beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Last year, when I was trying to figure out LaFleur's system and attempting to figure how our current players fit into it, I had some struggles on how all the players fit (especially Graham), but after this draft, it's starting to make prefect sense how the pieces fit.

In this system, they usually have
~ Outside WRs that either are quick and great route runners, or a speed demon, and preferably willing to block.
~ Great route running large slot receiver (WR or TE), that can run all the routes over the middle and threaten the seam, as well as block well.
~ A versatility blocker than can be used in multiple, also slip out as surprises and make big plays.
~ A quick power RB, that's also effective as a receiver in simply routes when they can get a LB matched up one on one.
And with this, they usually have guys that can switch role from snap to snap without missing a beat

While, they still don't really have much depth, the starting line up for the future looks like it could be decent (FYI: Guys with only one year left on their contracts, Aaron Jones and Funchess, I'm putting in the second positions, as I'm more looking long term (also cause I don't fully know how they're going to use Funchess)

WR1: Adams / MVS / Kumerow
WR2: Lazzard / Funchess / MVS
Slot: Sternberger / Funchess / Deguara
Blocker: Deguara / Lewis / Sternberger
Power RB: Dillion / Jones / Williams

Honestly, doing it this year, it seem to make a lot more sense than any time I tried to do it with Graham as he was only stuck in the slot. While going forward, Sternberger and Deguara can basically be used in any and all ways, giving them great versatility, and Adams has played in the slot at times as well. And while I haven't seen Lazzard play from the slot often, they have had him there when they needed a key extra block in the slot role.

This is the most versatile they're been at Slot/Blocker positions in a long time. And Sternberger and Deguara can both also play H-back, FB, inline TE, slot WR and everywhere is very nice. I still think they need another guy like that for depth, but they need depth everywhere. Though they did improve their depth along the interior of the OL very nicely.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
4 years ago
Agree with your assessment. The McVay type offense follows this philosophy. The versatility has the benefit to allow for the ability to run alot of plays from the same formation before the snap. Unfortunate how shallow the Rams looked in the Super Bowl. Not sure if that game shows the blueprint against this type of offense.

Also it seems challenging to develop your players to be elite in multiple skill sets in the offense. Bad execution can result if they can't accomplish this.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
nerdmann
4 years ago
I think they're going to run it more too.

They're not gonna keep letting Aaron change the plays all the time. And when it's Love's turn, he will be able to lean on the ground game to help him out.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Agree with your assessment. The McVay type offense follows this philosophy. The versatility has the benefit to allow for the ability to run alot of plays from the same formation before the snap. Unfortunate how shallow the Rams looked in the Super Bowl. Not sure if that game shows the blueprint against this type of offense.

Also it seems challenging to develop your players to be elite in multiple skill sets in the offense. Bad execution can result if they can't accomplish this.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Yeah, while they were all with the Redskins, Shanahan, McVay and LaFelur all sorta got the same idea of how to best used this system and they all do that. In recent years they've been to 3 Super Bowls (Falcons, Rams and 49ers and currently 0-3)... I think the Rams struggles had more to do with everything they did was based on Todd Gurley being a super major threat, and he got injured and was no longer that threat.

But this scheme quite literally makes the RB position extremely important, as basically it sets up the passing game for play actions and taking pressure off the passing game. Without that RB threat, this offense can be in trouble.

I think they're going to run it more too.

They're not gonna keep letting Aaron change the plays all the time. And when it's Love's turn, he will be able to lean on the ground game to help him out.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah... I think it's very doubtful that you're correct.... as I believe they said, it was hard at times to run no huddle or audible because they didn't have the versatile pieces to do that, plus didn't have the experience in the system for the team to do it.

I actually think Rodgers is likely to have more freedom now, with more versatile players.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
4 years ago

In recent years they've been to 3 Super Bowls (Falcons, Rams and 49ers and currently 0-3)... I think the Rams struggles had more to do with everything they did was based on Todd Gurley being a super major threat, and he got injured and was no longer that threat.

Originally Posted by: beast 

What's funny is that they are 0-3 and if they probably stay in their system they are at least 2-1. Falcons and 49ers stopped running the ball and stopped burning clock which I think is key.

I am excited to see what this new offense will finally look like. I really like the idea of controlling time of possession. Helping our D by not relying on the big play.
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

They're not gonna keep letting Aaron change the plays all the time.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I couldn't agree more, though I think he will have numerous options within the formations called.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
good post beast. I have been thinking of saying something all afternoon but you were much more eloquent.

It's hard to watch the team move on from the McCarthy system that we grew accustomed to to something new. There won't be as many 3 WR formations. More 2 RBs and 2 TEs.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

good post beast. I have been thinking of saying something all afternoon but you were much more eloquent.

It's hard to watch the team move on from the McCarthy system that we grew accustomed to to something new. There won't be as many 3 WR formations. More 2 RBs and 2 TEs.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

When you have a 2 RB's and 2 TE's scheme you should draft more WR's.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Observations from some of our brightest posters (I will not take the time for attribution) compiled herein. Within the MLF scheme, we are taking the Titans/49er approach to team building/game planning. Ergo:[list]
  • we have collectively misunderstood roster desires of MLF
  • we have collectively undervalued the ability of wide outs/slots to block.[*]we have undervalued the desire to pound the ball, control the clock, and keep the defense off the field.[*]we are no longer a McCarthy style team.[*]We want a flexible roster especially in the passing game where RBs and TEs are primary target esp in play action.[*]We have over-valued burners outside.[/list]I am not saying our approach is right or wrong. It will be interesting to watch the transition.
  • We need to hope for low scoring, high time of possession games.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    TheKanataThrilla
    4 years ago
    How many WRs do we keep on the active roster next season? 5?
    Fan Shout
    Martha Careful (2h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (5h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (6h) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (9h) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (9h) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (9h) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
    beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
    beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
    beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
    Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
    beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
    dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
    beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.