Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/02/06/packers.super.grades/index.html#ixzz1DFka0bnU 

Quarterback: Aaron Rodgers' numbers aren't in the Phil Simms/Joe Montana realm -- 24-for-39, 304 yards, three touchdowns -- but if his receivers had caught everything he put on their hands, he would have had one of those alltime Super Bowl stat lines. Rodgers' bigger achievement was controlling the tempo and the emotional flow of the game. He got rid of the ball quickly and threw the ball away when he had to so the Steelers' pass rush couldn't gain momentum. After his MVP performance, Rodgers now belongs in the same conversation with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger as one of the great quarterbacks in the NFL.
Grade: A

Running backs: James Starks ran hard when he had a chance and had some nice plays in the first half. But coach Mike McCarthy had no interest in staying on the ground against the best run defense in the league and Starks had just 11 carries for 52 yards. Starks and fullback Korey Hall still deserve credit for helping protect Rodgers.
Grade: B-plus

Receivers: From the first drive, the Packers could tell they had an advantage with Jordy Nelson over the Steelers' third and fourth cornerbacks. Nelson was Green Bay's most effective weapon with nine catches for 140 yards and a touchdown. He also had some costly drops that could have helped the Packers' establish a safer lead. Nevertheless, we've seen how comfortable Rodgers is with Nelson during the playoffs, so it shouldn't be too surprising he stepped up as a star on Sunday. The Steelers often had two defenders on No. 1 receiver Greg Jennings, and Rodgers didn't look his way for most of the game. Jennings did make two big plays in the fourth quarter -- a 21-yard touchdown and a big third-down catch for 31 yards. James Jones and Brett Swain, who filled in for an injured Donald Driver, also had a few bad drops. Jones seems to drop a potential touchdown every game, even though he makes up for it with big plays.
Grade: B-

Offensive Line: The Packers' offensive line did a remarkable job against the Steelers' fierce pass rush, allowing just three sacks even though Rodgers dropped back 39 times. Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Josh Sitton and Bryan Bulaga did a great job figuring out where the Steelers pressure was coming from and providing lanes for Rodgers to go to work.
Grade: A

Defensive Line: The Packers' front started out playing well, but they never established a pass rush and Roethlisberger was way too comfortable for most of the second half. They had trouble getting any penetration and the Steelers had success on the ground. However, defensive tackle Howard Green did get to Roethlisberger once and knocked his arm, leading to a pick-six in the first half.
Grade: C

Linebackers: Even though Clay Matthews didn't have any of his signature knockout blows, he never gives up on plays and caused a key fumble in the fourth quarter. Matthews and A.J. Hawk both made impressive athletic plays to tip Roethlisberger passes. And rookie Frank Zombo made a few nice plays, including a second-half sack. Overall, this unit didn't create the kind of havoc we're used to. They didn't get to the quarterback and had trouble containing Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall.
Grade: B-

Secondary: This unit came up with two interceptions that were the key to the Packers' victory. Understandably, they had trouble adjusting after losing safety Charles Woodson and nickel cornerback Sam Shields to injuries. The Packers missed Woodson's ability to blitz and they had trouble staying with the Steelers' receivers in the second half. Cornerback Tramon Williams had a couple of early pass-defenses that prevented Ben Roethlisberger from getting into a rhythm.
Grade: B+

Special Teams: Two dumb penalties on punts helped give the Steelers good field position in the second half, and the Packers didn't do a great job covering kickoffs or returning kicks. But at least they didn't allow any devastating big plays and allowed the offense and defense to win the game.
Grade: C

Coaching: Once again Mike McCarthy came out with a great game plan and jumped out to an early lead. The Steelers did come back, but McCarthy stayed aggressive on offense to maintain the lead. McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for keeping his team focused despite injuries. And he's a huge reason Rodgers is now among the elite quarterbacks in the NFL. He may not have the big personality of some coaches, but he now has the ring and doesn't need to talk a big game.
Grade: A-

"Andrew Perloff" wrote:

UserPostedImage
13 years ago
Passs/Fail

They get a P.

and a trophy.

and a parade.

and mention in the history books.
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
I think their pad level was too high........but what do I know?
LOL!
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
Get those WRs in the zone with some short, consistent high percentage throws, THEN you can start getting fancy. This will decrease the drops.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
13 years ago
haha, I was thinking the same thing Cheesy.

Something else that gets an A for me was the open field tackling. Save for a few broken arm tackles off the line by Moore and Mendenhall (sp?) the Packers did a remarkable job, IMO.
gbpfan
13 years ago
My grade is an all around A they got the trophy,that's what counts.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (12h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (15h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (15h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.