Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/03/technology-replacing-personal-interactions-at-what-cost/?hpt=T2 

[img_r]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/01/03/art.bberry.jpg[/img_r]"The year we stopped talking to one another."

That's what USA Today dubs 2010, in light of the unprecedented use of technology.

We are awash in technology. It's estimated that 93% of Americans now use cell phones or wireless devices. And one-third of those people are using so-called smartphones, which means the users can browse the Web and check e-mail on their phones.

According to an industry trade group, from June 2009 to June 2010, cell phone subscribers sent 1.8 trillion text messages. That was up 33% from the year before.

In other words, most of us spend our days walking around with our noses buried in our cell phones, BlackBerrys, iPhones, etc.

And while we're doing that, we're tuning out the people who are actually in the same room as us. We seem to have long ago crossed the line as to where doing this stuff is appropriate - people take calls while they're out to dinner, text or check e-mail while on a date, you name it.

Some experts say it's time to take a step back and reassess. They're reminding people that technology can be turned off, and that it's important to connect with people in person. They worry that kids won't know what it's like to share a story or actually look someone in the eyes. And that's sad.

But others point out the benefits of all this technology - staying in touch with friends and family, efficiently using time once spent doing nothing and being able to check in from anywhere.

Heres my question to you: At what cost has technology replaced personal interactions?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 6pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where youre writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

But others point out the benefits of all this technology - staying in touch with friends and family, efficiently using time once spent doing nothing and being able to check in from anywhere.

Being able to spend time doing nothing is very important, we don't need to occupy every last second of our lives with something "productive". While spending time with my fiance's extended family this Christmas, I was taken aback at three people sitting around texting while gifts were being opened. Am I officially old now that I can't identify with teenagers anymore? I bury my face in my computer plenty, but I don't carry it everywhere I go. I don't have a smartphone, and if I get a call in a restaurant I check to see who it is, and if it's important I step outside as to not annoy others.

It's also strange because much of my social interaction late high school, and during college was over IM and message boards on the internet. I met my fiance online and we carried out a relationship for a year that way, I knew her two years prior to that online as well. I DO use technology to socialize. I still don't interact that much socially with people, but the idea of turning to a computer when you have family around on a holiday is just foreign to me.
4PackGirl
13 years ago
took the boys to toys r us yesterday to use their gift cards from christmas. i was astounded by the number of mom's who were on their phones completely ignoring their kids. to me, being at toys r us with the kids is all about fun & being together...not ignoring them.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

took the boys to toys r us yesterday to use their gift cards from christmas. i was astounded by the number of mom's who were on their phones completely ignoring their kids. to me, being at toys r us with the kids is all about fun & being together...not ignoring them.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

+1. You definitely got the point of this article.

What really bothers me about cell phones is the person you can't see connected to you by a freaking satellite is more important than the person right in front of your face.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It's not just the parents, 4PackGirl. Hardly a day goes by I don't see teens and even preteens immersed in their damn cell phones and ignoring their parents (I mean, 8-year-olds with cell phones . . . seriously?). Reason enough for me to decide that my kids aren't getting phones until they can pay for them themselves.

It amazes me when I go to bars or clubs to see entire tables of people not talking or dancing but texting. If you ask them what's up, the standard answer is, "We're waiting." Even if it's almost bar time, that's still the answer. "We're waiting." Waiting for what, nobody knows, because they're all immersed in their electronic universe instead of interacting with each other.

It astounds me even more to watch boyfriends and girlfriends -- husbands and wives! -- out on dates, completely ignoring each other. The other day, I walked up to a pair of girls in my university's coffee shop, who were sitting at a table, looking bored and texting, and I said, "This is exactly the problem I have with our modern culture. Here we have two friends who instead of talking to each other are texting other people!" Instead of giving me guff, as I expected, they laughed and admitted I was right.

