buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

I really hope he decides to take a pay cut. Regardless, if his numbers are going down, as was shown in another thread. We are playing a 3-4 which requires different execution than last year, so I expected him to get less tackles with another linebacker in there. Even with the change in defense Hawk is a very talented player on our defense but maybe just not a $4.1 mil player.

"wpr" wrote:

Why should he take a pay cut? Packers don't need him, trade him or release him, there are 31 other teams out there, many I bet would love to have AJ Hawk. At his current salary.

He gets 9 plays because of the scheme The Packers decide to play, I guess that makes him a bust!!!

Way to go Ted another #1 pick you wasted, let's see that makes you pretty much 1 for 5.
Time to get another GM, one who can draft quality players in the first round.

Hell even AROD has a losing record, maybe I should adjust that to 0-5.

TED THOMPSON MUST GO, HE HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Technically Ted has only had 4 1st round picks and if you thinnk Aaron is a bust despite his record you are crazy.
Further more there is no way you can label Raji a bust this is his 1st year.
So your whole post while it is mean, it is actually meaningless.

Edit- carp I was on the phone and forgot 2 1st this year. Matthews i anything but a bust.

"coltonja" wrote:

How do you know, Hawk led the team in tackles his rookie year, was either 1st or 2nd his 2nd year, now becuase he was slowed by injury his 3rd year and was moved to a position he had never played, and is not being utilized this year, because of a new system he is labeled a bust!!!

So calling Teds other 4 1st rnd picks busts, is not that much different.

A-rod has a losing record, the other two couldn't even start at the beginning of the season, so unless they actually contribute the next 4 years, they are currently busts.

If you don't see the sarcasm in my posts, then realize I am damn tired of some on this forum calling players busts when all they are doing is there jobs!!!!

I applaud Hawk for being damn mad that he isn't getting playing time, a lot of guys would just go sit down and collect their paycheck and not worry about it.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

I really hope he decides to take a pay cut. Regardless, if his numbers are going down, as was shown in another thread. We are playing a 3-4 which requires different execution than last year, so I expected him to get less tackles with another linebacker in there. Even with the change in defense Hawk is a very talented player on our defense but maybe just not a $4.1 mil player.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Why should he take a pay cut? Packers don't need him, trade him or release him, there are 31 other teams out there, many I bet would love to have AJ Hawk. At his current salary.

He gets 9 plays because of the scheme The Packers decide to play, I guess that makes him a bust!!!

Way to go Ted another #1 pick you wasted, let's see that makes you pretty much 1 for 5.
Time to get another GM, one who can draft quality players in the first round.

Hell even AROD has a losing record, maybe I should adjust that to 0-5.

TED THOMPSON MUST GO, HE HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!!

"wpr" wrote:

Technically Ted has only had 4 1st round picks and if you thinnk Aaron is a bust despite his record you are crazy.
Further more there is no way you can label Raji a bust this is his 1st year.
So your whole post while it is mean, it is actually meaningless.

Edit- carp I was on the phone and forgot 2 1st this year. Matthews i anything but a bust.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

How do you know, Hawk led the team in tackles his rookie year, was either 1st or 2nd his 2nd year, now becuase he was slowed by injury his 3rd year and was moved to a position he had never played, and is not being utilized this year, because of a new system he is labeled a bust!!!

So calling Teds other 4 1st rnd picks busts, is not that much different.

A-rod has a losing record, the other two couldn't even start at the beginning of the season, so unless they actually contribute the next 4 years, they are currently busts.

If you don't see the sarcasm in my posts, then realize I am damn tired of some on this forum calling players busts when all they are doing is there jobs!!!!

I applaud Hawk for being damn mad that he isn't getting playing time, a lot of guys would just go sit down and collect their paycheck and not worry about it.

