wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Packers Roster Mostly Set for Return to Super Bowl 

As you would expect for a team that just won the Super Bowl eight months ago, the Green Bay Packers don’t have many open roster spots or training camp battles going on this preseason.

The Packers did not make many moves in the shortened offseason but the team feels its roster is so deep and the talent level so high that this was not necessary. Here is a position-by-position analysis of the team’s current roster.

Quarterback

This position is obviously well-settled both with the starter Aaron Rodgers and the backup Matt Flynn. Rodgers is fresh off his MVP performance in the Super Bowl and is poised to enter the top echelon of quarterbacks in the league. The sky is the limit for Rodgers and he will receive only limited play in the preseason.

Flynn is a capable and confident backup who will be a unrestricted free agent next year. This will make Flynn hungry to perform well in his limited role in the preseason in an attempt to set himself up as a candidate for a starting position on a new team next year. Flynn should get some time with the No. 1 offense to show what he can do and audition himself for the league. But once the season starts, it’s Rodgers' show.

Graham Harrell has been in the system for a while now and needs to show he can become the new backup if Flynn leaves after this season. The team is not carrying a fourth quarterback, so look for Harrell to get a lot of reps in the preseason games as they determine his future worth.
Rodgers_crop_340x234

Running Back

Ryan Grant is back from his injury and has been reportedly getting a high number of reps in camp thus far. Unless he is hobbled by the injury or slowed down, it is hard to expect a back who has ran for more than 1,200 yards each of the past two seasons he has been healthy to not be the primary ball carrier.

James Starks broke out late in the season and during the playoffs and made the team think highly enough of him to let the valuable Brandon Jackson go to Cleveland without much of a fight. Starks will spell Grant more than what Grant has seen in the past. Hopefully the two can become a combination situation that will make both players better and not hold one or both of them back.

Everyone appears excited about the potential of rookie Alex Green, but right now he is listed behind Dimitri Nance on the depth chart. Green will get his chances to make an impact in the return game as he figures out the system and the team sees where and if he may be of use on the offense.

The Packers re-signed John Kuhn in the offseason and actually made him one of the higher-paid fullbacks in the league. (A victory for lovers of yelling "OOO" at a game.) Kuhn is a good blocker and short-yardage performer who can catch well out of the backfield when called upon.
Emotion_crop_340x234

Korey Hall left in the offseason, leaving Quinn Johnson as the only other legitimate fullback on the roster. At this point it appears the Pack may only keep two fullbacks to help out the logjam at other positions (see tight ends below).

Wide Receiver

The Packers wide receiving corps is as deep and talented as any in the league. Pro Bowler Greg Jennings leads the deep squad and is only getting better. Rodgers had been going to other options early last year, but injuries led him back to Jennings and the Packers offense took off when they found their rhythm.

The aging but still dangerous Donald Driver should hold on to the other starting position. Driver and the other two main options behind him all see about the same number of plays, so starting in this offense just means he gets his name announced before the game starts.

Driver is set to pass James Lofton and become the all-time leader in receiving yards for the Packers. (That reminds me to write that article about meeting James Lofton at the bar in Green Bay.)

The other two cogs in this interchangeable set are Jordy Nelson and James Jones. The Packers re-signed Jones after he tested the free agent market this offseason. His return keeps stability and production at a level most teams cannot duplicate from their No. 3 and 4 receivers. Nelson is coming off his near-MVP performance at the Super Bowl and seems to be improving with each season.

Rookie Randall Cobb looks to be the other keeper on the current roster. So far in camp, he appears to be confident and a real student of the game. He may even get some chances on offense and will certainly be given every chance to help the team in the return game.

Tight End

This is another position of depth on this team. The Pack let Donald Lee and all his experience leave as they liked their other options so much. Jermichael Finley is the projected starter. Finley has teased the league with his talent and ability but he needs to stay healthy and show he can play as well as he talks.

The Packers are nearly as excited about the ability of Andrew Quarless as their No. 2 tight end. He has many of the same skills as Finley and filled in decently during his rookie year.

Rookie D.J. Williams also excited the team with his potential. Tom Crabtree is a good special team player and has produced as a run blocker in a limited role thus far in his career.

There is talk that the Packers may look into keeping as many as five tight ends on the roster in exchange for keeping only two fullbacks. Like every year, this leaves Spencer Havner on the edge of a roster spot, though he seems to do nothing but produce when given an opportunity.

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

Linebackers

Defensive Backs

Special Teams
EDITED

It is a little disappointing that the writer took the easy way out and referred to the players he feels certain to make the team. I think he names about 49 of them. He did mention a few others (Like Nance and Havner) that most likely won't make the ream but he doesn't say that for certain.

Among the players who have a chance to be on the team or at least the practice squad are:
RB Saine, WR Smithson, TE Taylor, C Mc Donald, DE Guy, LB Elmore, CB House, CB Gordy, S Levine, S Underwood, and LS Goode. Nor does he mention OL EDS, Schauderaff, Dominguez, or Campbell.

Of this group Mc Donald, House and Goode do make the team. I would not be surprised to see Gordy make it as well in place of Lee. As well as Levine.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (12h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (12h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (12h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (13h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (15h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (20h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (20h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.