Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

WASHINGTON Astronomers have finally found a place outside our solar system where there's a firm place to stand if only it weren't so broiling hot.[img_r]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090916/capt.7689489a4cc445528672118059ffe2da.rocky_planet_ny107.jpg[/img_r]

As scientists search the skies for life elsewhere, they have found more than 300 planets outside our solar system. But they all have been gas balls or can't be proven to be solid. Now a team of European astronomers has confirmed the first rocky extrasolar planet.

Scientists have long figured that if life begins on a planet, it needs a solid surface to rest on, so finding one elsewhere is a big deal.

"We basically live on a rock ourselves," said co-discoverer Artie Hatzes, director of the Thuringer observatory in Germany. "It's as close to something like the Earth that we've found so far. It's just a little too close to its sun."

So close that its surface temperature is more than 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit, too toasty to sustain life. It circles its star in just 20 hours, zipping around at 466,000 mph. By comparison, Mercury, the planet nearest our sun, completes its solar orbit in 88 days.

"It's hot, they're calling it the lava planet," Hatzes said.

This is a major discovery in the field of trying to find life elsewhere in the universe, said outside expert Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution. It was the buzz of a conference on finding an Earth-like planet outside our solar system, held in Barcelona, Spain, where the discovery was presented Wednesday morning. The find is also being published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

The planet is called Corot-7b. It was first discovered earlier this year. European scientists then watched it dozens of times to measure its density to prove that it is rocky like Earth. It's in our general neighborhood, circling a star in the winter sky about 500 light-years away. Each light-year is about 6 trillion miles.

Four planets in our solar system are rocky: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.

In addition, the planet is about as close to Earth in size as any other planet found outside our solar system. Its radius is only one-and-a-half times bigger than Earth's and it has a mass about five times the Earth's.

Now that another rocky planet has been found so close to its own star, it gives scientists more confidence that they'll find more Earth-like planets farther away, where the conditions could be more favorable to life, Boss said.

"The evidence is becoming overwhelming that we live in a crowded universe," Boss said.

uh-oh
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
They find one rocky planet and now the evidence is overwhelming. This is why SETI is not and probably never will be regarded as conventional science. They play by an entirely different set of evidentiary rules.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
oh give me a damn break.... the quote was "The evidence is becoming overwhelming that we live in a crowded universe" ... BECOMING overwhelming not IS overwhelming.

I bet you're a bitch to watch movies with huh?

"so he can stop a speeding train, run faster than a bullet, but some green rock cripples him? that's so not possible!"

lol
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
It was only a matter of time until a rocky extrasolar planet was found.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
Since no one actually reads what I throw out here anyway (see drake equation, xenobiology, astrobiology, etc. in that "other thread"- or not, lol)

I'll also share a personal pet peeve. Why is it that every time the aliens land they are able to walk on our surface just as we do? The odds suck for that being able to occur. Have the UFO nuts and the sci-fi fiction writers not ever heard of a guy named Newton? Or (more better, I like that one--shoutout to Zero) Einstein, and the laws of relativity?

They may come, but don't bet on 'em "stickin'" - so to speak. My bet is they either get crushed into the earth like a Bears quarterback or go floatin' off like the imagination of a guy on LSD...

Einstein's General Relativity 

The odds favor life elsewhere...overwhelmingly, imo

...And some pretty darn smart folk STILL think that the flick in the video is the most important shutter ever clicked in the history of mankind...

That is some deep shit, which is appropriate, when you consider who/what took the flick.

[youtube]fgg2tpUVbXQ[/youtube]

Many will not invest 6:13 watching and understanding what is being said, but they will certainly invest equal or more arguing it...such is our nature.

Further, I have joked repeatedly about space and time. As soon as they figure out a way to start securing a practical answer to that one, so many of the other questions will be answerable. Probably will not happen, as we are still nuke adolescents, and will have blown ourselves up in some geopolitical tantrum by one or more of the many parties that could be involved in the meantime.... Just hope I'm around for that one. What a way to go, I say. :thumbleft:
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
By the way, under what conditions can a planet that runs at 3600 degrees Fahrenheit be considered solid? Few minerals of which I'm aware have melting points higher than that; most are in the 1700-2500 degree range. I would think this planet would be more of a molten planet.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
And if you really want to get floored, do a little research on a local gal you got rattling around Wisconsin. Her name is Lynn Margulis. Any U of W alumni need not look far. Check out your current edition of "On Wisconsin".

She is exploding neo-Dawinism and it's theories, is accepted as thoroughly mainstream, and rebels against the sheer arrogance of man as perceiving itself as the highest order on this planet, much less someone else's.

These things are not terribly comfortable to contemplate for many, but they need to be considered by thinking people. I don't have a link, sorry...

Interesting former husband..this gal.

Carl Sagan

No shit.
TheEngineer
14 years ago

By the way, under what conditions can a planet that runs at 3600 degrees Fahrenheit be considered solid? Few minerals of which I'm aware have melting points higher than that; most are in the 1700-2500 degree range. I would think this planet would be more of a molten planet.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

At that distance, I'm betting the planet is tidally locked to the sun. Furthermore, any atmosphere should be completely obliterated by the solar flares and solar wind at that distance. Given that the above two hypotheses are correct, then the dark side of the planet, away from sun, should be significantly cooler than the surface facing the sun. And this the surface they're using for spectrography, or whatever method used to ascertain whether it's a rocky or gassy planet.

But hey, maybe it is a fully molten, dense planet with a rocky core.

Probably another few years till we know for certain.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

And if you really want to get floored, do a little research on a local gal you got rattling around Wisconsin. Her name is Lynn Margulis. Any U of W alumni need not look far. Check out your current edition of "On Wisconsin".

She is exploding neo-Dawinism and it's theories, is accepted as thoroughly mainstream, and rebels against the sheer arrogance of man as perceiving itself as the highest order on this planet, much less someone else's.

These things are not terribly comfortable to contemplate for many, but they need to be considered by thinking people. I don't have a link, sorry...

Carl Sagan

No shit.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Your link... and to prove some actually read your posts. ;)

http://www.uwalumni.com/home/alumniandfriends/onwisconsin/archives/fall2009/fall09_evolution.aspx 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

Carl Sagan

No shit.

"pack93z" wrote:

Your link... and to prove some actually read your posts. ;)

http://www.uwalumni.com/home/alumniandfriends/onwisconsin/archives/fall2009/fall09_evolution.aspx 

"dfosterf" wrote:

Now I'm floored.

+1

Man, you and me gotta get to a bar someday, lol
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.