zombieslayer
12 years ago

I'm very well aware of this. Your guys had decent depth, but also had a pretty damn good system in place (finally) that gave your CBs leverage (multiple fast pass rushers).

Originally Posted by: Formo 

For the record, I'm not rubbing this in. I'm saying this as an explanation of why we will beat you guys.

You got us beat in RB and I love your MLB. I'm also a big fan of Percy Harvin, but he's the only WR on your team I like. I don't like Berrian at all. He's a one trick pony and had absolutely no chemistry with Favre.

A couple points:
1. Expensive liquor. I can't speak for $400 bottles and what they might offer. I can say that there can be a major difference between:
a. Gin that goes over $50/bottle (e.g. Old Raj 55%) and that which goes under.
b. Cognac/Armagnac that goes over $75/bottle (e.g., Martell Cordon Bleu) and that which goes under.
c. Whisky (the single-malt Scots kind, no "e") that goes over $100 instead of under it.
d. Port (okay, technically not liquor) that goes over $150 (e.g.,Grahams 40 year tawny) and that which doesn't.

2. Food.
a. I think people are operating under the belief that "buying protein online" gets you nothing more than "Omaha steak" quality. That simply isn't the case. If you know where to look (and are willing to make some expensive mistakes along the way), the high-end options are in fact more than a "step above". Fresh OR frozen sometimes.
b. I've never had a Wagyu steak. (And I expect I'll never have true Japanese Kobe.) I'm guessing, however, that not just the $120/lb Wagyu ribeye that Lobel's sells, but the $40/lb dry-aged one (both of which are going to be delivered fresh, never frozen, by the way) are going to be a far different taste than any steak most of us have access to in our grocery stores and butcher shops.
c. I've paid bucks for Secreto Iberico de Bellotta (a fancy Portuguese name for a special cut of pork skirt steak of all things). Ad claim is that they are uniquely acorn-fed. I don't know if that's it or what. I do know that, even in Iowa, it's going to take me substantial work to find that cut. I also found the taste of that pork something that I've never had in Iowa, and it isn't all my marinade. (Slayer -- Secreto is the "teriyaki" flavored one from Rourke's brunch).
d. I've bought tuna that was in the ocean on thursday and in my tummy on friday. The only better tuna I've had was at a sushi bar in Chicago.

Whether this makes me more cultured or not, I won't say. Whether this makes me an effete whatchamacallit or some other lack of essential sanity, I won't say either.

But for me, its an occasionally indulged (maybe 2-3 times a year) hobby that I enjoy.

And, while there is no doubt that such food is extravagant and over-the-top, I'm betting that as hobbies go, it's one that probably is cheaper than a lot of more "manly" hobbies involving big toys and/or trips to expensive sports fora.

Wade wrote:

I know a few guys here who have $600+ payments on their small penis wagons, I mean BMWs. With a $200 payment on a Saturn, you can splurge once a month with the money you save. I'd much rather drive a Saturn anyways as long as the stereo works well. Never saw the advantage of a BMV.

What I'm getting at is you're right, as far as hobbies go, food isn't that costly.

Nice thing about living in SF is we have damn good sushi. I owed someone a favor last week and ran up a near $200 bill for the four of us. That was damn good sushi. We ate like kings.

Of course, Dakota will get on his high horse for not catching the fish myself but whatever. Yes. I do hunt. But now that I'm an apartment dweller, I got nowhere to store meat so it's bird hunting only now. Whatever. I'm going off an another tangent.

It was you who introduced me to whisky. They call it Scotch here, but I'll call it whisky (without the e) to avoid confusion. Dalwhinnie's was the first bottle I bought and it was surprisingly smooth. I've had Johnny Walker Black and Johnny Walker Red before. Enjoyed them both, but Dalwhinnie's blows them both away.

As for Japanese steaks, still a virgin. Only had American steaks which I enjoy immensely. Would love to be able to compare and contrast them.

So as far as food culture is concerned, still kind of a noob. I'm all ears though.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
12 years ago

A couple points:
1. Expensive liquor. I can't speak for $400 bottles and what they might offer. I can say that there can be a major difference between:
a. Gin that goes over $50/bottle (e.g. Old Raj 55%) and that which goes under.
b. Cognac/Armagnac that goes over $75/bottle (e.g., Martell Cordon Bleu) and that which goes under.
c. Whisky (the single-malt Scots kind, no "e") that goes over $100 instead of under it.
d. Port (okay, technically not liquor) that goes over $150 (e.g.,Grahams 40 year tawny) and that which doesn't.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Breaking this into two segments.. because honestly they are two completely different topics and worlds in my mind.

