Yerko
13 years ago

I'm just going to go along with what Uncle Ted decides. I enjoy riling everyone up, cause let's face it, we've had a boring off season.

I use to call him TNS Grant - tiny nut syndrome - cause he could never break a tackle and always went down like a $2 hooker. Can't argue with 1,200 yards though; but we're now 2 years removed from that.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Yeah, I was riled up via Twitter before I came into here just because I never thought Silverstein would write/think of something like this with so little to back it up. Tiny nut syndrome...amazing and funny.

I read one of Jersey Al's postings yesterday and he talked about people being on the 🇹🇹 wagon now because his way worked and the Packers won it all. It was a very interesting piece overall and this makes me think about what he wrote.

Edit- For anyone who cares, a pretty long, but enjoyable read from Jersey Al.

Do We All Think Like Ted Thompson Now? 
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago
Paycut, guarantees for Grant 

By Bob McGinn

Running back Ryan Grant probably strengthened his chances of making the final roster of the Green Bay Packers by accepting a $1 million reduction in his base salary this season in exchange for a guaranteed contract.

On Aug. 9, the Packers and Alan Herman, the agent for Grant, agreed to a restructuring in which Grant's base salary was reduced from $3.5 million to $2.5 million. His cap salary this year decreased from $4.797 million to $3.797 million, which gives the Packers an extra $1 million of room to resign veterans such as Josh Sitton and Jermichael Finley.

However, Grant's new base salary of $2.5 million was fully guaranteed against both skill and injury. His previous base of $3.5 million was not guaranteed.

Thus, if the Packers were to cut Grant on the final roster reduction Sept. 3, they now would have to pay him the $2.5 million. Before the restructuring, they wouldn't have had to pay him the $3.5 million if he was cut before the start of the regular season.

No other changes were made to the final year of the four-year, $18 million contract that Grant signed in August 2008.

Earlier this month, Grant was paid a roster bonus of $1 million paid on the 15th day of the NFL year. He can earn another $750,00 in roster bonuses by being active for every game.

Last link, promise. Still don't think the salary would have anything to do with Grant securing a roster spot for this season.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
All that means to me is the team Grant is being traded to wanted him to have a lower salary.

But I suppose for the Nostalgia gang - we'll keep Driver and Grant another year and let some young talented bucks go. We should start keeping a log of our TC cuts that immediately find their way on to another roster.

Hell, Colledge and Spitz got contracts and we through them out like garbage.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

All that means to me is the team Grant is being traded to wanted him to have a lower salary.

But I suppose for the Nostalgia gang - we'll keep Driver and Grant another year and let some young talented bucks go. We should start keeping a log of our TC cuts that immediately find their way on to another roster.

Hell, Colledge and Spitz got contracts and we through them out like garbage.

I'm not sure if it's even worth replying to you, since you've admitted that you just like to stir things up, but here's a question: Do you really think Dimitri Nance is any good? Last week he showed a little flash for the first time since he came to Green Bay, but we've heard very little about him in practice.

Here's another question: Do you think Driver and Grant are similar in quality to Colledge and Spitz?

And one more: Do you think Ted should've gotten rid of Chad Clifton before last season?

I know nostalgia when I see it. Those are the people who want old players to come back, or who want to keep players who are clearly replaceable (e.g., Barnett vs. Bishop). But most of us want the Packers to win games. We like it that the Packers are a young team, but veterans do have a place. I think you've become an extremist on this issue.

At any rate, Bob McGinn's news of the contract restructuring pretty much settles the issue anyway: Grant is staying. You don't restructure a guy's contract to guarantee his salary and then turn around and cut him so that you lose the money.
blank
coltonja
13 years ago

True. That is why Ted Thompson kept Al Harris and Kampman and Tauscher... Wait a minute.

Seriously though, I know you were joking a little bit, but, come on, the idea of Ted Thompson keeping Driver and Grant around because of their past loyalty/talent compared to a young, talented player is ridiculous. And who is the talented player at RB? Nance? I think prior posters did a great job breaking down that idea(he's facing backups/roster cut players and how he looked last year). I see DD with us another year, but I can't wait to see Cobb this year. So, I don't disagree there.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I'm not sure if it's even worth replying to you, since you've admitted that you just like to stir things up, but here's a question: Do you really think Dimitri Nance is any good? Last week he showed a little flash for the first time since he came to Green Bay, but we've heard very little about him in practice.

Here's another question: Do you think Driver and Grant are similar in quality to Colledge and Spitz?

And one more: Do you think Ted should've gotten rid of Chad Clifton before last season?

