wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
18 days ago

Popular Green Bay Packers running back A.J. Dillon faces an uncertain future after the team placed him on the IR on Tuesday when the team reduced it’s roster to 53 players. Because Dillon was not designated to return, he will have to sit out the entire 2024 NFL season unless the Packers subsequently release him with an injury settlement.

Most people were surprised Dillon re-signed with the Packers. The former Boston College star struggled through the 2023 NFL season. Dillon ran for 613 yards which was the lowest output since his rookie year when he saw limited action. His average yards per carry was a career low 3.4 and he tied his career low for rushing touchdowns with two.

Dillon had a chance to shine when starter Aaron Jones struggled with injuries for most of the season. “Quadzilla” started six games and ran the ball more in several others while Jones was either out of the lineup or on a play count. Unfortunately, he didn’t take advantage of this opportunity.

Late in the season, Dillon suffered a stinger injury that caused him to miss the regular season finale and both Packers playoffs games.

During the offseason, most people expected Jones to renegotiate his deal with the Packers and return while Dillon would likely test the free agent market. Instead, the Packers were unable to agree on a contract with Jones and Dillon surprised everybody by signing a team-friendly, one-year contract with the Pack using a salary cap loophole.

Dillon was healthy to start the team’s offseason program and training camp. Unfortunately, he suffered another stinger during the team’s joint practice with the Denver Broncos. The extent of the injury was not immediately disclosed but Dillon did not play in either of the final two preseason games and did not participate in practice after he got hurt.

Dillon admitted he was concerned about suffering another stinger. “Yeah, I mean, it’s human nature, but there is nothing you can do about it,” he explained last week. “I’m not a doctor, so it’s kind of on their time to let me know what their thoughts are. Our trainers, I think above everything we want to be safe and smart. You only get one body. So, thinking about how we can be out there and be as protected but also go out there and play care-free and go play football the way I want to play football.”

Stingers are injuries to the nerves in the neck, arm, and hand. Most of the time, players recover from them quickly. But in some instances, the damage can be more long-term. For an NFL running back, the need to hold onto the football when other players are trying to tackle you and cause you to fumble the ball is critical.

It later became clear that Dillon had likely suffered a more serious injury. When the final cuts were announced, Dillon was placed on IR without the designation to return.

On Wednesday, GM Brian Gutekunst addressed Dillon’s situation with the media. “He had the injury last year and went through some things this year that I won’t get into the details of, but it was just something we weren’t comfortable with at the moment. Hopefully, that will change in time. Obviously, he won’t be with us this year, but he’s going to need some time to get through this to see exactly how this will shake out. Obviously, I wish him the best. He’s a pro’s pro. It’s a tough blow when these things happen. Hopefully, in a short time, he’ll get some good news.”

There are two issues here. One is Dillon’s football future. He is not under contract for 2025. He may be done playing for the Packers unless they sign him to a new contract. Dillon may also be unable to resume his football career if the injury does not heal properly.

Hopefully, there is no long-term risk to Dillon’s personal health outside of football. That is even more important than being able to continue his football career.

Dillon has always been a great teammate. He earned the nickname, “The Mayor of Door County” for his involvement in the community and his popularity with the fans. We wish him a complete and speedy recovery and a bright future both in and outside of football.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

I like AJ. I always hoped he would be able to set up and contribute to the team. More so than he did.I don't see them bringing him back next year.
UserPostedImage
beast
17 days ago

I like AJ. I always hoped he would be able to set up and contribute to the team. More so than he did.I don't see them bringing him back next year.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think he'll be released with an injury settlement this year, unless he's retiring and will sign with another team.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
17 days ago

I think he'll be released with an injury settlement this year, unless he's retiring and will sign with another team.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Probably.

UserPostedImage
greengold
16 days ago
AJ is old and not for this league anymore. You could call it money laundering or whatever, but they found a way to give him a $million+ or maybe more because it allowed additional uncapped money for a thank you for his career service to the team.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16h) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (17h) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (23h) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (23h) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (23h) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (23h) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (23h) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (23h) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (23h) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (23h) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (23h) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (23h) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Muwahahahah
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : I'll ride Jordan Love > Brock Purdy all day!
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Packers TE that you all say is being phased out lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Upper tier QB???
dhazer (12-Sep) : backup RB
dhazer (12-Sep) : and he rejects it because I rejected his trade of the 49ers backup B for Mcaffery lol
dhazer (12-Sep) : I try helping out Kevin and trading him an upper teir QB so he has a starter and even gave him a Packer TE for a backup TE Purdy for Love
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : MLF says “Love’s injury is more day to day than anything”
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : Zero, regarding Eli scouting Rodgers, that's the joke. Rodgers only played 4 snaps so it would take Eli 5 minutes to scout him
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Jordan Love not seen at practice today.
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : De’Von Achane practiced today in what appeared to be a lighter walkthrough session.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.