Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
I have heard that GB's new HC would be bringing a fresh offensive philosophy to the Packers. Yet I could not get a clear vision of this new system until now. I found this ESPN article that looked into the McVey/Shanahan offensive system that Coach LaFleur will be installing. I would not even consider placing this or any other article before this forum unless I felt that it was important.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/32694/inside-the-dynamic-plays-and-schemes-built-by-shanahan-and-mcvay 

I invite all to post your comments, opinions, thoughts, etc. Thank You .
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago
It's very nice to see the plan designs on paper, though those look like a lot of two routes, where I'm pretty sure they'll have some with more routes too.

But seems like they all have 2WRs, 1TE, 1RB and a flexible on the last position depending on the roster.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago

It's very nice to see the plan designs on paper, though those look like a lot of two routes, where I'm pretty sure they'll have some with more routes too.

But seems like they all have 2WRs, 1TE, 1RB and a flexible on the last position depending on the roster.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Perhaps you have overlooked the core principle of the new system that LaFleur will be implementing. 95% of the offensive plays will be run from the same set. This does not tip off the opposing defense and allows the QB to change the play, at the line, if he sees an advantage or because the play is doomed to fail. Seeing the same offensive set each time places a special advantage with the offense.
EX: The Bears have shown a tendency to drop into a certain pass coverage when a team has a 2nd and 6 to 8 yards to go when the ball is located between the 40 yard lines. Knowing this the offense can target the weakness in the expected defense without tipping off the play.

You will see the Rams run this system on Sunday against the Saints. The loss of slot receiver Cooper Kupp, while a bad thing, will be filled by another. It should also be remembered that the Rams Defense, being completely separate from the offense, must rely on a system of it's own. Therefor while both the Rams/Saints will field very good offenses, it will be the stronger play of Drew Brees that will edge the Saints past the Rams (IMO).

The point however is that GB's new offensive system will look very much like the Rams. The more observant among us will pay close attention with an eye as to how GB's players will look when this system is put in place there. Adjustments will naturally need to be made to take advantage of player skills and strengths.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Perhaps you have overlooked the core principle of the new system that LaFleur will be implementing.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Nope, you just misunderstood what I was trying to say...

But it's extremely ironic that you just talked down to me about overlooking the scheme, when just 9 hours ago you were complaining about us looking at potential FAs without knowing the scheme... so congratulations, you learned the scheme in 9 hours!

You know that or you were hypocritical complaining to me both ways...

While I agree that knowing who the FAs are is important, if you are unaware of the system that is looking to find FAs that will fit it is another. For GB I'm mainly referring to the new offensive system that HC LaFleur will be installing. It will place more emphasis in some areas and less in others. That said, the player personal will help to determine GB's new look as it is not based upon a rigid set of well known plays that are very predictable. The McVey/Shanahan derived system basically operates from the same formation sets, but is highly unpredictable as most of the plays start out looking the same until the play begins. Defenses can't read any tendencies from the offense that tip them off to what is coming their way.

I posted another thread that better explains LaFleur's offensive system, but only he and his offensive staff really know how/and with who they will remake GB's offense. The GB defense is a completely separate issue moving forward and FAs most likely will play an important role as Coach Pettine enters his second season with the team. I see need with an Edge Rusher, Safety, and Linebacker. Those weaknesses must also be high on the GM's list as well.

Perhaps you have overlooked the core principle of the new system that LaFleur will be implementing. 95% of the offensive plays will be run from the same set. This does not tip off the opposing defense and allows the QB to change the play, at the line, if he sees an advantage or because the play is doomed to fail. Seeing the same offensive set each time places a special advantage with the offense.
EX: The Bears have shown a tendency to drop into a certain pass coverage when a team has a 2nd and 6 to 8 yards to go when the ball is located between the 40 yard lines. Knowing this the offense can target the weakness in the expected defense without tipping off the play.

You will see the Rams run this system on Sunday against the Saints. The loss of slot receiver Cooper Kupp, while a bad thing, will be filled by another. It should also be remembered that the Rams Defense, being completely separate from the offense, must rely on a system of it's own. Therefor while both the Rams/Saints will field very good offenses, it will be the stronger play of Drew Brees that will edge the Saints past the Rams (IMO).

The point however is that GB's new offensive system will look very much like the Rams. The more observant among us will pay close attention with an eye as to how GB's players will look when this system is put in place there. Adjustments will naturally need to be made to take advantage of player skills and strengths.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Whoa whoa beast. If you call Smokey a hypocrite he will leave the chat room as soon as you arrive. I don't know if you consider that a good thing or a bad thing but I figure you should be warned. I wish I would have learned that trick sooner.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Me thinks there's a lot of personal views attacking going on around here lately.

Whatever happened to give you're opinion, agree or disagree with othet posters then moving on?
As far as Lefluers philosophy, I hope he comes out of training camp having everyone guessing what the offense and defense philosophoes are.

This is the time of misinformation!

Something else I hope this regime is as good or better than the last!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
5 years ago

Whoa whoa beast. If you call Smokey a hypocrite he will leave the chat room as soon as you arrive. I don't know if you consider that a good thing or a bad thing but I figure you should be warned. I wish I would have learned that trick sooner.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

General I really like Smokey and his spirit... I just don't like it when I feel he is trying to talk down to me... such as

if you are unaware of the system

Perhaps you have overlooked

and we got some negative history over this and talking about scheme (3-4 DL thou but still).

I just found it silly that I basically tried to say what he said.... and he tried to correct me.

the player personal will help to determine GB's new look

These are Smokey's words, but it's the same as I was trying to say, Packers personal will help to determine the flexible position, if it's 3 WRs, 2 TEs or whatever they choose.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Boys, let's be nice.

I like the fact that we are trying to scheme guys open as receivers running fast, quick breaking routes.

I also hope that we change things up and not allow things to get stale.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
gbguy20
5 years ago
Thanks for the article.
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
It is true that I did not understand about HC LaFleur's offensive philosophy, but then I found the ESPN article that explained it to me. Rather than keep it to myself, I decided that it was important enough to open this thread to share it. Knowledge afterall is the foundation of understanding. So how can one say just what players GB's offense should pursue without knowing about how it will operate.

Ex: LaFleur's offensive sys. will depend upon a TE/TEs that can block well. Jimmy Graham does not block well and may be traded to open up space for a TE/TEs that do block well (and catch too). My newly acquired understanding of GB's new offensive sys. has allowed me to feel confident about this.

Some forum members should learn the difference between debating an issue and a personal attack. Stating a point of view based on supporting evidence is the whole idea behind making a case for one's beliefs. Vulgar language, uncontrolled adolescent behavior, and trying to bully others is not why I enjoy this forum, so when it is displayed, I choose to not support it. Not displaying the post of known troublemakers is a first step to not allowing them to bother you with their juvenile remarks. Exiting a Chat room when they enter does not allow for the escalation of petty schoolyard postering. Others in the past have not learned how to act within a forums rules and some are not around anymore.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-fr...lt-by-shanahan-and-mcvay 

Again, I strongly recommend reading this article. 😎

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.