I know nostalgia when I see it. Those are the people who want old players to come back, or who want to keep players who are clearly replaceable (e.g., Barnett vs. Bishop). But most of us want the Packers to win games. We like it that the Packers are a young team, but veterans do have a place. I think you've become an extremist on this issue.

At any rate, Bob McGinn's news of the contract restructuring pretty much settles the issue anyway: Grant is staying. You don't restructure a guy's contract to guarantee his salary and then turn around and cut him so that you lose the money.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I'm with Greg here. I think Veterans should make the team until someone proves beyond reasonable doubt that they're better. I want to win titles.

Woodson's getting up there in age but he led the team in solo tackles last year and is still our best tackler. Cliffy's still our best T and LT is arguably the 2nd most important position on the team. Driver is still dependable and will probably get us 550 yards and 5 TDs.

Now Grant, if he's 100%, is our only option to get 1200 yards rushing. I don't see Starks playing 19 games this season. I see Grant boring fans but meanwhile, getting a 4.4 average, 1200 yards, and 8 TDs. His running isn't pretty. But it's consistent.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
13 years ago
Green Bay will once again field one of the youngest teams in football ... so I fail to understand the nostalgia argument. I also have a difficult time grouping a 28 year old running back -- one who is in excellent shape and may even be in a better place physically for not toting the rock 275 times last year -- with unproductive geezers.

And nerd -- I take issue with your assessment of Grant's ability. I don't understand by whose authority you can make the claims about his speed, vision, etc. Just like I never understood your critiques of McCarthy's playcalling (I'd have to dig up threads from last year ... but I remember being equally dumbfounded by your analysis). Could we just be real? James Starks is an exciting prospect but your mountain sized hard-on for him is well known around these parts.

Final thought: I don't mean to claim a moral majority (hell, I just insulted another forum member for ... well ... expressing his opinion) but isn't it a bit morally perverse to wish that we run Grant's body into the ground for one more season and then dump him? I had a nice good laugh at that. That's some dark shit ... LOL
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
buckeyepackfan
13 years ago
THE BEST THREAD YET THIS SEASON!!!!!!!

Lord, can we please get through these next 2 weeks injury free, then let the guys in charge set the roster.

Please may that roster include Ryan Grant, I need to laugh throughout the long weeks between games, reading how RG cannot hit a hole, cannot break a tackle, and cannot run to daylight, it just brings smiles to my face.

Please remind those who are so anxious to rid The Packers of Mr. Grant, of the absolute inability to run the ball without him in 2010.

Thank you Lord for James Starks, he showed special talent after getting healthy and being taught how to practice, without him The Superbowl magic may not have happened.
Please keep him healthy this year as I look foward to a 1-2 punch with Ryan in 2011 and James taking over in 2012.

Lord, there is a whole lot of talent on this roster at present time, cuts will be hard, please give Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy knowledge and stength to make the hard cuts that are ahead. May they keep the proven talent on the active roster and hold on to as many as possible of the others on the PS.

One more thing Lord......I don't ask for much, whatever Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have decided , I have put my trust in them(although you did test me last year with the Al Harris deal), sorry...just one more thing I ask.......................................

PLEASE MAKE SURE JARRET BUSH MAKES THE FINAL CUTS AND STAYS HEALTHY!!!!!! Without him some on this forum would not have a "Whipping Boy" on the defensive side of the ball and my mid-week giggles and laughs would be cut in half this year.

Thank You for listening
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Greg C.
13 years ago

I'm with Greg here. I think Veterans should make the team until someone proves beyond reasonable doubt that they're better. I want to win titles.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Thanks for agreeing with me (I wish everybody did!) but my standards for keeping young guys are even lower than yours. Rather than having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they're better than the veterans, I'm in favor of keeping them if they look like they are probably going to be just about as good as the veterans. I don't feel that way about Nance vs. Grant. Not even close.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Thanks for agreeing with me (I wish everybody did!) but my standards for keeping young guys are even lower than yours. Rather than having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they're better than the veterans, I'm in favor of keeping them if they look like they are probably going to be just about as good as the veterans. I don't feel that way about Nance vs. Grant. Not even close.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

OK. I said that wrong. Completely wrong.

Keep the young guys that are prospects. However, take the starting jobs away from Veterans when the young guys prove beyond reasonable doubt that they're better.

There. Corrected.

Agreed with Buckeye - we need to see who's injury free before making any decisions. Grant besides that one injury last year has been very healthy for us. And although I said Starks might not last the season, I sincerely hope he does as he's like a hammer. He runs people over. I like that.

Grant runs by people. Starks runs them over. As much as Starks sounds like more fun (to watch), Starks is more likely to get hurt.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