Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5885§ion_id=40 

GREEN BAY While the tenuous labor negotiations between the NFL and the NFL Players Association on a new collective bargaining agreement are having an impact on any and all of the free agents-to-be, itd be hard to find a player in a tougher predicament than Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones.

For starters, as a four-year NFL veteran, Jones is in limbo as to whether hell be an unrestricted free agent, as he would under the rules applied during the salary cap era, or a restricted free agent, as he would be under the 2010 rules during the uncapped year, when it took six years of NFL experience to gain unrestricted status. Jones did confirm Monday that he received a qualifying offer from the Packers in the event that the 2010 rules apply

Then there are the competing desires Jones feels in his heart. After four years as a backup behind starters Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, Jones would love nothing more than to get an opportunity to start. Given that Jennings just earned his first Pro Bowl selection and the ageless Driver, who turned 36 a few days before the Super Bowl, intends to keep playing, Jones realizes such an opportunity might have to come elsewhere.

But after playing on the Super Bowl XLV champions, he also knows that hes part of a team whose window of success might just be opening.

Thus, as he attended Monday nights premiere of the Packers Super Bowl XLV Champions DVD at the Meyer Theatre in Green Bay, Jones found himself conflicted about his future and uncertain of when hell even know what his options truly are.

"My main thing going through all this is, do I want to be a starter in the National Football League? No question. Do I feel like I'm a starter? No question, Jones told a handful of reporters before the films viewing. I know we've got something great here. I mean, this team could win some championships for the next couple years. But at the same time, I do want to be a starter. I don't know if that's ever going to happen here with Donald playing until he's 40."

Jones, Jennings and Driver were the three players representing the team at Monday nights premiere, with Driver scheduled to sign copies of the DVD at the Best Buy store in Ashwaubenon when it went on sale to the public at midnight. Both Jennings and Driver said they hope their buddy is back in 2011.

"This is my first time seeing him since we won (the Super Bowl), and he's in Green Bay, so that's a good sign. I don't think I'm going to have to twist his arm, Jennings said. He's going to have to make a business decision for himself. First of all, we need the CBA to be signed for anything to happen. But he has to make the best decision for him and his family. If I have any say, it's here in Green Bay."

Added Driver: "We want J.J. back. We have a great group of guys that have great chemistry together. We all bring something different to the table, but it's truly amazing what we all can bring. To have J.J., I mean, it takes a lot of pressure off all of us. It takes pressure off Greg, it takes pressure off me, it takes pressure off Jordy (Nelson) and it takes pressure off Brett Swain. Our receivers are one of the best (units) in the game, and if we can keep ourselves together, it shows you what we can do down the stretch and for years to come."

At the same time, Driver, who went down with an ankle injury in the first half of Super Bowl XLV, made it clear on Monday night that he has no intention of retiring, especially just 42 yards shy of breaking Pro Football Hall of Famer James Loftons franchise record for receiving yards. (Driver already owns the team reception record.)

"So many people think that after you win the Super Bowl, you've got to retire, Driver said. Now I can leave (on) my own terms. I think you get to a point in your career where you just want to put a nice stamp on your legacy, and my legacy is here. One thing I want to do is have James Lofton's record. I need 42 yards to surpass him. I want my records to stand forever. My goal is to make sure that one day, no one ever wears No. 80 again.

Who will wear Jones No. 89 in 2011 is another matter. Jones caught 50 passes for 679 yards and five touchdowns in 16 regular-season games, ranking third on the team in receptions (behind Jennings 76 and Drivers 51), second in yardage (to Jennings 1,265) and second in touchdown catches (to Jennings 12). In four postseason games, he caught 11 passes for 144 yards and two TDs, including five receptions for 50 yards in Super Bowl XLV. In four years, Jones has caught 149 passes for 2,069 yards and 13 TDs in regular-season play.

Whats vexing to coaches and fans alike is Jones inconsistency in catching the ball. According to STATS LLC, Jones dropped six passes in regular season play in 2010, and he also had a game-changing fumble late in the fourth quarter of a Week 3 loss at Chicago. Jones also dropped what likely would have been long touchdowns in regular-season games against the Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and New York Giants, then dropped what should have been a 63-yard touchdown in the Packers NFC Wild Card victory at Philadelphia and a would-be 75-yard touchdown in Super Bowl XLV against Pittsburgh.

At the same time, Jones might have the best hands on the team, given the way hes able to pluck the ball out of the air and makes tough catches like his 20-yard touchdown against Atlanta in the NFC Divisional playoffs look routine.

For now, Jones must wait and see whether those drops have had a significant impact on the way the organization views him. Jones could draw plenty of interest on the open market from a team looking for a young player ready to emerge as a starter; on the other hand, the Packers could see him and/or Nelson as a viable alternative to Driver at a position where they must get younger eventually. Thus, Jones could have competing offers with different money, a different role and a different team outlook.

"They did tender me. My agent called, said they tendered me. I didn't ask questions about, first, second, third, or whatever the tender was. I just said, OK, whatever. We'll wait on the CBA to see what happens, Jones said. My agent said they were going to talk at the combine. But like I said, once all this CBA stuff is done, all the stuff will start falling into place. If they want me, they'll make something happen. And if they don't, they'll let me know.

"When I was coming out of college, my main goal was to stay at one place throughout my career. But at the same time, you've got to go what's best for your family and at the same time, it's not up to me. It's up to the organization. Hopefully, we can do something to keep me here. If not, I love the city, love the team, would love to come back. But it's up to them.

"Jason Wilde" wrote:

If I'm James Jones, I need to answer, do I want starter money and/or starting position? IF it's starter money, go elsewhere if you can't get a incentive laden contract to your appeal. If you want to win, he already acknowledges his best chance is with the Packers.

He also needs to answer is he really a starter if he can't beat out a 36 year old? Now, I like Donald Driver, but lets face it, he's not a Hall of Fame caliber WR.

Some will scoff when reading that James Jones may have the best hands on the team. To explain that, someone with good hands is one who can catch the ball (key word) with his hands, not his body. At times, James Jones has the softest hands on the team and probably strongest when relating it to catching the ball out of the air. Brett Favre used to say that Bubba Franks had the best hands on the team for that reason.

Catch for catch, I think the best hands on the team falls between Finley and Jones from what I've seen. If Jones can improve his concentration, he'd be a starter on the Packers and I firmly believe that.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
I like Jones, but he needs to CATCH the balls that are thrown to him. He'll make some AMAZING catches, then drop the easy ones that fall right into his hands.
Is it concentration, or something else? Does he needs glasses or something? (Not being sarcastic, maybe it's a real thing).
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
I honestly feel like if Jones wanted to be a starter, he could go somewhere else and Packers fans wouldn't feel too sore about it. I think that he has made some great catches, but we need more from the guy. And he knows that. What he doesn't seem to know is that skills, and lack of skills for that matter, follow a person. No matter where he goes, he'll have the same problem, unless he gets his act together and works his ass off this offseason. If that's the case, then I believe he will leave GB. Jordy will step up like he did in the SB, and Teddy will find a #4. The best part is that this #4 receiver may not be great on other teams, but Aaron will make him look very good just like he does to every receiver, as long as he holds onto the ball.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
Well since the Union choose to go the legal route (which most likely will take some time) then IMO most likely one of three things will happen to Jones this year...

1) NFL will win the lockout case and be able to lock the players out

2) Jones will be a RFA and no one will sign him meaning he's forced to sign his tender with the Packers and he players for the Packers next year...

3) Jones will be a RFA and some team will sign him giving the Packers two options.... Option 1 match the deal and get Jones, Option 2 not match the deal and take the draft pick they tendered Jones for away from the team that signed him...

There is also the chance that Judges gets to the final ruling in time for the season or the NFL and Union are able to make a deal work in time for the season, but seeing how much the two sides are fighting and how many different things they have to agree on or the judge has to rule on I don't think it's gonna get done before the season... but that's just a guess...
UserPostedImage
shield4life
13 years ago
I really hope he stays, he was a big piece of the puzzle. Would be easier for us if he stayed then finding a replacement for him.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
musccy
13 years ago
Few teams have proven moreso than the Packers that performance trumps loyalty - see Al Harris, Favre, and Aaron Kampan as just a few examples.

Thus, the Packers wouldn't stick with Driver as the starter just because he's a swell guy and used to be good. James and Donald's numbers are similar, James' upside (for the last 4 years) has been better - but he's still behind Driver on the depth chart, likely due to how inconsistent and unreliable he can be.

He keeps using the Packers' loyalties to Driver as an excuse, but really he's the only reason he's not the starter here in GB. He could get starter $ AND play for a SB contender.
peteralan71
13 years ago
I like your loyalty/performance argument, but do you think they'd move him (Jones) to a #2? Or would he simply play #2 and Driver would still hold the title? Kind of like Kuhn starting at FB but Corey Hall was always the "starter" throughout the season.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago
They guy caught one less pass than Driver and gets plenty of playing time and opportunity so I still say it's about money and not who starts.

When a guy is quoted saying "what's best for me and my family" your talking money. I also highly doubt he believes Driver will be around until he is 40 or, if that happens, he should take over the starting position well before that.

They use Driver differently and Jones does not want what Driver does which is go places where he gets his head knocked off. Most of what jones does he has the sideline next to him.

So if he goes somewhere else how will they use him? Sometimes it's wise to be careful about what you wish for. If the guy held onto the big ones he misses he would get the ball more and be around 60 catches which is all I see him getting even with more snaps.

If you look at the teams with good QB's and good passing offenses they already have good WR's so it's more likely he gets a bigger contract from a lousy team with a lousy QB. I don't see how that helps him.
"The train is leaving the station."
DakotaT
13 years ago
If the Baldwin kid from Pitt drops to us, let's take him and say goodbye to Mr. Jones. 6-5 possession receiver with a huge upside. He and Finley would be death in the red zone.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago

If the Baldwin kid from Pitt drops to us, let's take him and say goodbye to Mr. Jones. 6-5 possession receiver with a huge upside. He and Finley would be death in the red zone.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I have seen this pick in some mocks. It would make more sense to me to do this and take Reed in the 2nd round. The thing is there has been talk about some attitude issues with Baldwin and Ted likes high character guys.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.