beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a month ago

A new metric ranks Gary first in the league in his ability to generate force on bullrush attempts.

Joseph Ferraiola, formerly of the Philadelphia Phillies  in the MLB and the NFL’s Next Gen Stats, developed an interesting methodology to shed new light on the athletic ability of pass-rushers . Using tracking data, Ferraiola developed what he calls a pass-rusher’s momentum — their speed relative to their weight at a point of contact with offensive linemen.

There need to be caveats, though, as he mentions. Interior defensive linemen, who play in a phone booth, have a weaker “momentum” rating than edge defenders. At the same time, edge defenders who bend edges also have higher “momentum” ratings than edge rushers attempting to bullrush through an offensive lineman, because benders are trying to build up speed to “half-man” an offensive tackle rather than trying to cut the distance to go through one.

One notable Green Bay Packers  player who shines in this metric is the outside linebacker-turned-defensive end Rashan Gary. Per Ferraoila, Gary ranked first in the NFL among all of the league’s edge defenders in “momentum” from Weeks 1-8 in the 2021 season. For a point of reference, the difference between Gary and the number two edge defender in the metric over that same period was roughly equal to the difference between the second-ranked and the sixth-ranked player. That’s pretty good!

The second data set that Ferraiola digs into is standalone season-long bullrush “momentum” from the 2023 season. There, again, Gary is the number one player on the list with an average momentum of 573 kg m/s. For perspective, the average number is 506 kg m/s for bullrushes and 525 kg m/s for outside moves. That 573 kg m/s figure that Gary posted in 2023 would have been good enough to lead all NFL pass-rushers in raw “momentum” in the 2021 dataset, too.

Below is the blurb the author wrote about the Michigan product:

Gary finished first in EDGE Pass Rush Momentum when I created this metric last season and he finishes first again in overall and bullrush momentum created. Gary utilized the bullrush on 30.6% of pass rushes (w/ parameters) last season causing pressure 30.2% of the time.

In this case, I would say the analytics match the film. Gary is one of the better pass-rushers, specifically because of his bullrushes, in the league. It’s why the Packer assigned him to a four-year, $96 million extension last October, despite him starting the 2023 season on a pitch count due to his ACL recovery.

Continue Reading @ Justis Mosqueda 

Justis Mosqueda wrote:

If you like nerdy stats, here is a lot, for those that don't, just know Gary has a lot of power for an Edge Rusher.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a month ago
I'm not a stats nerd so I will just say Gary is a beast. Speaking of which, I have never seen beast and Gary in the same room.

Coincidence? I think not.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a month ago

I'm not a stats nerd so I will just say Gary is a beast. Speaking of which, I have never seen beast and Gary in the same room.

Coincidence? I think not.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You also haven't seen beast and the tooth fairy in the same room. 🤯🤯
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a month ago

You also haven't seen beast and the tooth fairy in the same room. 🤯🤯

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm not Dwayne
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
27 days ago
Thanks for posting….a very interesting column

I have a couple of minor issues with some of the pretenses presented in the article, i.e, if you are a great bull rusher, you are a great pass rusher...it is a great start, but more work is needed .

I suppose to illustrate what I feel are the shortcomings, I would use examples of another sport, baseball.

For example, if I were to say that someone has the best fastball, I would seem to imply that he is one of the best pitchers, when in fact, batters can “sit-on” that fastball, rendering it less effective. In contrast, if I had a pitcher with a good fastball, a good curveball and a very good change-up, this pitcher would likely be far more effective as the batters would not know what to expect.

In Gary’s case, being only good at bull rush may speak to an overreliance on the move and/or a lack of willingness to learn or implement an effective swim, stab, or push/pull move, to the detriment of his overall effectiveness as a pass rusher.

The article also says,

At the same time, edge defenders who bend edges also have higher “momentum” ratings than edge rushers attempting to bullrush through an offensive lineman, because benders are trying to build up speed to “half-man” an offensive tackle rather than trying to cut the distance to go through one.

True, as far as it goes, but the implication is that bull-rushers need to make a complete frontal assault. Some very effective bull rush techniques “half-man” the offensive lineman so the two are not mutually exclusive.

To the main point.......The article, however is outstanding and worth the read.

Moreover, should Gary develop a second strong technique, it would greatly improve his overall effectiveness.

Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
beast (18h) : On the other hand, no state tax, to very high state tax, and you just built a brand new personally designed home in Vegas
beast (18h) : I wonder if Adams would fight that... on one hand, even closer to family and a better chance to win now
Zero2Cool (8-Aug) : 49ers trying to get Davante Adams??
Zero2Cool (8-Aug) : Now it seems snappy again
Zero2Cool (8-Aug) : Kind of messed up. Before that shout, I said "woohoo!"
Zero2Cool (8-Aug) : and website back to slowville.
wpr (8-Aug) : My mom turned 90 today. Quite a feat. Then again her twin brothers are 93.
Zero2Cool (7-Aug) : Sure feels much more snappy
Martha Careful (7-Aug) : I replied on the prototype website as well. For me , the new site is much much faster. I use Brave browser
Zero2Cool (7-Aug) : New. Web. Host.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8-Aug / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8-Aug / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / wpr

8-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6-Aug / Random Babble / beast

6-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.