Porforis
12 years ago
As depressing as this game was, I can't believe how many people are willing to say that our defense and running game suck. Our defense made improvements on rushing the passer, was about the same as last season if not a little better vs an elite rusher and very solid line, and the big problem on D was miscommunication in the secondary.

The offense often failed to move the ball as effectively as we should, but we were going up against an elite defense. Personally, I'd rather start the season with areas to improve rather than win the first 13 games with a target on our ass and ego the size of Green Bay to kill us towards the end of the season. Only person or area that really concerns me in the long run at this point is Finley. He started out the game making big catches we didn't see him make last year, but later on he started dropping must-catch passes and on more than one occasion started picking fights with defenders. Yes, I know this isn't hopskotch. But if someone steps on your foot, don't start climbing on top of him then start pretending that he just blew your ankle out, and start hitting other guys in the face that aren't even getting in yours. To me, Finley seemed undisciplined and really needs to start realizing that he's not an elite TE until he's done something sometime in the last year and a half.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I got home when Randall Cobb returned the Punt for a touchdown. I just got done watching the rest of the game. The game I watched, the Packers were the pretty boy and 49ers were the ugly kid with a solid right hook.

If they are not going to call the contact on WR/CB's at all, I'm happy, but they missed a couple that were really blatant. The Vernon Davis score was a clean pick and hold that gave Alex Smith a good window to throw into. The Randall Cobb Punt Return shouldn't have counted, so those scores kind of wash one another. Clay Matthews was held several times and I mean held that it changed his direction and it wasn't called.

The 49ers BEAT the Packers, plain and simple. Yes, bad calls, but they went both ways. 49ers had a few that helped sustain their drives on 3rd down that I didn't like, but Packers need to make the plays, not wait for the referee's to bail them out.

Randall Cobb, Jermichael Finley and James Jones I thought played really solid games. I was really pleased with what I seen from James Jones. I'm not surprised the haters here haven't mentioned it, but he ran some good routes and caught some balls cleanly with his hands, not his body. I like that.

What cost the Packers this game was the defense failing to GET OFF THE FIELD. I didn't really notice too many missed tackles, but rather a lot of bad angles that gave them less opportunistic chances for making the tackle.

Oh, the Aaron Rodgers interception, I still don't know what he was thinking there. I am inclined to believe the 49ers got into his head and that's why he threw it there.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

It's one game. This is a team that was in the NFC championship last year. It's a good team. Hopefully we see them down the road in the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers wrote:

Be careful what you ask for.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
You all are giving the Niners too much credit. The Niners will win their division. Then not much else. They overachieved last year and I highly doubt they'll be 13-3 again this year.

As a historian, last year for us was a fluke. We had the best O and a lousy D. That's the Dickey to Lofton years all over again. Fun and exciting to watch, but come Playoff time, we'll be lucky to win a Playoff game.

Defense wins Championships. I've done that post already and showed how important D is to SB winners.

We had the #1 D in '66, #3 in '67, #1 in '96, and #2 in '10. No coincidence.

Our D is awful. 🇦🇷 will single-handedly win us a bunch of games this year. We'll probably make the Playoffs. I said 8-8 earlier but that's because I was fucking pissed. The truth is, we'll go 10-6, then either lose the first or second round of the Playoffs. You simply cannot win a SB with a D this bad.

And once more, the Niners' O is NOT complete. It's NOT that good. Alex Smith sucks. I've watched him his entire career and out of the 32 starting QBs, he's in the bottom half. That hasn't changed. Our D is so bad, it made him look good.

Our game plan has to continue as last year - being super aggressive offensively and letting 🇦🇷 win the game for us. If we try to do a balanced O, we'll fail. I know that will annoy some people here by me saying the truth, but truth hurts. That's how we're gonna win games. Our D sucks. The sooner you admit it to yourself, the better you'll feel when you get your hopes up after 🇦🇷 starts winning us some games.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rios39
12 years ago

Be careful what you ask for.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The Falcons beat us up pretty good in 2010.. as well as some lesser teams and the lions as well but we improved for the most part later on. That 63 yard field goal was a real back breaker. We are definitely a work in progress on D but we didn't give up the huge plays we did last year, Tramon rarely got beat which is a good sign. That 2nd CB position is a huge issue though. Now it's very doubtful davon house can come back and play his press game.

The biggest adjustment on offense is finding a way to beat man to man aggressive coverage. I seen an issue with our offense against it last year BEFORE we lost a game and now we've lost 3 of our last 5 games with bad offensive play against very similar type defensive game plans. The last play of the game where Nelson nodded to Rodgers was just dumb and played right into the 49ers hands. Gotta be more patient next game and work them underneath and work up the field.

The purpose of the west coast offense was brought in with short passing patterns to help beat these aggressive 3-4 teams.

Not impressed with the execution, nor the game plan assembled by the coaching staff and rodgers ect. I've seen the Patriots have long slow passing drives when all deep routes are taken away, sometimes you aren't going to get the 40-50 yard bombs. You can't rely on that every game.

Some of Rodgers hot throws looked eerily similar to a Brett Favre type read gone bad. Should have been picked off the 2nd time he had a chance to tie the game.

blank
porky88
12 years ago

I will agree.. they were attacking the middle of the line.. but the line wasn't dropping protection.. they were getting push against us, but rarely broke through in the middle. Normally, Rodgers handles that pressure in his face.. today not so well.. but that was also assisted by the Niners pressing the Packers.

