wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
There were several tornadoes in Northern IL last night. One of them formed in the vacant lot next to my Mom's house. Went across the street and took out 7 homes. It headed northeast taking out a few more before it hit a restaurant I insure knocking it down.

The employees and customers got into the basement just in time. A trucker came running in at the last minute. The storm flipped his truck and trailer on its side.

The storm kept on going north east. Hit a small town about about 100 or so. It killed one and destroyed almost all the homes.

I was at the scene of the restaurant for several hours last night. The owner was taken to the hospital with heart related issues.

Mom is without power for who knows how long. Her caregiver called and asked what should they do. Looks like I will at least pick up her frozen food.

There are a lot of photos on the weather channel facebook page .

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
yooperfan
9 years ago
I certainly feel bad for the people whose lives have been affected by these terrible storms.
I guess I don't feel so bad about the foot (and still coming down) of heavy wet snow that we got here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last night and today.
Getting around in this wintry slop is difficult and many are without power, but at the end of the day our homes are still standing.
Yerko
9 years ago
That thing was wicked.

Feel bad for the people of Fairdale also. Small, 3 block radius of a town (maybe 150 people), demolished.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I have a news feed program I created running in my office and this "A 67-year-old woman was killed and 11 others were taken to hospitals after the twister hit Fairdale" came on.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
9 years ago
I have always wanted to be a "storm chaser". Someday I will (I hope) get to photograph a tornado. I have been in one, but didn't have a camera with me.
I appreciate the power of storms. The sad part is the destruction they cause.
I hate seeing lives lost and people's homes destroyed.
I pray that the people affected by this storm are able to get the help they need.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
I have more photos but I am tired. Same for the website links.

Starting with Cheesey. Don't. I have "seen" heard actually tornadoes back track and there you would be. Stuck out int he middle of no where.

I think the people are being taken care of at least to a point. You never know with bureaucracy.

When we went to the high school they had all kinds of food, that we didn't take. All kinds of work gloves and equipment to help clean up the debris. Bottled water everywhere. Mom started to cry at the immensity of the destruction. People were coming up to her offering assistance.

Fairdale is such a small town I drove through it for years before I even realized that was a town. I thought it was 2 or 3 buildings sitting along the road. They even had a 45 mph speed limit. I never saw it.

The real tragedy is the loss of life. I heard that 2 people perished in Fairdale.

Yeah Yoop 1 foot of snow is a pain in the rump. And having power lines down is never good. But having a wall of air huffing and puffing over your head make you weak in the knees.

My update- I went over to Mom's this morning to get her out of her home and someplace tat has electricity.

First problem was a local Barney Fife including the bullet in his pocket. He would not let me in to the area. I told him there was no way my mother could get out of there without me. He had orders and couldn't think for himself. I had to go to the high school and get credentials.

That was dubious as well. When I got there they would only give them to people who lived in the neighborhood. I asked how they expected me to take care of my mother. They didn't know. They had orders. The gentleman behind me, who was waiting for his credentials, asked me my name. I told him and he said he knew me, my beard threw him off. He knew my mother. That she needs help and said he would vouch for me. The kid still didn't know so he turned to the guy next to him and he said to go ahead and give me the paper.

I got out there. It took about a half hour to drive 4 miles. Get Mom packed up. Took the food out of the freezer. Took her back in to get her piece of paper too. Then on to the local Super 8.

After that I went up to the restaurant and checked on my customer. Naturally she is distraught. I was waiting for the insurance company to show up. The area VP actually come up from Peoria. He got a call from home office at about 4:30 in the morning. The company President and VP of claims had already been talking about this loss.

The area VP lives in Washington, IL so he personally and the company as a whole dealt with this 1 1/2 years ago. He brought up a nice check for her.

While we were waiting the Governor came out to meet her. He called her a hero and a saint for getting everyone into the cellar. Her son was standing next to me in the background. I took the stuff that was in his hands and told him to go stand by his mother. It is not very often that you can meet a governor. Once he got up there his mother introduced him.

The Governor asked how the insurance situation was coming along. The owner pointed over to me and said that I was here. With everyone looking at me I said, "We will take care of her Sir." He laughed and shook my hand.

There was a lot more going on but that's enough. It was a very long day and I am tired.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
oh and the first responders- While I was at the high school I saw about 50 trucks leave and head out the disaster area. Crews from almost every small town north of Chicago sent a truck and crew.
Bucket trucks, ladder trucks, utility trucks pulling a trailer full off equipment.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago

There were several tornadoes in Northern IL last night. One of them formed in the vacant lot next to my Mom's house. Went across the street and took out 7 homes. It headed northeast taking out a few more before it hit a restaurant I insure knocking it down.

The employees and customers got into the basement just in time. A trucker came running in at the last minute. The storm flipped his truck and trailer on its side.

The storm kept on going north east. Hit a small town about about 100 or so. It killed one and destroyed almost all the homes.

I was at the scene of the restaurant for several hours last night. The owner was taken to the hospital with heart related issues.

Mom is without power for who knows how long. Her caregiver called and asked what should they do. Looks like I will at least pick up her frozen food.

There are a lot of photos on the weather channel facebook page .

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I was dismayed to read your post WPR. I hope that ALL affected will fair well.
Please let this forum know if you are in need of any aid.

Tornado Alley would not be my first choice for a place to live. The Drought stricken West either.
I choose to live in Va. , but not for those reasons. The weather here does not swing too far to the cold side, nor too far to the hot side. Water is not generally a problem. Va has beautiful Atlantic Beaches as well at some very nice Mountainous areas. People here are for the most part are very friendly and and jobs can usually be found. Farms do well in VA , but so do the high tech trades.

I'm sure that we all love our home ground, yet some are not as easy as others to live in. I wish all the best, wherever you live.

[-o< 🙏 🙏
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago
Thanks Smokey. From all that I hear the support has been fantastic.

I have been in a few different parts of Virginny. It is indeed beautiful.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.