"coltonja" wrote:

Sorry I missed the sarcasm. I guess that is what happens when I am doing two things at the same time. -1 for me.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago

In general, Hawk hasn't yet demonstrated the ability to be impactful and to make plays outside of his own responsibility on a play-by-play basis.

That is something Barnett did against the Lions.

Ugh, spare me with with the whole "Barnett makes impact plays b.s." He made one play against the sad Lions and turned into a Samurai.

But there is still the issue of Hawk's performance. He ranks eighth on the team with 21 tackles and has yet to produce a sack or a tackle for a loss or deflected a pass.

Well, if Hawk is only playing 9 snaps in one game can this possibly lead to his production rate?

I swear, if the Packers get rid of Hawk come the end of the season I will be extremely pissed off. No, its not because I am attached to him as a fan...its because when he is on the field he makes plays. To be a good player, every play doesn't have to be an impact play. Hawk is our impact player.

Hawk>Barnett
Hawk>Bishop
Hawk>Chillar

Boom.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
The performance of our LBrs shouldn't even be a big topic of conversation right now, especially after holding Peterson to 2.2 ypc. I feel like this is just fallout from last season when we couldn't get enough of attacking them. As a group they are performing admirably.
UserPostedImage
matteogb4
14 years ago
that's only because he doesn't make big plays but i think he is making the dirty job...so please, coaching staff put him in the conditions to make a big plays...

i think i have read somewhere that clay's big plays on sunday happened when aj was on the field taking block off from him
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
You don't change a defense so one of your players can perform better, you do it so the unit as a whole will play better football. Our defense as a whole uis no worse than they where as a 4-3 last year and this is in the very first year of the transistion. Hawk, however, has been going on with his steady decline since his first season.

I know that Hawk picks up a lot of blockers, but he still doesn't play with that fiery mentality. The wait and see aproach worked great at times in the slower college game, but it doesn't here.

Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player. He's a pretty sure tackler, sees the play develop and sacrifices himself a lot by just plugging the gap, but currently, he's being outplayed by Clay Matthews and Brandon Chillar.

He's just not worth what we're currently paying him, if you ask me. Barnett is still the better player out of the two. Even in this scheme. Our coaching staff sees that as well, obviously. If he doesn't take a pay cut, we're still deep enough, as the article mentions. Go with Barnett - Chiller as the starters, Bishop as the primary back-up and groom a 4th-6th rounder.
warhawk
14 years ago
Hawk is a good player but I think with the 3-4 he is not the athlete you see at LB in other really good 3-4 defenses.

If you look at the interior LB's on the big time 3-4 defenses it's fairly obvious Hawk is not that kind of player in terms of speed and just overall athletic ability.

Bishop moves around out there more like a 3-4 interior LB. The problem is too often he moves too far out of his responsibility at times and is inconsistant or he would be on the field more too.

The flip side of this is how well Chillar has responded to the new scheme. At the end of the day that's what's keeping Hawk off the field more. We all wondered who might pop out and really take off in this defense and Chillar has been far and away the big surprise guy there.

It's pretty simple. If Hawk wants more snaps he has to figure out how to play better than Chillar and there are portions of games where it seems like he's in on almost every play.
"The train is leaving the station."
DanJustDan29
14 years ago
Desmond Bishop should be getting more snaps....
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Stevetarded
14 years ago

that's only because he doesn't make big plays but i think he is making the dirty job...so please, coaching staff put him in the conditions to make a big plays...

i think i have read somewhere that clay's big plays on sunday happened when aj was on the field taking block off from him

"matteogb4" wrote:

Absolutely 0 of Clay's big plays had anything to do with Hawk. Funny thing is that Chillar actually helped on the 2nd sack, him and Jenkins got in on Culpepper and forced him to try and run out of pocket and he ran right into Clay.
blank
TengoJuego
14 years ago

Desmond Bishop should be getting more snaps....

"DanJustDan29" wrote:

I REALLY wish he would play more downs. I'd like to see what he can do in the regular season against #1's.