I don't consider 50 - 100 dollars a bottle to be out of the question or even norm for a good bottle of spirits in today's market. I guess I should have expanded my definition of "top shelf" and the fairer priced variety. Not the knock off walmart type selection.

Example.. a close friend only drinks Dewar's.. and I have no clue what is goes for today but I know it was considerably more than the Johnny Walker black label I would stock for myself. My choice of Absolut was all the more that I needed than some bottle of Kauffman.

My point.. side by side.. one didn't need to spend top dollar to enjoy a fine spirit. IMO, and I have tried both on many occasion, there just isn't much difference in overall taste and enjoyment. Well I enjoyed drinking out of his expensive bottle just to scrooge off him. :)

2. Food.
a. I think people are operating under the belief that "buying protein online" gets you nothing more than "Omaha steak" quality. That simply isn't the case. If you know where to look (and are willing to make some expensive mistakes along the way), the high-end options are in fact more than a "step above". Fresh OR frozen sometimes.
b. I've never had a Wagyu steak. (And I expect I'll never have true Japanese Kobe.) I'm guessing, however, that not just the $120/lb Wagyu ribeye that Lobel's sells, but the $40/lb dry-aged one (both of which are going to be delivered fresh, never frozen, by the way) are going to be a far different taste than any steak most of us have access to in our grocery stores and butcher shops.
c. I've paid bucks for Secreto Iberico de Bellotta (a fancy Portuguese name for a special cut of pork skirt steak of all things). Ad claim is that they are uniquely acorn-fed. I don't know if that's it or what. I do know that, even in Iowa, it's going to take me substantial work to find that cut. I also found the taste of that pork something that I've never had in Iowa, and it isn't all my marinade. (Slayer -- Secreto is the "teriyaki" flavored one from Rourke's brunch).
d. I've bought tuna that was in the ocean on thursday and in my tummy on friday. The only better tuna I've had was at a sushi bar in Chicago.

Whether this makes me more cultured or not, I won't say. Whether this makes me an effete whatchamacallit or some other lack of essential sanity, I won't say either.

But for me, its an occasionally indulged (maybe 2-3 times a year) hobby that I enjoy.

And, while there is no doubt that such food is extravagant and over-the-top, I'm betting that as hobbies go, it's one that probably is cheaper than a lot of more "manly" hobbies involving big toys and/or trips to expensive sports fora.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Beef, Vension, and to a degree pork taste has a ton to do with their environment and diet. One can raise a pastured beef a heck of a lot cheaper than corn and soybean feed, but there is a noticeable difference in meat quality and taste. Their lies another reason to raise and process your own.. you make some of those choices and help determine the quality. Choice of breed of steer plays another part.

I cannot speak to the taste of some of the brands in which you speak, unless Ruth Chris, Bern's (Tampa), Gibson's (Chicago), Mo's (Milwaukee) or Kurt's (Delafield) served it on the menu and I failed to notice. But eating a prepared steak again is another topic over grilling it your own. Maybe someday I will splurge just to compare.

Now.. once you have it raised, choice of either butcher shops or how you cut the beef play another large part. But that is widely known and documented.. if you are paying premium dollar the cuts better be correct.

Now comes in the part that I enjoy and honestly plays a large part into preparing a steak. Seasoning and marinating the steak properly. Most do this in the thawing process or post thaw.. some of my best work has been when I have rubbed and soaked the steak prior to freezing,shortening the shelf life but it enhances the taste.

Of course the grilling of the steak is the final and equally important step into completely a delicious and fulling meal of steak. Charcoal or fire pit (type of wood, apple wood for example adds a dimension) over gas, but one can prepare a fine meal on a gas as well.. just something about the flavor of those more natural choices adds to the experience.

In conclusion.. neither lack a sense of culture, just the origins and overall costs vary.

Nothing flames me more than pointing to my geographical location or method of procurement as a basis to cite a lack of culture, hence to the response to Zombie in the first place on this tangent.. lol. In many senses my method has added to the cultural experience.. just most either would not enjoy or cannot enjoy due to their location upon this earth.

We might lack the number of choices of entertainment or dining, but that truly doesn't mean we lack culture. I might not fit into a black tie world, but just they same they wouldn't fit into a blue jean and a deck chair life.

Selecting a hunting spot as well, will help determine the taste of the game depending on their environmental environment and diet. If you are looking for a trophy or looking to fill the freezer will as well. I will take a 2 year field feed deer over a sever year old swamp or hardwoods buck in terms of taste.

Pigs.. well it really comes down to diet more than anything in my experience growing up and raising the beasts in terms of lean or fatty.. don't really know that I have any experience over a pen feed or lot fed hog. All I know is if the bastards get out.. I would rather shot them where they stand than chase them back into the lot. Stubborn and sometimes mean SOB's.. but yet another topic all by itself.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Breaking this into two segments.. because honestly they are two completely different topics and worlds in my mind.

I don't consider 50 - 100 dollars a bottle to be out of the question or even norm for a good bottle of spirits in today's market. I guess I should have expanded my definition of "top shelf" and the fairer priced variety. Not the knock off walmart type selection.

Example.. a close friend only drinks Dewar's.. and I have no clue what is goes for today but I know it was considerably more than the Johnny Walker black label I would stock for myself. My choice of Absolut was all the more that I needed than some bottle of Kauffman.

My point.. side by side.. one didn't need to spend top dollar to enjoy a fine spirit. IMO, and I have tried both on many occasion, there just isn't much difference in overall taste and enjoyment. Well I enjoyed drinking out of his expensive bottle just to scrooge off him. :)

Beef, Vension, and to a degree pork taste has a ton to do with their environment and diet. One can raise a pastured beef a heck of a lot cheaper than corn and soybean feed, but there is a noticeable difference in meat quality and taste. Their lies another reason to raise and process your own.. you make some of those choices and help determine the quality. Choice of breed of steer plays another part.

I cannot speak to the taste of some of the brands in which you speak, unless Ruth Chris, Bern's (Tampa), Gibson's (Chicago), Mo's (Milwaukee) or Kurt's (Delafield) served it on the menu and I failed to notice. But eating a prepared steak again is another topic over grilling it your own. Maybe someday I will splurge just to compare.

Now.. once you have it raised, choice of either butcher shops or how you cut the beef play another large part. But that is widely known and documented.. if you are paying premium dollar the cuts better be correct.

Now comes in the part that I enjoy and honestly plays a large part into preparing a steak. Seasoning and marinating the steak properly. Most do this in the thawing process or post thaw.. some of my best work has been when I have rubbed and soaked the steak prior to freezing,shortening the shelf life but it enhances the taste.

Of course the grilling of the steak is the final and equally important step into completely a delicious and fulling meal of steak. Charcoal or fire pit (type of wood, apple wood for example adds a dimension) over gas, but one can prepare a fine meal on a gas as well.. just something about the flavor of those more natural choices adds to the experience.

In conclusion.. neither lack a sense of culture, just the origins and overall costs vary.

Nothing flames me more than pointing to my geographical location or method of procurement as a basis to cite a lack of culture, hence to the response to Zombie in the first place on this tangent.. lol. In many senses my method has added to the cultural experience.. just most either would not enjoy or cannot enjoy due to their location upon this earth.

We might lack the number of choices of entertainment or dining, but that truly doesn't mean we lack culture. I might not fit into a black tie world, but just they same they wouldn't fit into a blue jean and a deck chair life.

Selecting a hunting spot as well, will help determine the taste of the game depending on their environmental environment and diet. If you are looking for a trophy or looking to fill the freezer will as well. I will take a 2 year field feed deer over a sever year old swamp or hardwoods buck in terms of taste.

Pigs.. well it really comes down to diet more than anything in my experience growing up and raising the beasts in terms of lean or fatty.. don't really know that I have any experience over a pen feed or lot fed hog. All I know is if the bastards get out.. I would rather shot them where they stand than chase them back into the lot. Stubborn and sometimes mean SOB's.. but yet another topic all by itself.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

The location -> lack of culture was not meant to be taken seriously. I was countering an ass comment with an ass comment. It was a joke.

On a more serious note, Johnny Walker Black is plenty good. I can't do Dalwhinnie's all the time. I'm settle for Black and Dalwhinnie's for special occasions.

As for your beef, damn. I want to hang out with you. You really know your stuff.

I'm not an expert by any means. I will say though that buffalo by law here has to be free range. That means not corn fed but eating the stuff that buffalo are supposed to eat in nature. Buffalo steaks are fabulous, but somewhat gamey.

I actually prefer beefalo steaks as most beefalo ranchers are also free range out here but the beefalo is less gamey. It is still slightly gamey, but just the right amount (if that makes any sense).

I'm totally with you on the grilling. This is one serious drawback to apartment living. I get these expensive steaks and I'm broiling them. Don't really have a choice other than taking them to a friend's house (which we often do) and put them on a real grill.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
12 years ago

The location -> lack of culture was not meant to be taken seriously. I was countering an ass comment with an ass comment. It was a joke.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Oh I know it was a joke here.. but call it a learned response. Example.. A good friend of mine, Clark Redmon, used to give me grief when we worked together for a couple of years.. he would always ask why would you move back to "nothing" and give up the city life. He grew up in Texas, played ball for the Horns and went onto the NBA.. all he ever knew was the city and its way.. It was a running joke between us for the duration we worked together.

But I could never get him to explore outside of the city.. lol. but I was game to his environment of the clubs and dining. Albeit sometimes extremely out of place.. but welcomed just the same.

As for your beef, damn. I want to hang out with you. You really know your stuff.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I am not an expert.. but growing up on a dairy farm and having to raise your own food for the most part in childhood, you learn how to adapt and improve your choices on the menu. lol.

I hated having to be a "farm" kid growing up, hated to have to do the extra work each day that other kids. but today I treasure that upbringing. I learned many life skills in that setting.. I recommend it highly to the a youth. It will ground you in a hurry.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
While both Wade and zombieslayer are correct that one often gets what one pays for, it is just as true that such is not always the case. For example, my wife and I once tried Kobe beef at a Japanese hibachi restaurant. The meat was certainly excellent, but it was by no means worth three times the price of American beef, which is what they charged us. I might be willing to pay a 50% premium in the future, but no more than that.

Maybe I am a rube, but I am also skeptical that more expensive always equates to better in the liquor department. There is certainly a drastic difference between the quality of a $37 fifth of Belvedere and a $4 fifth of Aristocrat -- but then again, the best-tasting vodka I've ever had was a Minnesota brand called Shakers, which at the time ran for $14 a fifth. I drank a fifth of that the night before my wedding, only got four hours of sleep, and got up with no hangover whatsoever. By the same token, I don't think the whiskeys sold by Vom Fass, which can range up to 100€ ($150) per liter, taste all that much better than the Glenfiddich my father-in-law drinks, which runs around $35 a liter.

Or maybe I am not such a rube. Many people believe they can tell the difference between expensive and cheap wines from the test and smell alone. However, I have read articles citing studies in which it was found that in blind taste tests, even recognized wine judges consistently misidentified wines from a wide array of prices. That is to say, they could not reliably tell the difference between a $200 bottle of wine and a $20 bottle of wine. Indeed, in one article I read, the unanimous favorite of the judges was the cheapest wine they tasted by at least an order of magnitude! I know that in Germany, one can purchase entirely drinkable wines for 3€ to 5€ a liter (most wines in America come in 0.75-liter bottles), although anything below 2€ is likely to be corrosive on the stomach.

For my money, the best values in wines are the Chilean and Argentinian varietals. They feature an excellent balance between price and taste. If you have never tried a Malbec or a Carménère, you really must. They will surprise you. Australian wines are also decent values, although I find them a bit plain compared to their South American counterparts (Syrah just doesn't impress me except as a table wine). The wines with the least value for the everyman are the French and the California wines, which are grossly overpriced on the merits of marketing alone. I saw Napa Valley wines in Germany for about a tenth of the price that they run in America. Just as with pharmaceuticals, it's Americans who bear the brunt of the marketing costs, while people everywhere else in the world get the benefits without the extra price.

By the way, if any of you are having a wedding reception any time soon, by all means contact Wade. His skills as a gourmand are unmatched, and he will cater you the meal of your dreams. I am still amazed at the quality and variety of the repast he set before us. It was simply overwhelming, and I can't fully express my gratitude.

Or better yet, contact me first, and I will help set things up. I am his new manager. 🖐
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (4h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (4h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (23h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.