dfosterf
15 years ago
My best bud around here (in the bar) Ralph.

Die hard Steeler fan. Typical one, too.

Dad (passed) Die hard Packer fan.

Ralph gave me his dad's leather Packer coat. A very big deal for him.

2007 he went plan B in honor of his dad (and me) for the Pack.

He told me he wished his team was run more like the Packers. I swear to God. (In 2007)

Shit happens.

Here-- Throw this in the face of your Steeler fan buds.

Future Pro-bowler stolen from the Steelers 

That'll shut 'em up!

(laugh number 2?)

Thanks for the plus 1, at least I know I can still make you laugh.
dhazer
15 years ago
So how long are we suppose to wait on Ted Thompson 10, 15, 20 years? I just don't see how his no free agents and draft only theory will make this team better? Are we a better team than when he took over, I would have to say no we were winning then in the playoffs almost every year. We are now hoping to make it to 500 so we did a full circle to back to the 70's and 80's. But then again they didn't have free agency back then so i can see him following that plan 😛
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

from the article

Thompson's philosophy, and it's followed by other salary-cap savvy teams like the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers

"dhazer" wrote:

1st thing that made me laugh was some Wisconsin writer comparing the Packers with the likes of the Pats and Steelers. Steelers have 2 Super Bowls and the Pats have 3 and we have 0 and have 2 out of 4 losing seasons. Get real idiot lol

"longtimefan" wrote:

Instead of blasting the author for what you deem to be an idiot article, why not support your theroy with facts?

But the principle of the way they draft, free agents and re-signing are similar that is what the author was saying..

not that the teams have the same success.. ::roll:

"dhazer" wrote:

you know your always telling people to find proof to back their ideas why dont you start doing that LTF? The Pats get big name players, we don't. My proof is the likes Harrison, Seau, Thomas and they make trades like Moss, and Welker and they also do alot of trading up.

I am not the one saying the author of the article an idiot, so thats why okay?

Your the "types" that have issues and never support your opinions with fact, and I for one am getting damn tired of your song and dance

And we went over your claim that half of their roster were free agents a while back dont you recall?

Majority of the f/a were undrafted rookies that they signed..

That is the same as what the Packers did on May 1st..And that is signing 11 free agents..Dont believe me?

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/05/01/1/ 

the Green Bay Packers signed 11 rookie free agents.

Now back up your smack with roster links and years those free agents have been with the pats and pitts..then tell us how many were rookie free agents or free agents that really made a difference

Other wise stop blowing your crap and making it as a fact, unless you can back up your claims

so again YOUR the one saying the Packers arent following the path of Pitt and NE

so back that claim up or shut up
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

So how long are we suppose to wait on Ted Thompson 10, 15, 20 years? I just don't see how his no free agents and draft only theory will make this team better? Are we a better team than when he took over, I would have to say no we were winning then in the playoffs almost every year. We are now hoping to make it to 500 so we did a full circle to back to the 70's and 80's. But then again they didn't have free agency back then so i can see him following that plan :P

"dhazer" wrote:

Why don't you read my posts? Arggh. I've said over and over. We need a playoff win this year or its time to fire up the hot seats for Ted and Mike.

We are a better team now 1 thru 53 than we were his first year. No question about that once so ever. Sherman inherited a two time Super Bowl participant after the Rhodes debacliation.

Sherman coach, good. Sherman GM, not good, but took chances!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Harrison was originally drafted in fifth round of the 1994 draft (145th overall) by the San Diego Chargers, the same year they made their first and only Super Bowl (Super Bowl XXIX). They lost to the San Francisco 49ers. Before the draft Harrison had run a 4.82 second 40 yard dash. He became a starting member of their 1997 defense. He went to two Pro Bowls with the Chargers in 1998 and 2001.

"dhazer" wrote:

wtf you talking about? lol

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/49231/ 

JAMES Harrison, not Rodney buddy 🙂 I hope all your sources aren't this accurate 😛
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
DHaze-

Do not conveniently forget about the MASSIVE PILE of Sh## that Ted has VERY WISELY shoveled out of Green Bay.

The slate is FINALLY damn near clean, thanks to the guy you hate on so much.