That's what puzzles me about this modern phenomenon. Everyone I've brought it up with complains about it and deplores out isolating it is and how lonely they feel, yet everyone seems to keep doing it anyway. I've actually had girls admit to me that when they're walking down the sidewalk chattering on their phones, there's often no one on the other end -- they're just doing it so it looks like they have a social life and no one thinks they're uncool. (Because, you know, it would be humiliating to turn to the person walking next to you and say something like, um, "Hi, what's your name?")

Well, I've stopped putting up with it. If I'm hanging out time someone and they spend any significant amount of time on their cell phone instead of talking to me, I don't invite them back.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
9 times out of 10, I prefer text method of communication than talking over the phone.

More so, I'd prefer face to face over both of those options.

Lydia always has her phone in her hand and open, ready to text. Pisses me off. Absolutely pisses me off. You're in the living room, with family, put your damn phone away.

She learned the hard way my little rule of no phones at the table while eating. Oh funny little story. Lydia had a friend come out to eat with us at HuHot. She put her phone away right away and Lydia asked why. Her friend said "because theres no way your dad will let me text while eating". Either she knows I'm a jerk or Lydia warned her. Either way, it was funny seeing her grab her phone to check it, then look at me and quickly pocket it.

I thought, damn, only my kids could respect me like that.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

(I mean, 8-year-olds with cell phones . . . seriously?). Reason enough for me to decide that my kids aren't getting phones until they can pay for them themselves.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Keiana (9 years old) has a phone. It has 60 minutes on it, restricted to calling me, her mom, grandma and uncle.

I don't see a problem with that.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Keiana (9 years old) has a phone. It has 60 minutes on it, restricted to calling me, her mom, grandma and uncle.

I don't see a problem with that.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Nor do I, because you the parent have maintained control of it. I know some parents have given their kids cell phones that are restricted to calling home and 9-1-1. I have no problem with that either. But there are plenty of kids without those restrictions, a lot of whom have unlimited texting plans and minutes. That's an entirely different beast.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Art imitating the trends of life?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
13 years ago

It's not just the parents, 4PackGirl. Hardly a day goes by I don't see teens and even preteens immersed in their damn cell phones and ignoring their parents (I mean, 8-year-olds with cell phones . . . seriously?). Reason enough for me to decide that my kids aren't getting phones until they can pay for them themselves.

It amazes me when I go to bars or clubs to see entire tables of people not talking or dancing but texting. If you ask them what's up, the standard answer is, "We're waiting." Even if it's almost bar time, that's still the answer. "We're waiting." Waiting for what, nobody knows, because they're all immersed in their electronic universe instead of interacting with each other.

It astounds me even more to watch boyfriends and girlfriends -- husbands and wives! -- out on dates, completely ignoring each other. The other day, I walked up to a pair of girls in my university's coffee shop, who were sitting at a table, looking bored and texting, and I said, "This is exactly the problem I have with our modern culture. Here we have two friends who instead of talking to each other are texting other people!" Instead of giving me guff, as I expected, they laughed and admitted I was right.

That's what puzzles me about this modern phenomenon. Everyone I've brought it up with complains about it and deplores out isolating it is and how lonely they feel, yet everyone seems to keep doing it anyway. I've actually had girls admit to me that when they're walking down the sidewalk chattering on their phones, there's often no one on the other end -- they're just doing it so it looks like they have a social life and no one thinks they're uncool. (Because, you know, it would be humiliating to turn to the person walking next to you and say something like, um, "Hi, what's your name?")

Well, I've stopped putting up with it. If I'm hanging out time someone and they spend any significant amount of time on their cell phone instead of talking to me, I don't invite them back.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I finally gave in and got a cell phone a few years back. I sort of needed it for job search as I haven't had a full-time job since '09.

Anyways, if I like the people I'm with, I turn the damn thing off. I don't want to hear beeps and buzzing when I'm trying to have a conversation (or working on getting them nekkid).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (9h) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (12h) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.