Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

I was thinking back to how I got so lucky with my wife.. And I remembered back when we were first dating, I wasn't one of those zipper in the back type of boyfriends that was pussy whipped. I told her how it was, how I was, and how if she tried to eff it up, that she was taking the shoe leather express to her next relationship. She totally respected that and me, and I fell in love.

One thing I learned from her is how as much as she wants to be loved, I want to be respected. I think it's like that with most males/females.

"Formo" wrote:

I wish I could give you a +1 for every word of this post. You have some gems of wisdom in there that more men need to take to heart.

You're absolutely right. Marriage isn't about luck. Marriage is about honesty and defining roles. If people were truly honest about who they are when they're dating, then they'd either a) breakup and save themselves a life of heartache or b) have much happier marriages because there were no false illusions. But people invest so freaking much into their romantic relationships that they become terrified of losing them, convincing themselves they'll never be able to find another one. The idea of "soulmates" causes so much damage for this reason. I think men who shoot themselves after finding their wives in bed with other men are idiots. Let her go and find someone else. Why lower yourself like that? There are more women than men in the world; someone will want you.

Like you, I wasn't a pussy-whipped boyfriend. I told my then girlfriend who I was and what I wanted, even if it meant being brutally honest and risking hurting her feelings. Hell, on our wedding day, as I was getting ready to walk out onto the altar, I said to her, "I don't think monogamy is natural, but I'll give it my best shot. For now." She knew what she had in me. She had no false illusions.

The most powerful word a man can learn to use with a woman is "No" -- and women WANT to hear it from us. They will goad us into situations precisely because they want us to bring them into control. Not to be controlling, mind you, but to be in control. I think whoever wrote Tim McGraw's song "Just to See You Smile" should be shot and Tim McGraw should be drawn and quartered for purveying this slop to the masses:

You always had an eye for things that glittered
But I was far from bein' made of gold
I don't know how that I scraped up the money
I just never could quite tell you "no"
Just like when you were leavin' Amarillo
To take that new job in Tennessee
And I quit mine so we could be together
I can't forget the way you looked at me

Just to see you smile
I'd do anything
That you wanted me to

And when all is said and done
I'd never count the cost
It's worth all that's lost
Just to see you smile

When you said time was all you really needed
I walked away and let you have your space
'Cause leavin' didn't hurt me near as badly
As the tears I saw rollin' down your face
And yesterday I knew just what you wanted
When you came walkin' up to me with him
So I told you that I was happy for you
And given the chance I'd lie again

Those are the words of a classically pussy-whipped man who, in my opinion, deserves every bit of heartache he has coming to him. It still pisses me off that the "manly man" Tim McGraw actually consented to sing that. I guarantee if he let Faith Hill walk all over him like that, she would have left him years ago.

But overall, the wisest thing you have to say is that women want to be loved, men want to be respected. This is so true. The failure to understand this fundamental concept is the source of so much friction in so many relationships. Countless men don't understand why their wives aren't responsive to them when they show them respect; it's because women want to know, first and foremost, that you love them more than anyone or anything else (other than God). If they know that, they'll give you anything -- ANYTHING. Similarly, women don't understand why, when they lavish their men with so much love, they still react violently to even subtle displays of disrespect. Men need respect, they crave it from their innermost being. I know I personally couldn't give two shits how much my wife thinks she loves me if she shows disrespect to me. My wife came from homes in which the women wore the pants, and we had to address that issue decisively very early on.

If more men would show more love to their wives and more women showed more respect to their husbands, we'd have a lot more happier marriages in the world. And neither love nor respect are feelings -- they are conscious, deliberate actions that must be repeated over and over.

Formo, you should add your post to the marital advice thread. It's priceless.

But we are way off topic here. Or are we? 😉
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
speaking for the females, i need & give love AND respect. not one or the other but both.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
They're both necessary -- I totally agree. But I know a lot of wives who give only love and not respect, and that isn't enough. Similarly, you can love your wife all you want (that guy in the song sure loves his wife, doesn't he?), but if you don't respect yourself and her enough to set boundaries, she'll grow dissatisfied quickly.

