Tezzy
14 years ago
2. My wife and I have saved hundreds of dollars not buying each other cards for any occasion. Generally if we are at the store and something is coming up in the next week or so, we'll pop off and find a card we would have bought, and show it to them there at the store. It's quite entertaining actually and you can "give" more than one card at the same time.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

We don't buy textbooks at UW-L. We rent them. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

We had to buy them.. but there was about 20 of us that co-oped the books.. all business/finance majors.. we build a mini library between us all..

Once in a while we had a conflict over time vs book available.. but for the most part it was a workable way of keeping more coin in our pockets.. I fail to remember what we did with the books at the end of the four years.. damn maybe I left some money on the table in the hurry to run from the institution. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

College textbooks....where do I start?

1. If they are so expensive, why buy them? Don't give me the "it's required" argument either. There's not a professor I know who runs around dorms checking who bought the textbook and who didn't.

1A. People buy textbooks because they consider them a helluva lot more convenient way to acquire certain information than the alternative. They don't want to spend the time looking for cheaper copies. Or doing the extra work of figuring out what is missing from old editions. Most importantly, they don't want to spend the time looking and evaluating and interpreting all the information that the textbook author and publisher have distilled down for you for a couple hundred bucks or less. Neither would I. Because that would cost a shitload more than the couple hundred bucks you pay for a high end chemistry or economics text.

1B. There's not a textbook used in university classrooms that, if the student put in sufficient effort to figure out what it says and means, doesn't yield value far greater than the price.

2. "But the professor never uses the book." It's not the professor's book. It's your book. *You* are the one who is supposed to use it.

2A. Okay, your professor is an asshole and incompetent besides. (Well, I told you not to take my class, but that's another discussion). What has that to do with your textbook's value. You can only get value from a book if someone tells you what to highlight and memorize and quote on the Fox network? It's called "reading."

3. "But I'm only going to read it this semester and the bookstore is going to screw me on the resale price." You buy a book for its resale value? What? If you're trying to find an investment, go to the financial times online or call your broker or figure out a way to buy some of that cheap real estate sitting unsold. Oh, I forgot, that "flipping real estate" idea isn't working so good now either, is it?

4. If you think you're college education is overpriced, I'm with you. But it's not overpriced because of book costs. Its overpriced because too many of your professors haven't got a clue, and because colleges have gone away from their core competencies (yes, we do have some) and tried to compete in markets where they can't compete without conning the government and donors out of money -- i.e., health club-level facilties for the college community, professional sports teams, restaurant-level food service, suburban apartment quality living spaces, golf-course level groundskeeping, corporate HQ architecture for their administrators, etc.

4A. Frankly, IMO, I think a lot of students would be better off by tripling their book budgets and cancelling their tuition fees. And then get a dishwashing job, and spend their free time finding a basement or attic apartment reading for a couple years.

5. I rarely ask my students to buy mega-buck, new-edition-every-year textbooks. Not because those books lack value greater than their price, though. Because I can find a set of "non-textbook" books that give even more value. Assuming I can persuade my students to put in the effort to draw the value out of them by reading, taking notes, thinking of hypotheticals, doing discussion questions, re-reading, etc.

5A. And the same goes for those "50 cent" DVDs. Yes, it only costs 50 cents to make the physical DVD. But it isn't the seller's cost that matters in determining the price -- its the value a buyer expects to get. Consider your music collection and what's in it and what's not. If you don't like an artist, you won't pay 50 cents for their CD. If you think the artist is the greatest thing since Nightwish or Elvis or the Beatles, you'll pay full CD price.

"Wade" wrote:

Well said Wade.

Forgive the cliche, but if you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Textbooks are generally worth a heck of a lot more than the $100 or so you pay for them. There are plenty of classes I took in college that I'll never use in real life, but you know what? They made me a better person. I'm glad I took classes like biology, evolution, history, etc. I am smarter now and more rounded.

Sure, you can learn that stuff on your own but how many people truly can? A college classroom is still a great way to get an education and the textbook is your cheat sheet. Read it, and take good notes as you're reading it.

