Felipe7777777
13 years ago

And nerd -- I take issue with your assessment of Grant's ability. I don't understand by whose authority you can make the claims about his speed, vision, etc. Just like I never understood your critiques of McCarthy's playcalling (I'd have to dig up threads from last year ... but I remember being equally dumbfounded by your analysis). Could we just be real? James Starks is an exciting prospect but your mountain sized hard-on for him...

Originally Posted by: evad04 

That part in bold literally made me "LOL" on contributing to the thread I don't see why the Pack would cut Grant (as others have stated) ESPECIALLY now with his salary being restructured making it guaranteed money, the depth is needed and Starks is no sure thing staying healthy, I can remember the game against the Giants @ Lambeau I believe it was '09? When they couldn't run the ball AT ALL until Deshawn FRIGGIN Wynn ran all over the Giants and that guy is TERRIBLE, the whole season last year it reminded me of that game alone where they couldn't find anyone to run the ball Kuhn and B-Jax were not cutting it, either way keeping a capable (on paper) 1-2 punch in the backfield is CRUCIAL IMO...

P.s: I remember the love Wynn was getting on here too that used to make me laugh because the guy was never good
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Grant runs by people and into his people. Starks runs them over. As much as Starks sounds like more fun (to watch), Starks is more likely to get hurt.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

While we are in the mood of correcting others ...
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago
I've seen Nance make one decent play his entire time in GB and that was last week. Grant makes a reasonable salary for his role on this team and is better now than Nance will likely ever be. Besides, it's not like James Starks doesn't have an injury history...8-[

As much as I like John Kuhn, I really don't want to to see him running at all on first down. Let Grant do what he does.

We are primed to repeat, and hold most the cards considering the shortened offseason has given the other teams less time to improve. Now it not the time to skimp on talent to save a few bucks.

nerdmann
13 years ago
Yeah, so they changed his money to guaranteed. That means if we cut him, we still have to pay his salary, correct? But does that mean that if some other team picks him up, we still have to pay that salary? When coaches who are still under contract get fired, they get paid throughout that contract, unless some other teams picks them up. Then the other team gets to pay them, or maybe the previous team has to pay the difference.
Bottom line is that both Starks and Green are capable of getting 1000 yards. Both rushing AND receiving. They are both locks to make the team. The roster battle is between Grant and Nance. Nance isn't as good at rushing as Grant. No one is arguing that. However, Nance can also pass protect on third down. Grant does not have that skill. Therefore, Nance might get the roster spot.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Looks like Ryan won't be leaving after all?

Ryan Grant’s reduced contract is guaranteed 

Ryan Grant’s spot on the Packers this year looks far more secure following new details about the pay cut he took which we mentioned earlier this afternoon.

PFT has confirmed a report by Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Grant’s $2.5 million salary this year is guaranteed.

There is likely offset language in the contract so that whatever Grant made elsewhere would be a credit to the Packers, but it’s hard to imagine they would release Grant now. He was also paid a $1 million roster bonus earlier this month.

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I wonder if trading Ryan Grant would be easier to do now that his salary is lowered by a million?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

I'm not buying it.

For several reasons actually.

The article puts an emphasis on the lack of attempts for Grant in the preseason. However, that seems more business than usual than anything out of the ordinary. Several teams don't work their RBs a lot in the preseason. Plus, the passing game takes priority, especially when the Packers are trying to get in rhythm for the regular season.

James Starks is also fairly injury prone. This is a guy with outstanding talent, but he runs high and he's been hurt more than healthy with the Packers. Are the Packers really going to risk their running game on Starks after four postseason games and one preseason game? By the way, he injured himself in the latter.

Another factor people overlook is GB could just keep four RBs if they feel that highly about Nance. They're not going to keep three FBs, so that opens up a roster spot somewhere. My guess is they keep three QBs, but perhaps they cut down on OL, which is a distinct possibility based on the quality of play we've seen in the preseason.

Grant will make the team.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Yep I am not buying the idea that GB will cut Grant because of Nance.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
For what it's worth: They showed Aaron Rodgers on Channel 5 news tonight, and he said that Dmitri Nance has had an "incredible camp." So it wasn't just the Cardinals game, apparently. That's surprising, because I hadn't been hearing anything about him in the training camp reports.
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago
TT like Nance. They wanted to sign him last year when they signed Shields and Zombo, but he went with another team. Then he became available during the season, so Ted Thompson nabbed him. Nance probably knows that "third down guy" is his best chance to make the team. Think he's been studying pass pro all offseason?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
zombieslayer
13 years ago

While we are in the mood of correcting others ...

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Whatever.

Year GS Att Yds Ave TDs
2007 7 188 956 5.1 8
2008 14 312 1203 3.9 4
2009 16 282 1253 4.4 11

He's a pretty good RB. I don't get the Grant hate on this board.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