Thanks for that.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
I am a newlywed and well, not much convincing needed since almost half my clothing items have something Packers on it. She understands the seriousness of Packers football.

If she wants to do something while other games are on, sometimes I won't mind because we barely see each other during the week working full-time and going to grad school.

BUT, if the Packers are on...all attention is on the game. It is 3-4 hours...

No woman should deny any man of a Packers game!!! (or vice versa :icon_smile: )
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
a few comments ...

Nonstop +1 for that Awesome post

alls I know is the women in the states are lucky they are not here in britain. They have soccer 10 months out of the year and these fanatics can be scary; causing riots; getting into fights etc ...

I got a friend that cant watch the pack games all the time because his wife - I feel sorry for him. It sounds like his wifes 'shows' are more important then some football or something.

btw back to what nonstop and our MN fan said ... I am really starting to see the light when it comes to being honest; not just with the woman you love but with yourself, friends, boss etc ...

feels much more peaceful and it is where you truely want to be anyways ... I used to be the opposite afraid to say what I think and feel. I am learning and teaching myself to being real.

again thanks for the great posts guys
4PackGirl
14 years ago

They're both necessary -- I totally agree. But I know a lot of wives who give only love and not respect, and that isn't enough. Similarly, you can love your wife all you want (that guy in the song sure loves his wife, doesn't he?), but if you don't respect yourself and her enough to set boundaries, she'll grow dissatisfied quickly.

Thanks for that.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

totally understand what you're saying here, non. i've been guilty of it more than once - the not giving respect part. but after alot of thought, this is what i think happens:

i'm dealing with two 7 year old boys that i forget my husband isn't a 7 year old boy. what i mean to say is, i get in mommy mode (tell them what to do, when to do it, how to do it) & when he comes home - i forget he's an actual adult who can make up his own friggin mind.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Back in 2005, shortly after getting married, I had a big argument with my wife about being able to watch football on Sundays. She did not understand why I had to watch every packer game on Sunday as opposed to just a couple every now and then. It took some serious reasoning to convince her of the importance of watching the Packers game.

What about the rest of you?

Did you have fight to arrange football days with your spouse?

Does your spouse watch the game with you?

Or are you in your third marriage because Sundays are precious?

"dyeah_gb" wrote:

I'm not married. That should answer any and all questions just asked. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Thanks for that.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

totally understand what you're saying here, non. i've been guilty of it more than once - the not giving respect part. but after alot of thought, this is what i think happens:

i'm dealing with two 7 year old boys that i forget my husband isn't a 7 year old boy. what i mean to say is, i get in mommy mode (tell them what to do, when to do it, how to do it) & when he comes home - i forget he's an actual adult who can make up his own friggin mind.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yup. Very true.

Also, I know it sounds pig headish.. But the male ego doesn't take to being told what to do by anyone, especially their better halves. It's just the way we are.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
4PackGirl
14 years ago
unfortunately (for my husband) i don't like to be told what to do either. one of my worst traits at times & one of my best at others. i'm a very independent person which is one of the things he loves the most about me. he's still trying to figure out those few & far between times that i just need to be a 'princess'!!! LOLOLOL!!!
Heatherthepackgirl
14 years ago
I never mind if my husband wants to watch football, I myself love to watch football, now if it became an everyday thing 24 hours a day then maybe I would mind, because you have to do things together as a family to and make time for each other. But there is nothing wrong with taking a few hours every week to veg out in front of a TV set everyone needs to relax and do something they love to do. If I didnt watch football I would find something else to do while my husband watches it, but again we dont have this problem because we both are sitting in front of the TV set rooting for our favorite team/teams to win. I think its a little obsessive for a woman to not give her man 3 hours or a whole frickin Sunday to watch football!!
Heathiee
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (46m) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (9h) : NOT
wpr (9h) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Random Babble / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.