beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
LaFleaur's group of coaches sometimes have made questionable choices. And this is just a rant going through a number of them (I'm sure I'll miss some).

LaFleaur's first Packers WR coach got fired after his first season (don't know why) but Rodgers supposedly had to go beg him to put Lazard on the field when the other WRs were either injured or struggling.

The decision to let nickel CB Sullivan leave (he ended up signing for less than $2 million), and start large CB Douglas at nickel (which usually slot CBs are smaller and quick) was clearly a mistake.

WR Rodgers as returner instead of CB Nixon

Clark at 3T (3 technic pass rushing DT role on the outside of an OG shoulder) and DT Reed as the NT? I think they got that reversed, I mean, both DTs can play both roles, but Clark was naturally more of a NT and Reed was naturally more of a 3T.

Benching LT Nijman for a returning starting RT Turner, and putting Turner at LT, and keep Dennis Kelly going at RT.

I'm good with trying Jenkins at RT, but having am extremely passive OG (Newman) on the inside of an overly aggressive OT (Jenkins) was an absolutely disaster and why not changing that much sooner? Could have put Tom in at OG, or even Jenkins at RG and Newman at RT, as the OG being the more aggressive one isn't as bad scheme wise (and then you only have one bad position) the RT.

I'm good with LT Nijman for a returning LT Bakhtiari (males perfect sense) but then let the seriously struggling Newman stay in there?

Early on, in his first two seasons, they seemed to only be using Dillon between the 20 yard lines... when one would think the power back would be used for short yardage. That being said, I think this one was more of a... do we trust him with the playbook yet... I don't have any proof but it seems like it took longer for Dillon to get the full trust of others with him knowing the playbook.

And I'm sure there are many more that I have missed.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
a year ago
Of all of these the Amari Rodgers thing sticks out - how many punts does a guy need to muff before he gets benched? And not playing Nijman in the playoffs when he was doing pretty well was unfortunate.

It just goes to show that even at the highest level, there's a lot of guessing and hoping things will work out.
blank
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Of all of these the Amari Rodgers thing sticks out - how many punts does a guy need to muff before he gets benched? And not playing Nijman in the playoffs when he was doing pretty well was unfortunate.

It just goes to show that even at the highest level, there's a lot of guessing and hoping things will work out.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I couldn't believe it when the Special Teams Coordinator kept sticking up for him and refusing to pull him. It was like he was forcing the Head Coach to micromanage the team and make the decision for him. 

The OL shuffling in playoffs is mindboggling. Roll with what got you there man!! Stop outsmarting yourself!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago
Not even Nixon knew he was good at returning so I can't hold that against Matt LaFleur. Special Teams Coordinator should have cycled guys through though. 

No one was good with LG Jenkins coming off ACL at RT because everyone was told how stupid it was by yours truly. Yes, I am going to continue to beat this drum because it was the one thing in four decades I was correct about!! Buwahahahahaha

And just a heads up. Matt LaFleur does not handle personnel decisions, that is the General Manager's responsibility. You're not gonna get every release correct just like you're not gonna get every signing correct. The decisions made have been as a whole pretty damn good for the Packers on that front. 

We can bemoan the use of AJ Dillon, but I thought we bemoaned the lack of use of Aaron Jones? Maybe we just wrap it up in the running game not being utilized enough? How many of us go "deep ball" to ourselves when we see Packers 3rd and 1? 

I can't wait for the thread about LaFleur's good decisions. Positivity is awesome! I cannot wait. I hope I don't have to wait until tomorrow for it. I mean, we got the hyperbolic negative thread, so obviously there must be a positive thread coming. Ohh baby!!!!!!
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago

Not even Nixon knew he was good at returning so I can't hold that against Matt LaFleur. Special Teams Coordinator should have cycled guys through though. 

No one was good with LG Jenkins coming off ACL at RT because everyone was told how stupid it was by yours truly. Yes, I am going to continue to beat this drum because it was the one thing in four decades I was correct about!! Buwahahahahaha

And just a heads up. Matt LaFleur does not handle personnel decisions, that is the General Manager's responsibility. You're not gonna get every release correct just like you're not gonna get every signing correct. The decisions made have been as a whole pretty damn good for the Packers on that front. 

We can bemoan the use of AJ Dillon, but I thought we bemoaned the lack of use of Aaron Jones? Maybe we just wrap it up in the running game not being utilized enough? How many of us go "deep ball" to ourselves when we see Packers 3rd and 1? 

I can't wait for the thread about LaFleur's good decisions. Positivity is awesome! I cannot wait. I hope I don't have to wait until tomorrow for it. I mean, we got the hyperbolic negative thread, so obviously there must be a positive thread coming. Ohh baby!!!!!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes, the ST coach whom has worked with Nixon a ton (mostly with the Raiders) should have had some ideas of how Nixon was as a returner.

The personnel decision wasn't the problem (it was the easy solution)...

The problem was thinking Douglas (your largest, least physically quick CB) could play a role that demands physical quickness. Douglas is very quick with his mind, but not his feet.

The only thing I really want to bemoaning with Dillon as far terms of coaching, is you got a 3rd and 2... and not going to put him in and bully your way to it? Especially when it's at the point of the game you have to go for it on 4th down... 

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

The problem was thinking Douglas (your largest, least physically quick CB) could play a role that demands physical quickness. Douglas is very quick with his mind, but not his feet. 

Originally Posted by: beast 

I wasn't really sure about it myself, but as I usually try to do, I gave coaches benefit of doubt. It didn't take more than couple games for us all to be like "yeah, umm, that ain't it". I think it's hard for coaches to be quick to pull the trigger because of egos of them and the player. Sometimes though, coaches gotta protect players from themselves. 

And I see on Tweeter folks saying to put Rasul Douglas at Safety. I see that as a mistake. I think he plays best when he has one side blocked by the sidelines. I'm just not sure he should play inside.
UserPostedImage
a year ago
There have been some great safeties that have started off as cornerback. The most recent example I can think of is Charles Woodson.
Go Packers!!!!
a year ago
I think there are some reasonable questions to ask in terms of assistant coach evaluations… and it is easy to second-guess.

For example, when he hired Adam Stenovich as offensive line, coach, many questioned the decision. It turned out to be an excellent decision in my estimation.

in terms his effectiveness as offensive coordinator, I think the jury is still out.

We’ll see if Barry settles in settles in to his role more effectively this year. If not, this clearly would’ve been a bad decision. There’s a ton of talent and the defensive side of the world.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a year ago

There have been some great safeties that have started off as cornerback. The most recent example I can think of is Charles Woodson.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

You're gonna use Charles Woodson as your example? The last defensive player who won Heisman? Also won defensive player of the year? He's in the hall of fame. That's your example? Why not toss Rod Woodson on there too lol 

Usually CB gets moved to Safety because they're trying to prolong their career or they couldn't hack it at CB. Douglas is good on outside. Let's not outthink ourselves by moving him. 
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Leroy Butler was like that. Micah Hyde too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.