Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

The Green Bay Packers are embarking upon their 10th draft under the direction of general manager Ted Thompson with a few more glaring needs than normal.

JSOnline  wrote:

Interesting look at the Packers from another NFL executive.
play2win
10 years ago
I'll say. That was a great read.

Confirms S as our #1 team need, and opens up the rest of the draft to pure BPA with an emphasis on WR, DE, OLB and TE.

Add to that a STs ace...
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I still think the safeties talked about in the first two rounds of this draft are overrated.

Clinton-Dix should fall to the Packers, but won't because their are multiple teams in need of safety help. One will spend a top 15 pick on him.

Pryor is overrated, too. He's good, but he'll also probably go top 15, and he's not that good. IMO he's second round talent. He's a big hitter, to be sure, but just watch if the Packers draft him -- for many fans he's going to have at least a couple years of too many "bad angles" and "missed tackles going for the kill shot" and "failure of communication." I won't complain if he's the pick at #21, but I'd rather Ted found a way to trade down a bit first.

In some ways, Bucannon might be the best safety pick for the Packers. He can play both positions at a high level. Personally, I think he's early third quality, but I can now see why most see him as a second. (He's not a first, though.)

As for Brooks, well, I just don't see the attraction. He's a tier down from the other three. Okay if he falls to the 3rd, but even that might be high. He'll go in the second, though. Hopefully to Chicago, Minnesota, or Detroit. :)

Craig Loston, Ed Reynolds, Ahmad Dixon (one of my faves) -- all fourth round quality. Loston later than the others, might fall there, but good chance each will be gone in top 100 picks.

Two sleepers, IMO, both because of their versatility: Nat Berhe (both safety positions; real smart); Dontae Reynolds (safety and corner). If any safeties out there are underrated, it might be one of these two.

And one I'd take a chance on late if he falls because of injury concerns -- Aaron Colvin (again, versatility: lists as CB, but might be even better as safety).

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
10 years ago

I still think the safeties talked about in the first two rounds of this draft are overrated.

Clinton-Dix should fall to the Packers, but won't because their are multiple teams in need of safety help. One will spend a top 15 pick on him.

Pryor is overrated, too. He's good, but he'll also probably go top 15, and he's not that good. IMO he's second round talent. He's a big hitter, to be sure, but just watch if the Packers draft him -- for many fans he's going to have at least a couple years of too many "bad angles" and "missed tackles going for the kill shot" and "failure of communication." I won't complain if he's the pick at #21, but I'd rather Ted found a way to trade down a bit first.

In some ways, Bucannon might be the best safety pick for the Packers. He can play both positions at a high level. Personally, I think he's early third quality, but I can now see why most see him as a second. (He's not a first, though.)

As for Brooks, well, I just don't see the attraction. He's a tier down from the other three. Okay if he falls to the 3rd, but even that might be high. He'll go in the second, though. Hopefully to Chicago, Minnesota, or Detroit. :)

Craig Loston, Ed Reynolds, Ahmad Dixon (one of my faves) -- all fourth round quality. Loston later than the others, might fall there, but good chance each will be gone in top 100 picks.

Two sleepers, IMO, both because of their versatility: Nat Berhe (both safety positions; real smart); Dontae Reynolds (safety and corner). If any safeties out there are underrated, it might be one of these two.

And one I'd take a chance on late if he falls because of injury concerns -- Aaron Colvin (again, versatility: lists as CB, but might be even better as safety).

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I agree. Buccanon is my top rated followed closely by Brooks and Dixon. All of them faster that Clinton-Dix and Pryor. I hope Ted lands one or two of these guys.

I'm also not buying that we are fine at ILB. Brad Jones stinks. Lattimore is OK, and Barrington was supposed to show promise, but all three were injured last year and unavailable for much if not all of the season. How can we rely on that? I don't think we should.
steveishere
10 years ago

To me the Pryor being a "big hitter" thing is being overstated. That's all everyone talks about but what I like about him is he's constantly around the ball. He's not leaving guys wide open in coverage and if someone is running it or catching a pass he's in on the play almost every time. His angles aren't terrible but he does miss some tackles so he's not perfect or anything. I just think even with his flaws it would be refreshing to have someone back there who is going to be a presence on a play to play basis instead of being invisible all game unless he's giving up a 40 yard TD. I would be fine with Pryor at 21.
luigis
10 years ago
I still like Ed Reynolds and I'm very happy he is under the radar.

Luis
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

I'm also not buying that we are fine at ILB. Brad Jones stinks. Lattimore is OK, and Barrington was supposed to show promise, but all three were injured last year and unavailable for much if not all of the season. How can we rely on that? I don't think we should.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Agree. Unfortunately, this is a weak draft for ILB.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
10 years ago

Agree. Unfortunately, this is a weak draft for ILB.

Well, the one player who gives me the most hope on our roster is Barrington. That's saying something.

I think there is plenty of talent in this draft. We'll see one of Mosley, Shazier, Borland, Skov, Smallwood, Jones, Smith, or Bullough added to our D, for sure.

Adding a great ILB along with S is going to make a world of difference for our D.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Clearly, Safety is the biggest need, followed closely by ILB. If Clinton-Dix is there at #21, grab him. If he's gone and Shazier is gone, grab him and convert him to ILB. Next choice is Mosely. If all three are gone, I really don't know, trade down? I don't like that, but whatever. I want to see two Safetys drafted by the fourth round along with at least one ILB. Then and only then, think about TE, WR, and OLB, and don't even think about D-Line, QB, O-Line, or RB before late Saturday.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.