I didn't go to school for the grades or to make money. I went for the same reason why Rodney Dangerfield's son went in the movie Back to School. I wanted to get educated.

I really hate the term "the real world." Whatever. I could already fix cars and manage my checking/savings accounts before I finished my college education and was good at blue collar work because that's how I grew up. The six years I spent in college (four for undergrad, 2 for grad school before I dropped out) helped make me a better person.

(And NSD, that's yet another reason I hate Kiyosaki is he's very anti-college).

1. I knew that, but bought them anyways because as I said, they're a good cheat sheet.

1A. Yup. My time is worth more to me than the money I'd save.

2. I have had professors use the books and professors who didn't. And professors who wrote the book.

2A. I never had a professor that I truly didn't like. I've had jerks, but I still learned something from them so I respected them for that.

3. Take good notes and keep the notes. I don't get why people take a class for the grade then forget what they learned. I wanted my learning to stay with me, not leak out as soon as I got my grade.

4. I don't. If you think education is expensive, start at a community college for 2 years and then go to a state college. You'll learn the same s*** that you'd learn at an expensive college. Plus in a state college, you'll get to know your profs to the point that you'll be drinking beers at their houses. Less likely to happen in a big school.

4A. Screw that. Working and going to school at the same time is too much. Interest on student loans is tax deductible. Plus, I need my beauty sleep.

5. Cool on your part. I imagine you can get some good books from Amazon that will say the same things a textbook would say.

5A. Thanks for making me feel old, Wade. When I went to school, DVDs didn't exist.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Seriously.. once you have read the textbook.. what the hell good is it to you?

With the amount of information upon the internet in today's word.. why hold onto the damn thing? Even in my day.. late 80's early 90's of college.. one could always go to a library and find the information if needed.. the internet wasn't near the data store with search engines crawling it is today..

I didn't like shelling out cash for a book that I may use for what 20 to 40 hours over the course of several months and then dump it back for less than half of the money shelled out..

But then again.. I am anti purchasing of these "soft" goods.. something that has a limited life cycle to me and then will sit on a shelf and collect dust.. the included CD's, Books, DVD's and such.. so I am probably biased towards the concept in the first place.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Pack - convenience. All the info I need in one place. Worth the time saved looking for it.

The only I get, the more I realize that the only 2 personal things that matter are your time and your health. Anything that can save time is a good thing.

So I lose $50. So what? Much better than wasting time trying to find that info elsewhere.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Zombie.. I compartmentalize my life.. and time always seems more valuable that it possibly in reality can be.. and to be honest, my thoughts are just for that.

If I have this collection of books upon the shelf.. and I want to find the data.. I first have to remember which book it was in.. then after I jog my memory to which book it is in, then I have to find the indexed pages of the information and then start to consume the data.

With today's world.. I can refine my internet search to the same data with more sources in more than likely less time it takes to find it in the book.. not to mention with this method, it doesn't require me to be at home by the book or carry the book just in case...

It is all about time.. and conserving my efforts where I can to preserve more of it for things such as this.. lol.

Example.. I currently have three browser pages open.. one C # and the other for SOAP protocols for popping a new web service for our part department to index their parts via old order numbers based on a work order search on their hand held over the intranet here.. lol.

Hell if I am going to pick up my C# book for reference code and efficiency..

BTW.. another thing a textbook can't do.. stay relevant to an ever changing world.. my textbook becomes a dinosaur in months if not weeks. lol.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I buy bottled water when I'm out at a restaurant or cafe. I can't stand the taste of tap water and I don't trust public taps. I have a very expensive filter at home which we fill up glass jars for potable chilled water, with which we can adjust the acidity/alkalinity of the water (yes, I've verified that it does work with litmus paper).

As for text books, often I found that lecturers followed the textbook quite closely or the information contained within the textbook expanded upon the lecture materials. Sure you can borrow them from the library to save costs. But other textbooks and the internet doesn't always have the information available (especially with certain subjects) or there isn't an adequate discussion in them or they go off on tangents. I don't mind paying for textbooks because they are a repository of information which I can retain and reuse, for the most part.

