wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

The NFL is considering Green Bay, Detroit and Washington, D.C., as the hosts for the 2024 NFL draft. That's the word from Packers President Mark Murphy, who told reporters today that the homes of the Packers, Lions and Commanders are in the running. The NFL owners are expected to choose the site of the 2024 [more]

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith 

Michael David Smith wrote:

It would be interesting to see the drft in Green Bay. I have a very hard time believing the NFL will actually give them the venue. Not enough luxury beds for all the celebrities at NFL, Inc, media, players and so on. I don't think they need as much capacity as they would for the Super Bowl but I will believe it when they announce it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
My guess it the draft will be in Detroit. The NFL loves to toss little meaningless breadcrumbs to teams like Green Bay. WTF, I mean the Commodores have not served their penalty time out yet. If it all blows up in Snyder's face the NFL can't look like they are sanctioning his bad behavior.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Yeah, in the past, Goodell has professional suggested big NFL events (and they're trying to make the NFL Draft a big week long event) need a lot of big city things...

Which isn't surprising, but Goodell did that after someone brought up the idea of big NFL events in Green Bay.

In other words, he wasn't directly saying no... but he was totally saying no, sorry.

Now things can always change, and maybe the NFL draft has run the course with the big cities and there isn't another great location

I mean, I don't think you want to be in Washington during an Election year, especially when Congress is investigating the NFL because of the Washington Team Owner, that screams potential P.R. nightmare. Of course they could ignore that, the NFL is good at ignoring that... but are they willing to take the risk that everyone else including the politicians, if ore that and the Washington owners finally gets his stuff in order.

So I expect it to be Detroit.

Though, I also believe Goodell also hinted at that if they ever split up the draft, having a different day in a different city, that Green Bay could be in line then.

Say, Day 1 and Day 2 in Detroit, then day 3 in Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Also, Mark Murphy keeps making these public announcements every year, that they're trying and they're finalist, etc etc.

Mark Murphy knows the NFL isn't as likely to give them a shot... so why is he setting up and raising the Packers fans expectations by doing this?

Either
1) He's trying to get an atta boy and get some credit and show he's trying... but I'm not aware of anyone pressuring him for this, but there is a lot of inner Green Bay stuff I'm not aware of.

Or

2) He's raising Packers fans expectations, that some day we'll get the draft, as an attempt to both put more pressure on Goodell to someday select Green Bay, but also make sure fans get excited and truely pack the place should it ever happen.

I think it's #2, which if so, interesting that Murphy is trying to backhanded pressure Goodell, and if so, give him credit for trying. Though if it's #1, then shame on him for just getting our hopes up.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

Yeah, in the past, Goodell has professional suggested big NFL events (and they're trying to make the NFL Draft a big week long event) need a lot of big city things...

Which isn't surprising, but Goodell did that after someone brought up the idea of big NFL events in Green Bay.

In other words, he wasn't directly saying no... but he was totally saying no, sorry.

Now things can always change, and maybe the NFL draft has run the course with the big cities and there isn't another great location

I mean, I don't think you want to be in Washington during an Election year, especially when Congress is investigating the NFL because of the Washington Team Owner, that screams potential P.R. nightmare. Of course they could ignore that, the NFL is good at ignoring that... but are they willing to take the risk that everyone else including the politicians, if ore that and the Washington owners finally gets his stuff in order.

So I expect it to be Detroit.

Though, I also believe Goodell also hinted at that if they ever split up the draft, having a different day in a different city, that Green Bay could be in line then.

Say, Day 1 and Day 2 in Detroit, then day 3 in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Day 3 in Green Bay would make sense. You don't need the high profile NFL execs or media personalities. They can keep their desks in Detroit and do a remote. Put a screen up in Resch Center and have media people running in and out of the stadium/ Hall of Fame and so on.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Green Bay DESERVES it. They have shown that a small city can make it in the NFL. It's not fair to punish GB because it's not a "big city". There are PLENTY of hotels that are close. And bars and other "big city" stuff. It's not the Green Bay of 1950.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

Green Bay DESERVES it. They have shown that a small city can make it in the NFL. It's not fair to punish GB because it's not a "big city". There are PLENTY of hotels that are close. And bars and other "big city" stuff. It's not the Green Bay of 1950.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Cheesey they don't. According to a website GB has about 4000 hotel rooms. That's of all qualities. By comparison KC has about 36,000.
All these high profile types will want suites. By the time you add up all the corporate bigwigs, media talking heads and NFL teams they probably need 500 suites. As much as GB has grown in the last 30 years they don't have enough 4&5 star rooms. Then there's the premium restaurants they expect to eat at. Krolls only goes so far.
Back to KC, they are considered a small market team too. Their metro is over 2 million people. GB is about 300,000.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Well, they should get the draft in my opinion. Make the rich suckers see what us "PO folks" live like. 😜
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

Cheesey they don't. According to a website GB has about 4000 hotel rooms. That's of all qualities. By comparison KC has about 36,000.
All these high profile types will want suites. By the time you add up all the corporate bigwigs, media talking heads and NFL teams they probably need 500 suites. As much as GB has grown in the last 30 years they don't have enough 4&5 star rooms. Then there's the premium restaurants they expect to eat at. Krolls only goes so far.
Back to KC, they are considered a small market team too. Their metro is over 2 million people. GB is about 300,000.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Exactly, which is why the NFL should of brought the draft to Green Bay earlier, before it became a week long event and maybe say for the Packers 100th birthday or something (a great excuse to bring it to Green Bay, and get other teams/fans excited and thinking it should come to their place on their 100th birthday as well). But they missed that...

Day 3 in Green Bay would make sense. You don't need the high profile NFL execs or media personalities. They can keep their desks in Detroit and do a remote. Put a screen up in Resch Center and have media people running in and out of the stadium/ Hall of Fame and so on.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If they try saying the draft was in Green Bay, but it was only Day 3, that will feel like a bit of an insult to me.

I mean if they do have Day 3 in Green Bay, then great! Just as long as Goodell doesn't try to push the idea that they've crossed Green Bay off their list and never have to do it again.

Though, a great substitute or counter by Murphy might be, to have Day 3 of the Draft every year in Green Bay. That would be a major win, though, I doubt the NFL would go for that.

Either way, I expect them to at least have four media guys and the crew live and in person, even if they switch cities, the rest might be in a studio somewhere.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

Well, they should get the draft in my opinion. Make the rich suckers see what us "PO folks" live like. 😜

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree. Unfortunately the $10 billion industry doesn't care about you or me or any individual fan for that matter. They only want to rub shoulders with the famous, powerful and wealthy. Hopefully all in one person.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (21h) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.