ahmad Brooks coming off the edge on Newhouse was that they were playing containment on Rodgers. That or they looped them around and blitzed them up the middle. The 49ers went after Saturday and Lang and opted to let Rodgers stay in the pocket. It's similar to how teams defend Mike Vick. It's not a pass rush designed for statistics, but it's very effective, and the Packers had no adjustment for it.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I will agree.. they were attacking the middle of the line.. but the line wasn't dropping protection.. they were getting push against us, but rarely broke through in the middle. Normally, Rodgers handles that pressure in his face.. today not so well.. but that was also assisted by the Niners pressing the Packers.

To beat that.. you either run it effectively at them or you screen them until you get them to at least pause before pushing.. Cobb out of the backfield was as close as that got today.

Don't care if the Niners got stats or not.. the line play was not the issue today in the passing game. They picked up almost all the blitzes properly and handled pressure snap in and out. We have to become more balanced so that when we play these better team with good defensive fronts.. we can get them to respect the run/screen. We are not that now nor were we that last season.. that falls on Mike McCarthy through to the line coaches.

This team just cannot get a consistent push in the running game. That allows the defense to dictate to the offense in terms of protection and pressure. We have not resolved that yet.. that falls on MM. We have the size on the offensive line to do it.. we have guys that regress as they play for us in terms of run blocking.. that falls on our offensive line coaches.

So now we have an offense that can't sustain drives, so that puts more pressure on a defense that has to improve and become more physical themselves.. the defense kept us in the game today. They had one series where there gave up a number of big plays.. the remainder of the drives they played alright considering that they were on the field for the bulk of the day.

Offensive balance comes into play way past the offensive stat sheet... we need to improve there. So one game, looks like a repeat of 2011, just the elite defenses of the league can slow it down.

The Packers just looked at the team to beat in 2012 IMO, the most complete team there is. And they struggled but still had a chance.

That is why I think in the long run this game helps the 2012 Packers.. they have been shown again that they just aren't physical enough to hang with the big burly dogs right now.

All is not lost.. we can improve from here.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
12 years ago

Looks like the same defense to me. When does the accountability start? Looks like the same offensive line, also. Looks like the same running game, too. We all know the answer. We have to lose more games before there is any mention of accountability. We roll like a college town in our blind faith, also. There is a lot to be said for that in a back-woods-NFL-town, but what's wrong with demanding excellence when it's so closely achievable?

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

We are in agreement.. there is still work to do.

To me, I think we will see awfully quick whether they respond or not.. yes accountability is what I am talking about.

Someone has gotta bow his back up and demand it.. do we have that player on the roster? Or the coach on the roster.

I can't believe Green hasn't completely snapped with the lack of physical play by this defense.. someone has to get pissed.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
12 years ago

I will agree.. they were attacking the middle of the line.. but the line wasn't dropping protection.. they were getting push against us, but rarely broke through in the middle. Normally, Rodgers handles that pressure in his face.. today not so well.. but that was also assisted by the Niners pressing the Packers.

To beat that.. you either run it effectively at them or you screen them until you get them to at least pause before pushing.. Cobb out of the backfield was as close as that got today.

Don't care if the Niners got stats or not.. the line play was not the issue today in the passing game. They picked up almost all the blitzes properly and handled pressure snap in and out. We have to become more balanced so that when we play these better team with good defensive fronts.. we can get them to respect the run/screen. We are not that now nor were we that last season.. that falls on Mike McCarthy through to the line coaches.

This team just cannot get a consistent push in the running game. That allows the defense to dictate to the offense in terms of protection and pressure. We have not resolved that yet.. that falls on MM. We have the size on the offensive line to do it.. we have guys that regress as they play for us in terms of run blocking.. that falls on our offensive line coaches.

So now we have an offense that can't sustain drives, so that puts more pressure on a defense that has to improve and become more physical themselves.. the defense kept us in the game today. They had one series where there gave up a number of big plays.. the remainder of the drives they played alright considering that they were on the field for the bulk of the day.

Offensive balance comes into play way past the offensive stat sheet... we need to improve there. So one game, looks like a repeat of 2011, just the elite defenses of the league can slow it down.

The Packers just looked at the team to beat in 2012 IMO, the most complete team there is. And they struggled but still had a chance.

That is why I think in the long run this game helps the 2012 Packers.. they have been shown again that they just aren't physical enough to hang with the big burly dogs right now.

All is not lost.. we can improve from here.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I just don't think they have a rhythm. On the rare occasions they get into one, it's a fluke. It's just not something Mike McCarthy emphasizes, imo.

Just doesn't seem they show up ready to play on a regular basis.

Fortunately, Ted keeps giving us plenty of good players.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rios39
12 years ago
I seen it last year, this offense suffers against man coverage. When it's zone we have so many weapons that we can run through it. When it's press we don't get open till rodgers needs to hold the ball for near 4 seconds or Rodgers doesn't see the field properly.

It's certainly a concern. We beat the Steelers in man to man with some zones pretty handedly on offense I see a lot of similarity between the defenses so I thought we may handle the 49ers better than this.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Looks like the same defense to me. When does the accountability start? Looks like the same offensive line, also. Looks like the same running game, too. We all know the answer. We have to lose more games before there is any mention of accountability. We roll like a college town in our blind faith, also. There is a lot to be said for that in a back-woods-NFL-town, but what's wrong with demanding excellence when it's so closely achievable?

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I'm with Foster here. The writing is on the wall. We over-achieved last year and this year, we're worse than last year.

We have CM3, possibly the best defensive player in all of football. He'll be doubled next game, and then by everyone else from here on out. Then what?

The D was pathetic. Someone in another thread said we made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady. Yes, that's the problem. We're lucky it was this close. Smith had open WRs all day long and he's too mediocre to find them. We got really, really lucky it was as close as it was. Thank God it was Alex Smith QB'ing for the Niners.

This team sucks. The OL sucks. Finley can't catch a ball. We're going 9-7 or 8-8 this year.

Sorry folks. Truth hurts. It was silly to think 🇦🇷 could have two straight 45 TDs vs 6 INTs seasons. 🇦🇷's not gonna save us in 2012 like he did in 2011.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rios39
12 years ago

I'm with Foster here. The writing is on the wall. We over-achieved last year and this year, we're worse than last year.

We have CM3, possibly the best defensive player in all of football. He'll be doubled next game, and then by everyone else from here on out. Then what?

The D was pathetic. Someone in another thread said we made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady. Yes, that's the problem. We're lucky it was this close. Smith had open WRs all day long and he's too mediocre to find them. We got really, really lucky it was as close as it was. Thank God it was Alex Smith QB'ing for the Niners.

This team sucks. The OL sucks. Finley can't catch a ball. We're going 9-7 or 8-8 this year.

Sorry folks. Truth hurts. It was silly to think 🇦🇷 could have two straight 45 TDs vs 6 INTs seasons. 🇦🇷's not gonna save us in 2012 like he did in 2011.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Finley and Cobb looked like all we had. James had an ok game.

blank
doddpower
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

hah, this post is a little over the top, imo. We're going to look better, and a 9-7 record should be the WORST. Multiple "good" teams looked bad today. I don't think it had as much to do with the Packer's not being a good team as much as it was the 49'ers being a GREAT team. I think they just may be that good. It's easy for players/a team to look bad when playing a team that is truly "that good." I wasn't a believer in the 49'ers, but I think I am now. The Packer's were outplayed in every way and incredibly out-coached. If the 49'ers can maintain that kind of play, I don't see how they will not win the Super Bowl.

As I said, I have no doubt the Packer's will look sharp for the majority of the season. Unfortunately for everyone else in the NFC, I think the 49'ers are currently elite; from the coaching, to the defense, and to the execution of a controlling offensive scheme. They literally impose their will on the opposing team. Pack93z has GOT to love that team, heh heh.

Another nice thing about their system is it doesn't completely rely on a single player or two. It is truly a team effort from special teams, defense, and offense. It was something to watch, I can't deny it.

EDIT: Be honest. Did anyone here ACTUALLY think Rodgers was going to produce a game tying 8 point drive near the end of the game? I know I didn't.
DarkaneRules
12 years ago
The 49ers are, in my opinion, the most complete team in the league. I expected this outcome. I also expect us to get better when it matters. I predicted a 10 and 6 season, so we'll see.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
LambeauEast
12 years ago

49ers-27
Packers-24

Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Originally Posted by: LambeauEast 

I ALMOST got the score correct also! 🤦

UserPostedImage
Packerchick
12 years ago

CedBen sucked.

Remember against the Bares last year? Starks was going nowhere fast but Grant was finding the holes.

Where was Green today? Didn't even give him a chance.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Could not even find Driver on the field, saw a glimpse of him on the sidelines.

I am a woman and I love football.