Putting on my cynical hat for a moment, life is a game and success is the product of how well you can play it to your advantage. Most students just want to pass the unit and have very little interest in the subject matter otherwise. I've read textbooks cover to cover but it sure as hell wasn't because I was thrilled with accounting theory. Especially when you have several units in a semester with every professor expecting you to put in a disproportionate amount of hours for his/her unit, there isn't much scope for wasting time. Already there is a lot of information overload just from following a specifically tailored textbook. There's just no time for your typical student to be reading spurious information in a non-assigned textbook for background reading. Hell I've gone through units with just reading the lecture notes without buying a textbook, but not necessarily because of costs saved. This sounds like I've done a 180 from my previous paragraph on the validity of expensive textbooks. Let me rephrase - when you're in the process of studying the unit, you'll take any advantage you can get - even if it's paying $100 for a textbook you wouldn't otherwise buy. There is a certain convenience and security in doing so, and the time I save and gain better marks is worth it in my opinion. Hell, if I could download knowledge to my brain The Matrix style and pay $1000 for every unit I'd do that.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Zombie.. I compartmentalize my life.. and time always seems more valuable that it possibly in reality can be.. and to be honest, my thoughts are just for that.

If I have this collection of books upon the shelf.. and I want to find the data.. I first have to remember which book it was in.. then after I jog my memory to which book it is in, then I have to find the indexed pages of the information and then start to consume the data.

With today's world.. I can refine my internet search to the same data with more sources in more than likely less time it takes to find it in the book.. not to mention with this method, it doesn't require me to be at home by the book or carry the book just in case...

It is all about time.. and conserving my efforts where I can to preserve more of it for things such as this.. lol.

Example.. I currently have three browser pages open.. one C # and the other for SOAP protocols for popping a new web service for our part department to index their parts via old order numbers based on a work order search on their hand held over the intranet here.. lol.

Hell if I am going to pick up my C# book for reference code and efficiency..

BTW.. another thing a textbook can't do.. stay relevant to an ever changing world.. my textbook becomes a dinosaur in months if not weeks. lol.

"pack93z" wrote:

I bought a C# 2008 book because they want me to learn C#, well, I have no choice in the matter. The rest of the team knows C#, but not VB.NET.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Pack - I didn't know what the internet was until 1996, which was after I graduated college. So maybe half the stuff I'm saying is completely outdated.

So yes, maybe you can find stuff on the internet faster than I can find things in a textbook.

Kind of weird how things change.

And yes, textbooks become obsolete fast, especially software ones. Those become obsolete every time a new version comes out, which is like almost every year.

Eng - Depends on the tap water.

I really hate how these writers say how great tap water is. They don't take into account the pipes.

We have EXCELLENT tap water where I live. One problem, we live in an apartment complex with old pipes. Thus, by the time the otherwise excellent tap water reaches us, it's crap and not drinkable.

So yes, we need to filter it. If we were living in a brand new house with brand new pipes, we'd be drinking from the tap.

Colorado Springs had hands down the best tap water I've ever tasted. Spent 4 summers there and the tap water was delicious. Grandma had a pretty new house so it had new pipes. That water had the right amount of minerals too so I'm sure it was good for you as well as tasting great.

I imagine in your tap water, you have kangaroos peeing in it and human body parts floating in it (half eaten by crocodiles). So yeah, I wouldn't drink that tap water either without a filter.

Good argument about the books. Thus again goes back to my argument about saving time, which besides your health is the most precious thing you got.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
I finished the bulk of my studies about the same time.. albeit after undergrad I choose to pick and choose particular classes that find needs and interests while working in La Crosse... but about the same time frame.. but I held the same concept then about the value of a text book.. and have revamped that over time..

As time progresses I find myself reading less books, especially fiction and reading more overall because of time invested online.

But if I was attending college now.. I would buy the book or in some fashion have access to it physically.. but I see no value in keeping it post class.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (11m) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (19m) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

22h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.