nerdmann
12 years ago
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/07/packers-in-depth-packing-for-return-super-bowl-trip/1 

The NFL lockout has dampened the usual offseason analysis of each team's comings and goings. But, lockout or not, the league will still be moving on at some point -- hopefully in time for the regular season to start on time Sept. 8. And during the labor impasse, USA TODAY will focus back on the field by breaking down the five biggest questions facing each team for the 2011 season.

Up today: The Green Bay Packers.

1. Will the champs avoid gorging themselves at the table of football kings and remain as hungry as pigskin paupers?

Teams that suffer Super Bowl hangovers are as common as overserved visitors staggering through the French Quarter. Look no further than the Super Bowl XLIV champion Saints. They failed to repeat when they lost their mojo -- among other factors -- while flaming out in the wild-card round last season despite being heavily favored to beat the sub-.500 Seahawks. Fact is, no NFC champion has successfully defended its crown since, well, those Brett Favre-led frozen-tundra wonders of 1997. "Definitely, there will be some challenges,'' current Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters in the offseason. What can steal the Packers' cheese? Injuries for one thing … even though Green Bay was decimated in that department last season yet still prevailed. Emotional letdowns, which can cause corresponding physical and mental breakdowns, are common afflictions of big winners. Naturally, opposing teams get geeked up playing the heavyweight champs, always on the prowl for a surprise knockout. And remember, the Packers were not the hunted for the majority of last season. As the NFL's second-youngest team, they were a wild-card entry who gained momentum in the playoffs after qualifying for them on the final weekend of the 2010 regular season. The lockout also rendered the Green Bay players -- almost none of them live in Wisconsin in the offseason -- among the few who didn't convene for their own workouts during the work stoppage. But the Packers have more than a few things going for them, including strong leadership from QB Aaron Rodgers and CB Charles Woodson. They also have their ace in the hole -- McCarthy. The native Pittsburgher has a high-revving football motor. He will not tolerate a fat-cat attitude. "I am a big believer that every level you hit brings new devils,'' he said. With that kind of resolve, a potential dynasty might be in the offing … if the Pack stays on a focused track.

2. Rodgers silenced his critics last season -- can he pull off an encore?

Absolutely -- but with this historical caveat: Only one starting quarterback has won back-to-back rings since the turn of the century: Tom Brady. Rodgers, the freshly minted Super Bowl XLV MVP, has matured into one of the league's finest signal-callers. That does not mean he has peaked. "I thought he did an exceptional job as a leader and in his growth -- and he's got more in front of him,'' McCarthy said. Yes, Rodgers keeps getting better, as evidenced by a career-best completion percentage last season (65.7%), although he threw more four more interceptions (11) in 2010 than he did in '09 (when he also threw 66 more passes). And what about those potentially draining/distracting off-field endeavors? Football is Rodgers' vocation; music his avocation. His band, The Make, recorded a video recently for Rodgers' record label, Suspended Sunshine Recordings. He also has been quite the busy bachelor. In May, he attended the Kentucky Derby with a Victoria's Secret model, one of a succession of hotties he has dated. Still, McCarthy says, "I think he is very grounded.'' If not for missing one game last season because of a concussion, Rodgers undoubtedly would have posted his third consecutive 4,000-yard passing campaign in his third year since supplanting Favre in 2008.

3. Can the Packers keep churning on offense if they decide to utilize a running back-by-committee attack?

In a word, yes. Ryan Grant's broken ankle last season caused him to miss all but one game. That forced McCarthy to mix and match Brandon Jackson, rookie sixth-round pick James Starks (who excelled in the playoffs) and tough-as-nails veteran John Kuhn. Of course, NFL backfields have become less reliant on a single featured performer. Grant, 28, should enter camp as the No. 1 back based on his experience, work habits and consistency, including a pair of 1,200-yard-plus rushing seasons and a 4.4-yard per-carry career average. Jackson, 25, is on the smaller side but is adept catching the football (25 receptions in 2010); he's also likely ticketed for free agency. Starks, 25, a big, elusive, long-strider, did not make his NFL debut until December. His most memorable effort came in the playoff against the Eagles when he set the franchise playoff record for rushing yards in a game by a rookie (123). Kuhn? The 28-year-old career backup already has two Super Bowl rings, the other from his days in Pittsburgh. The Packers also drafted Alex\ Green of Hawaii in the third round, and he could take Jackson's role. Whatever backfield combo McCarthy deploys, depth does not appear to be an issue even if dividing the workload could be.

4. Is monster TE Jermichael Finley again healthy and ready to haunt secondaries?

As they say in Wisconsin, you betcha. Finley, placed on IR last October with a torn meniscus, tweeted this spring that his surgically repaired knee "feels brand new.'' The too-fast, too-big tight end busted out of the gates in fabulous style in 2010, including two 100-yard-plus receiving efforts in the Packers' first three games. In '09, Finley's sophomore season, he started 10 games and played in 13, producing nice numbers: 55 catches for 676 yards and five TDs, including a score of 62 yards. Those numbers do not include his incredible playoff performance against the Cardinals, which included six catches for 159 yards, the second-highest yardage output for a tight end in playoff history. Finley, 24, should only get better and make the highly potent offense even more dangerous in the red zone.

5. Did the Packers substantially improve their squad in the draft?

Think of it this way: When doesn't GM Ted Thompson improve the team through his bird-dogging of talent, whether it is in the draft or by finding quality undrafted rookies? He has done a wonderful job of constructing a deep, talented roster, one loaded with starters Thompson has handpicked through the draft. His philosophy is simple: He likes versatility and value. On the final day of this year's draft, the shrewd wheeler-dealer made three trades, moving back twice and securing two extra sixth-round picks. The Packers remained disciplined in their approach, refusing to get caught up with their depth chart and remaining true to their draft board. What resulted was sort of an offensively lopsided procurement of talent. Among the most important acquisitions were their first three picks: T Derek Sherrod of Mississippi State, WR/KR Randall Cobb of Kentucky and Green. Keep an eye on fifth-round TE D.J. Williams, too. "We weren't the best offense in the league,'' McCarthy sniffed. "We feel we have more to offer.''

USAToday wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (9h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (10h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.