bigfog
15 years ago
Despite the Vikings, I enjoy living in Minnesota. Trees, generally nice people (not Minneapolis people though) and plenty of outdoorsy things to do. Overall, a nice place to be.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Really nice stories here! Funny thing is, San Diego is a sister city to the city I live in, Perth Australia.

Here's a picture and panorama of Perth for those interested (2nd picture is really big):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kings_Park_War_Memorial_Sunrise_2.jpg 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Perth_foreshore_panorama.jpg 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Most_Livable_Cities 

And for those that might have wondered, my avatar is the proposed development for the Perth foreshore (which I will hopefully have a hand in its engineering/construction).
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
A couple of questions to try an truly answer your question personally..

As always it's never too early to plan, and I thought I'd like to ask what other people have experienced and plan a trip one day or to relocate to the States.

What type of career? I assume someplace within the engineering field, but narrow that up a bit?

Are you more city or country?

What types of hobbies do you enjoy?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago
My word. I keep hearing the earthquake stuff from non-Californians and let me just tell you I'd take an earthquake any day of the week over a tornado, a hurricane, a flash flood, and a good ol' Mid-western storm.

I've been in all of them and with an earthquake, if you die, you die. But with the rest, if you survive, you have to deal with everything being broken, insurance companies, possibly being homeless, etc.

Earthquakes aren't that bad and you're a heck of a lot more likely to win the lottery than die in an earthquake.

After all, that horrible, terrible, infamous earthquake in 1989 that caused so much damage and misery where the Bay Bridge collapsed - 1 person died. One. Uno. Une. Ichi. That's it. One person.

So don't worry about California. It's safe. I had a Geology Professor in college who used to say "whatever you do, don't buy land in California because 95 million years from now, the Californian plate will be under Alaska."

Weather is great here. It's Winter and I got a t-shirt on. Politics on the other hand...
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago

My word. I keep hearing the earthquake stuff from non-Californians and let me just tell you I'd take an earthquake any day of the week over a tornado, a hurricane, a flash flood, and a good ol' Mid-western storm.

I've been in all of them and with an earthquake, if you die, you die. But with the rest, if you survive, you have to deal with everything being broken, insurance companies, possibly being homeless, etc.

Earthquakes aren't that bad and you're a heck of a lot more likely to win the lottery than die in an earthquake.

After all, that horrible, terrible, infamous earthquake in 1989 that caused so much damage and misery where the Bay Bridge collapsed - 1 person died. One. Uno. Une. Ichi. That's it. One person.

So don't worry about California. It's safe. I had a Geology Professor in college who used to say "whatever you do, don't buy land in California because 95 million years from now, the Californian plate will be under Alaska."

Weather is great here. It's Winter and I got a t-shirt on. Politics on the other hand...

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I agree with you Zombie! I have been through some earth quakes now, the highest one being 5.5 that one I definitely felt, pictures on my wall swaying back and forth, but before you realize what is going on, its over with. I don't ever want to experience a bigger one, but I look at life, what is meant happen in ones life will happen you cannot be worried or scared, take each day and cherish it. California is a beautiful place, one thing that I love is it might get hot during the day but you always have cooler weather in the evenings so you can always get a good night sleep, also there is no mosquitoes here. 🙂
Heathiee
dhazer
15 years ago
I was born in Encino Cali and i go back to cali every few years to visit my mom and uncle. I was raised just north of Green Bay and out of the 2 i would take Wisconsin in a heartbeat. I now live in PA and it is a very beautiful state but not a place to live messed up taxes and hard to find a place to buy beer lol. Cali has may to much concrete for me. Now up by Mount Shasta is beautiful but i just can't handle all the illegals. Plus the people in california are weird they turn on there heat when the temps get down to 60 but yet they all go running out to the ocean front to watch water spouts ( tornados on the ocean). I have friends in Australia that want me to come visit but damn $2800 for a plane ticket is a little to pricey for me right now. I want to retire either back in Wisconsin or in Alaska (never been there but it is right up my alley) i would love to live off the land.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago
I've lived in Wisconsin, Kansas City, New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona.

Arizona sucked, the rest were/are great.
blank
TheEngineer
15 years ago

As always it's never too early to plan, and I thought I'd like to ask what other people have experienced and plan a trip one day or to relocate to the States.

"pack93z" wrote:

What type of career? I assume someplace within the engineering field, but narrow that up a bit?

I'm a civil/structural engineer, or at least that will be my graduate employment. Who knows what I'll get into after that though! I'm mostly interested in building construction, so I'll probably stay around cities while working. When I retire though I'll be looking for a (relatively) quiet town to live in.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I agree with you Zombie! I have been through some earth quakes now, the highest one being 5.5 that one I definitely felt, pictures on my wall swaying back and forth, but before you realize what is going on, its over with. I don't ever want to experience a bigger one, but I look at life, what is meant happen in ones life will happen you cannot be worried or scared, take each day and cherish it. California is a beautiful place, one thing that I love is it might get hot during the day but you always have cooler weather in the evenings so you can always get a good night sleep, also there is no mosquitoes here. :)

"Heatherthepackgirl" wrote:

That's the thing. It's gorgeous. Best place I've ever been to for outdoor photography (except New Zealand, sorry California). Babes everywhere too.

Anyways, I've been through the worst quakes and they're not that bad. House shakes. Heh, one time, I was playing the electric guitar and thought my amp was too loud before I realized it was a quake.

the thing is, when it's over, it's over. When a hurricane is over, it's not over. It will be months before you cleaned up the mess. Same with a tornado. We don't get either of those.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"TheEngineer" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

I'm a civil/structural engineer, or at least that will be my graduate employment. Who knows what I'll get into after that though! I'm mostly interested in building construction, so I'll probably stay around cities while working. When I retire though I'll be looking for a (relatively) quiet town to live in.

Chico, California. That's where I'm retiring.

The town Aaron Rodgers is from. :thumbleft:

It's gorgeous. It's mellow. It's slow. The outdoors are great. And you can walk everywhere. Don't even need a car. 45 minute drive to skiing/snowboarding. 2 1/2 hr drive to San Francisco.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (19h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (20h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.