To beat that.. you either run it effectively at them or you screen them until you get them to at least pause before pushing.. Cobb out of the backfield was as close as that got today.

Don't care if the Niners got stats or not.. the line play was not the issue today in the passing game. They picked up almost all the blitzes properly and handled pressure snap in and out. We have to become more balanced so that when we play these better team with good defensive fronts.. we can get them to respect the run/screen. We are not that now nor were we that last season.. that falls on Mike McCarthy through to the line coaches.

This team just cannot get a consistent push in the running game. That allows the defense to dictate to the offense in terms of protection and pressure. We have not resolved that yet.. that falls on MM. We have the size on the offensive line to do it.. we have guys that regress as they play for us in terms of run blocking.. that falls on our offensive line coaches.

So now we have an offense that can't sustain drives, so that puts more pressure on a defense that has to improve and become more physical themselves.. the defense kept us in the game today. They had one series where there gave up a number of big plays.. the remainder of the drives they played alright considering that they were on the field for the bulk of the day.

Offensive balance comes into play way past the offensive stat sheet... we need to improve there. So one game, looks like a repeat of 2011, just the elite defenses of the league can slow it down.

The Packers just looked at the team to beat in 2012 IMO, the most complete team there is. And they struggled but still had a chance.

That is why I think in the long run this game helps the 2012 Packers.. they have been shown again that they just aren't physical enough to hang with the big burly dogs right now.

All is not lost.. we can improve from here.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I'm not making the line out as the scapegoat. However, I firmly believe they didn‘t respond well to being punched in the mouth. Rodgers didn’t have many throwing lanes, and when he did, the wide receivers weren’t open. This was a collective butt-whipping courtesy of the San Francisco 49ers.

Also, Rodgers won‘t duplicate last year‘s level of play. Perhaps the last 25 games have spoiled us, but it's not realistic to expect him to sustain it. That's why I have higher expectations for protection. The pocket must be cleaner if teams are going to defend the Packers as the 49ers did. Yes, you can point to screens and a rushing attack, but that's not this team's identity. It won't be so long Mike McCarthy is head coach. They believe in a spread attack. You can attack San Francisco in that way, but you'll need to connect on your big plays, and keep your quarterback comfortable. The Packers did neither. Some of that is on Rodgers, though.

It’s just one game. People are overreacting to it. This might put the Packers back into hunter territory instead of everyone hunting them. No question San Francisco played up the underdog role heading into this game. This team is going to improve based on a collective of players within the system. Randall Cobb is one of these players and it looks as if he’ll play a vital role in the offense. We also have to examine Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, D.J. Smith, Jarrett Bush, and Jeron McMillan as contributors. Not one of those players will emerge as a Pro Bowl caliber player. However, together they could take baby steps forward in progression, which in turn develops the defense.

Finally, Rodgers is a notorious slow starter. Last year was the exception. He was not great early in ‘09 or ‘10. I think that’s worth pointing out, especially with a mini bye-week around the corner.
Rios39
12 years ago

I'm not making the line out as the scapegoat. However, I firmly believe they didn‘t respond well to being punched in the mouth. Rodgers didn’t have many throwing lanes, and when he did, the wide receivers weren’t open. This was a collective butt-whipping courtesy of the San Francisco 49ers.

Also, Rodgers won‘t duplicate last year‘s level of play. Perhaps the last 25 games have spoiled us, but it's not realistic to expect him to sustain it. That's why I have higher expectations for protection. The pocket must be cleaner if teams are going to defend the Packers as the 49ers did. Yes, you can point to screens and a rushing attack, but that's not this team's identity. It won't be so long Mike McCarthy is head coach. They believe in a spread attack. You can attack San Francisco in that way, but you'll need to connect on your big plays, and keep your quarterback comfortable. The Packers did neither. Some of that is on Rodgers, though.

It’s just one game. People are overreacting to it. This might put the Packers back into hunter territory instead of everyone hunting them. No question San Francisco played up the underdog role heading into this game. This team is going to improve based on a collective of players within the system. Randall Cobb is one of these players and it looks as if he’ll play a vital role in the offense. We also have to examine Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, D.J. Smith, Jarrett Bush, and Jeron McMillan as contributors. Not one of those players will emerge as a Pro Bowl caliber player. However, together they could take baby steps forward in progression, which in turn develops the defense.

Finally, Rodgers is a notorious slow starter. Last year was the exception. He was not great early in ‘09 or ‘10. I think that’s worth pointing out, especially with a mini bye-week around the corner.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

This is worth noting. We only got by by the fact that our D was very good early in 2010. But we still started out 3-3 or 4-4 in 2010 with some very slopping offensive games vs inferior teams.

blank
blueleopard
12 years ago

EDIT: Be honest. Did anyone here ACTUALLY think Rodgers was going to produce a game tying 8 point drive near the end of the game? I know I didn't.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

People are gonna hate me for saying this, but I'm on the boat that believes Rodgers is not clutch.

Yet.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
doddpower
12 years ago

People are gonna hate me for saying this, but I'm on the boat that believes Rodgers is not clutch.

Yet.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

I'm not going to hate you for saying it, but I didn't think Rodgers was going to tie the game for even a second. Perhaps I'm too much of a pessimist, though.

blueleopard
12 years ago

I'm not going to hate you for saying it, but I didn't think Rodgers was going to tie the game for even a second. Perhaps I'm too much of a pessimist, though.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I can see the Packers scoring the TD. But the two-point play? Nah.

I live in the Bay Area and get Niners games every week. They're not going to just roll over like that.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings