DakotaT
12 years ago

About once a month I grill a fine piece of steak.. filet, ribeye or porter.. but none come from a frozen box with an overpriced sticker.

Sure that is not practical for some in their surroundings, but here there are still many that don't take advantage of their surroundings and enjoy the fruits of their labor without coughing up a small fortune.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Nothing tastes better than a Porterhouse or ribeye that you butchered and grilled yourself. I don't think I go more than a week without enjoying some culture.

Of course getting to the point in life where you actually know how and are willing to butcher the carcass is not for everyone - obviously.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Formo - 2009, you SHOULD have won the SB. I think using Occam's Razor, the only logical reason you didn't is because God hates the Vikings.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

2009 is soooooo 2 years ago. That year is dead to me.

Since then, your OL has aged badly. So has your DL. You have no QB. Your DBs are mediocre. You lost your #1 WR and as much as I love Percy Harvin, he can't carry the team. I still stand by saying AP is the best RB in the NFL but that's not good enough. You've probably read my articles on how the best RB in the NFL != success in the NFL.

OL has aged, but new schemes = different results. Just wait. DL is actually younger. Get with the program my dood. Granted, they may not be as stout as they were in '09, but they are younger. #5 and #7 says we do have a QB. The playaction will freeze up more than one team's defense this year. The starting DBs are very much above mediocre. The backups are the mediocre at best DBs. I didn't study the film because I don't care to waste time on it, but I'm pretty certain that when the starting DBs (read: CBs) were healthy, the DL (read: DEs) were getting to opposing teams QBs. They work as a unit, not individually. WR is going to be alright. McNabb never really had more than one all pro WR with the exception of TO and whomever else was the Iggles #2 WR that year. McNabb won't need more than 1 elite WR with the workhorse lining up behind him. Speaking of #28, you are right. It's proven that having the best RB in the league doesn't always equal success in the NFL, but it's never all about just one person anyway. But with AP running the rock, like I mentioned above, the play action will expose defenses. Along with all those crazy TE/WR bunch formations the Vikings now will be running. Misalignments and misassignments will always beat you before mismatches, and the theory in Minny is that's what their goal is on offense.

You're rebuilding. We'll hit you when you're down. 2013 or 2014 might be an entirely different matter. It depends on how well you rebuild. A smart rebuilding team doesn't stay down for long.

Still don't think it's rebuilding. If they were rebuilding, they wouldn't have gone out and gotten McNabb, Jenkins, etc. They would have been stockpiling draft picks. This year, I still stand by, is a reloading year.

Good luck. Seriously. I actually like it when the NFC North is the toughest division. Good opponents toughen you up.

Thanks. I can't agree with you here, either. This is the NFL and SOS doesn't do squat to get teams into the playoffs.

As for the bet, already made a bet with VR.

Pansy. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
zombieslayer
12 years ago

It is not as much as about culture as it is about the aesthetics of the bet.

There is a place for a fine slab of beef or a vase of aged liquor.. but neither are under a hefty price tag for a name or convenience.

IMO.. there lies the issue with that bet.. it is more about stinging in the wallet than stinging in the fan hood. (For the record, I will enjoy watching the bet play out.. albeit disappointed that it lacks any personal humiliation aspect, lol.)

About once a month I grill a fine piece of steak.. filet, ribeye or porter.. but none come from a frozen box with an overpriced sticker.

Sure that is not practical for some in their surroundings, but here there are still many that don't take advantage of their surroundings and enjoy the fruits of their labor without coughing up a small fortune.

If that is the lack of culture in which you speak.. so be it.

But whom really is lacking what in the situation? ;)

I quit the hard liquor years ago.. but one thing I can attest.. you can find fine tasting elixir for a fairer price than some of the top shelf brands out there. A properly aged wine, well those are harder to come across.. but the same doesn't hold true for liquor in my experience.

Pack93z - Oh, I've already admitted elsewhere that what you did takes a whole lot more balls than to do what VR & I are doing. You will NEVER see me wearing a Helga hat. When I'm dead, I'm hiring armed bodyguards to watch over my casket and make sure that before I'm cremated, nobody puts a Helga hat on me and snaps a photo.

Formo - I like McNabb. He's a solidly above average QB. Your OL isn't good enough to protect him and he won't last the season. NOT wishing harm on him by any means, but I'm calling it as I see it. When he goes down, your season is screwed.

Maybe I made the comment about your DBs after one of them went down. Regardless, that shows you have no depth there (unless something happened in the off season). Don't forget I watched every game Favre played in last year.

We sweep you by a combined 22+ points.

I do think you guys picked up McNabb for morale reasons alone. You are rebuilding and you guys don't want to "appear" like you're rebuilding.

Dakota - Eventually I'll hit ND. I'm at 31 states now. Mrs. Z wants to visit Alaska next though and that will cost me.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

It is not as much as about culture as it is about the aesthetics of the bet.

There is a place for a fine slab of beef or a vase of aged liquor.. but neither are under a hefty price tag for a name or convenience.

IMO.. there lies the issue with that bet.. it is more about stinging in the wallet than stinging in the fan hood. (For the record, I will enjoy watching the bet play out.. albeit disappointed that it lacks any personal humiliation aspect, lol.)

If that is the lack of culture in which you speak.. so be it.

But whom really is lacking what in the situation? ;)

I quit the hard liquor years ago.. but one thing I can attest.. you can find fine tasting elixir for a fairer price than some of the top shelf brands out there. A properly aged wine, well those are harder to come across.. but the same doesn't hold true for liquor in my experience.

A couple points:
1. Expensive liquor. I can't speak for $400 bottles and what they might offer. I can say that there can be a major difference between:
a. Gin that goes over $50/bottle (e.g. Old Raj 55%) and that which goes under.
b. Cognac/Armagnac that goes over $75/bottle (e.g., Martell Cordon Bleu) and that which goes under.
c. Whisky (the single-malt Scots kind, no "e") that goes over $100 instead of under it.
d. Port (okay, technically not liquor) that goes over $150 (e.g.,Grahams 40 year tawny) and that which doesn't.

2. Food.
a. I think people are operating under the belief that "buying protein online" gets you nothing more than "Omaha steak" quality. That simply isn't the case. If you know where to look (and are willing to make some expensive mistakes along the way), the high-end options are in fact more than a "step above". Fresh OR frozen sometimes.
b. I've never had a Wagyu steak. (And I expect I'll never have true Japanese Kobe.) I'm guessing, however, that not just the $120/lb Wagyu ribeye that Lobel's sells, but the $40/lb dry-aged one (both of which are going to be delivered fresh, never frozen, by the way) are going to be a far different taste than any steak most of us have access to in our grocery stores and butcher shops.
c. I've paid bucks for Secreto Iberico de Bellotta (a fancy Portuguese name for a special cut of pork skirt steak of all things). Ad claim is that they are uniquely acorn-fed. I don't know if that's it or what. I do know that, even in Iowa, it's going to take me substantial work to find that cut. I also found the taste of that pork something that I've never had in Iowa, and it isn't all my marinade. (Slayer -- Secreto is the "teriyaki" flavored one from Rourke's brunch).
d. I've bought tuna that was in the ocean on thursday and in my tummy on friday. The only better tuna I've had was at a sushi bar in Chicago.

Whether this makes me more cultured or not, I won't say. Whether this makes me an effete whatchamacallit or some other lack of essential sanity, I won't say either.

But for me, its an occasionally indulged (maybe 2-3 times a year) hobby that I enjoy.

And, while there is no doubt that such food is extravagant and over-the-top, I'm betting that as hobbies go, it's one that probably is cheaper than a lot of more "manly" hobbies involving big toys and/or trips to expensive sports fora.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Sorry for the last off-topic post.

As for the original thread, let me just say ...

...that, alas, I have nothing to say.

Never mind.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Formo
12 years ago

Pack93z - Oh, I've already admitted elsewhere that what you did takes a whole lot more balls than to do what VR & I are doing. You will NEVER see me wearing a Helga hat. When I'm dead, I'm hiring armed bodyguards to watch over my casket and make sure that before I'm cremated, nobody puts a Helga hat on me and snaps a photo.

Formo - I like McNabb. He's a solidly above average QB. Your OL isn't good enough to protect him and he won't last the season. NOT wishing harm on him by any means, but I'm calling it as I see it. When he goes down, your season is screwed.

Maybe I made the comment about your DBs after one of them went down. Regardless, that shows you have no depth there (unless something happened in the off season). Don't forget I watched every game Favre played in last year.

We sweep you by a combined 22+ points.

I do think you guys picked up McNabb for morale reasons alone. You are rebuilding and you guys don't want to "appear" like you're rebuilding.

Dakota - Eventually I'll hit ND. I'm at 31 states now. Mrs. Z wants to visit Alaska next though and that will cost me.

2 CBs went down and Winfield was nicked up, I think both on IR (Cook and Griffin). I agree there's a lack of depth, but unless you have a great system, it's hard for any team to recover from losing both CBs.

Like I said about the OL, they have changed schemes #1. And #2, from preseason game 1 to preseason game 3, they have made some vast improvements. McNabb had some plays where he could stand back there all day. Then of course, there were the plays where protection broke down. Come to find out, he's more mobile than Favre!

I'd take you up on your spread (22pts) in that the Vikes would cover it... But they are going to punch the Pukers in the mouth and end up winning both games in a landslide.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

2 CBs went down and Winfield was nicked up, I think both on IR (Cook and Griffin). I agree there's a lack of depth, but unless you have a great system, it's hard for any team to recover from losing both CBs.

Like I said about the OL, they have changed schemes #1. And #2, from preseason game 1 to preseason game 3, they have made some vast improvements. McNabb had some plays where he could stand back there all day. Then of course, there were the plays where protection broke down. Come to find out, he's more mobile than Favre!

I'd take you up on your spread (22pts) in that the Vikes would cover it... But they are going to punch the Pukers in the mouth and end up winning both games in a landslide.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

So that is why Minny stuck so bad last year.... They had a couple of players with boo boos.

No team with that many injures could ever be competitive in this league. :-"
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Formo 

LOL! You funny guy!

I actually did laugh when I read this. Seriously.

OK. I don't know the ins and outs of your team. I just know what I saw. Your DBs sucked. Thanks for explaining the injuries as I didn't know that. I just saw the results.

Just an fyi - we won a Super Bowl with 2 CBs out. But then again, we got depth. You don't.

As for your OL, good. I'm quite serious when I say I want to see the NFC North as the toughest division. Maybe it was an insecurity from childhood when the NFC Central was the laughingstock of the NFL and people would joke that whomever ended up with a winning record would win the NFC Central.

And no, only one bet this year. This bet I have with VR is epic. I don't want to detract anything from it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
12 years ago

So that is why Minny stuck so bad last year.... They had a couple of players with boo boos.

No team with that many injures could ever be competitive in this league. :-"

Originally Posted by: wpr 

There were more than just one reason, snarky. That was one main reason the Vikes DEs couldn't seem to get to the opposing teams QBs. Is there an echo here? I swore I just said that... 😣
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Just an fyi - we won a Super Bowl with 2 CBs out. But then again, we got depth. You don't.

I'm very well aware of this. Your guys had decent depth, but also had a pretty damn good system in place (finally) that gave your CBs leverage (multiple fast pass rushers).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (14h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (17h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.