Zero2Cool
2 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. – There’s a logical reason to trade Aaron Rodgers.

It’s been more than a decade since he led the Green Bay Packers to the Super Bowl, let alone won one. The Packers the last three seasons became the first team in NFL history with three consecutive 13-win seasons. They earned the highly coveted No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs – meaning homefield advantage and the only first-round bye – in back-to-back seasons. Rodgers is coming off back-to-back MVP seasons.

All of that meant exactly nothing in the playoffs. The run defense was terrible in the 2019 NFC championship. Kevin King was terrible in the 2020 NFC Championship Game. The special teams were terrible in the 2021 divisional game. But Rodgers wasn’t close to good enough in any of those games.

If the Packers couldn’t win the Super Bowl in 2020 or, especially, 2021, when they got some key players back from injuries and had a full house and miserable weather to host San Francisco, then maybe they’ll never win another Super Bowl with Rodgers.

Meanwhile, the Packers could trade Rodgers – and Davante Adams, while they’re at – and get three or four first-round picks (and another pick/player or two) in return along with an opportunity for a financial reset.

It’s an intriguing idea.

And it’s wrong.

Just because the Rodgers-led Packers haven’t won another Super Bowl doesn’t mean they can’t or they won’t.

The greatest case in point is Tom Brady.

Brady was well on his way to becoming an NFL legend after capping the 2004 season with a third Super Bowl win in four years. He was merely 27 years old on the night New England edged Philadelphia 24-21 for Super Bowl ring No. 3.

But the Brady-led Patriots didn’t win the Super Bowl in 2005. Or 2006. Or 2007. Or 2008. Or 2009. Or 2010. Or 2011. Or 2012. Or 2013. They reached the Super Bowl in a couple of those seasons, but Brady’s championship drought had reached a decade when, in 2014, the Patriots drafted quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo as the potential successor for the 36-year-old Brady.

That set the stage for the next act of Brady’s career. New England won a gift-wrapped Super Bowl against Seattle in 2014, then staged a comeback for the ages to stun Atlanta for another championship in 2016. The Patriots’ defense gave Brady another title in 2018. In 2020, Brady went to Tampa Bay, beat Rodgers in the NFC Championship Game and won a seventh Super Bowl in a rout of Kansas City.

A great quarterback gives his team a realistic opportunity to win the Super Bowl every season. Greatness – whether it’s as a player or as a team – isn’t guaranteed, though. Even with Brady’s legendary success, consider this: During that one-decade championship drought, Brady lost eight playoff games. He put 17 or fewer points on the scoreboard six times and 21 points in a seventh game.

In other words, Brady didn’t deliver in key moments. Just like Rodgers hasn’t delivered in key moments.

With a great quarterback, there’s a chance. There’s a chance to get hot in the playoffs, to make the big play, to rise to the occasion, to build a legend. Over the last six seasons, Brady is 13-3 in playoff games. He led his team to 30-plus points in 12 of those games. It was staggering success.

Without a great quarterback, you’re just a team that, in the grand scheme of things, isn’t really relevant. You’re the Saints without Drew Brees. You’re the Broncos of the last several years. You’re the Bears of, seemingly, forever.

General manager Brian Gutekunst knows that. And that’s why he wants to keep Rodgers. That’s why he’s betting on Rodgers instead of draft picks.

No doubt he’s considered the opportunity to reload on the fly by trading Rodgers for a king’s ransom. But he also knows there’s no guarantee that next quarterback is on the roster (Jordan Love) or waiting in the wings (a 2023 first-round pick). His playoff failures notwithstanding, riding with Rodgers doesn’t just provide the best chance to win a Super Bowl over the next season or three. Rodgers probably provides the only chance.

“I think we’ve got as good a shot as anybody to win a Super Bowl next year,” Gutekunst said when asked why he wouldn’t trade Rodgers. “He’s the MVP of the league. That’s our goal. I think we have an opportunity to do it right now. That’s why."

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Bill Huber wrote:

Bill lakes some good points here. He seems to leave out contract details though.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I agree with the guy.
And the points he made about Brady not always being the best was great points.
And Rodgers still gives the best chance for the Packers to win a SB in the near future.
You only know what you've got when it's gone, it seems.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Bill lakes some good points here. He seems to leave out contract details though.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Let's take the example of the Cowboys with the Hershey Walker trade. With those picks, they built a dynasty. And they were starting from zero. We're starting from 3 consecutivec13-3 seasons.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
2 years ago
Here's another thing. It's quite possible the team is trying to manage this, SAY all the right things in fear of Aaron Rodgers blitzkrieging the team with wall to wall leaks and media hysteria like he and his media sycophants did last offseason.

They still got Ari Fleischer on speed dial?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
2 years ago

Let's take the example of the Cowboys with the Hershey Walker trade. .

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

"Hershey" Walker? Is he the "Willy Wonka" of football?
(I couldn't pass that one up!)🤪
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
2 years ago
They didnt mention how Brady help save cap space for NE to make roster moves. I doubt Rodgers is willing to do that. Just like how he is unwillingly not taking what defenses give him.
Cheesey
2 years ago

They didnt mention how Brady help save cap space for NE to make roster moves. I doubt Rodgers is willing to do that. Just like how he is unwillingly not taking what defenses give him.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Yes, Rodgers isn't Tom Brady. Neither is any other QB in the NFL.
But all the other QBs in the NFL aren't Aaron Rodgers. And I bet almost all the other teams WISH they had Rodgers as their QB .
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
2 years ago
Read that article but replace Aaron Rodgers with Brett Favre and Jordan Love with Aaron Rodgers.

Not saying that Love will be as good as Rodgers. I am also not gojng to say he will be worse.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Pugger
2 years ago

Read that article but replace Aaron Rodgers with Brett Favre and Jordan Love with Aaron Rodgers.

Not saying that Love will be as good as Rodgers. I am also not gojng to say he will be worse.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Rodgers is a generational talent. Having a QB like him on your roster makes you an instant favorite to win it all and will make another team a favorite should we trade him away while we'll be just another @.500 team scrambling for a wild card spot. Love might be a good QB someday but watching all of the restructuring of other players' contracts is seems Gute and company are not quite ready to hand over the reins to Love just yet.
yooperfan
2 years ago
[quote=Pugger;448170]Rodgers is a generational talent. Having a QB like him on your roster makes you an instant favorite to win it all and will make another team a favorite should we trade him away while we'll be just another @.500 team scrambling for a wild card spot. Love might be a good QB someday but watching all of the restructuring of other players' contracts is seems Gute and company are not quite ready to hand over the reins to Love just yet.[/quote

Like we have won it all so many times over the last eleven years WITH Rodgers under center?
Come on man!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sure getting lot of spam accounts lately.
Martha Careful (21h) : Congratulations to the Florida Panthers in the NHL and U Tenn in the CWS on their championships
Zero2Cool (24-Jun) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (24-Jun) : NOT
wpr (24-Jun) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Jun / Random Babble / earthquake

23-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.