2008 - Dead Money hits:

Brett Favre, KGB, Bubba Franks, Marquand Manuel, Tracy White, Robert fucking Ferguson, Abdul Hodge, David Clowney, Marviel Underwood, Ingle Martin, Clark Harris, Tyrone Culver, Jon Ryan, Joey Haynos, Brett Swain, Daniel Muir, Ryan Powdrell, Tony Palmer, Chris Patrick, Cliff Washburn, Jerry Babb, Ryan Dougherty, Noah Herron, Alfred Malone, Chris Francies, Spencer Havner, Ryan Keenan, Joe Porter, Johnny Quinn, Corey White, Mike Peterson, Pat Murray, Larry Birdine, Danny Lansanah, Jake Allen, Taj Smith, Juwan Simpson, Rory Johnson, Jerry Babb, Paul Thompson, Brennan Carvalho, Rod Harper, Marcus Riley, Corey White, Ryan Considine, Scorpio Babers, Rudolph Hardie, Junius Coston,

+ the IR guys....

Take a good look at that list. Some dead money is to be expected when personnel decisions are made, but you might want to ask yourself why some of those guys were on that list in 2008. I would submit that Mike Sherman had no f##king clue what he was doing as a GM (I liked him as a coach) and TED HAS BEEN UNF##KING THIS for years.

Good news... This slate is going to be virtually (finally) wiped clean.

This is a Green Bay Packers GM reality the past several years, not some bulls##sht Madden-esque fantasy football bull##it game played by whiny assed bit##ers (no one on this forum in that category, of course, lol)
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I absolutely agree with the management style, exception of one thing. There is that special circumstance, when the team is right on the edge of a title, that it makes sense to dish a little extra out to make that SB run. I thought the team was there after 07' until Brett announced his retirement. Now I think the team is going to approach that place again very soon.

Other than that situation, I agree 100%. Now I love watching some players as much as anybody. I would really like to see Driver stay until he is finished. But in order for that to happen, Donald has to want it also, and be willing to take the salary equal to his production.

Now I hope Jennings, Collins coming up are the type of player that will accept that slightly smaller contract to earn that extra. Hopefully they see the potential of keeping the team together, jelling as a group, winning that SB, and taking their money on the backend of a title.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
TheOldMan
15 years ago

DHaze-

Do not conveniently forget about the MASSIVE PILE of Sh## that Ted has VERY WISELY shoveled out of Green Bay.

The slate is FINALLY damn near clean, thanks to the guy you hate on so much.

2008 - Dead Money hits:

Brett Favre, KGB, Bubba Franks, Marquand Manuel, Tracy White, Robert fucking Ferguson, Abdul Hodge, David Clowney, Marviel Underwood, Ingle Martin, Clark Harris, Tyrone Culver, Jon Ryan, Joey Haynos, Brett Swain, Daniel Muir, Ryan Powdrell, Tony Palmer, Chris Patrick, Cliff Washburn, Jerry Babb, Ryan Dougherty, Noah Herron, Alfred Malone, Chris Francies, Spencer Havner, Ryan Keenan, Joe Porter, Johnny Quinn, Corey White, Mike Peterson, Pat Murray, Larry Birdine, Danny Lansanah, Jake Allen, Taj Smith, Juwan Simpson, Rory Johnson, Jerry Babb, Paul Thompson, Brennan Carvalho, Rod Harper, Marcus Riley, Corey White, Ryan Considine, Scorpio Babers, Rudolph Hardie, Junius Coston,

+ the IR guys....

Take a good look at that list. Some dead money is to be expected when personnel decisions are made, but you might want to ask yourself why some of those guys were on that list in 2008. I would submit that Mike Sherman had no f##king clue what he was doing as a GM (I liked him as a coach) and TED HAS BEEN UNF##KING THIS for years.

Good news... This slate is going to be virtually (finally) wiped clean.

This is a Green Bay Packers GM reality the past several years, not some bulls##sht Madden-esque fantasy football bull##it game played by whiny assed bit##ers (no one on this forum in that category, of course, lol)

"dfosterf" wrote:

What are you talking about?

Alot of those guys are Ted Thompson guys!

It's been FIVE YEARS.

I'm gettig a little tired of that excuse (as I'm sure are others) that Ted Thompson is STILL cleaning up Mike Sherman's mess.

31-33 does not cut it in my book, and if the Packers don't make, and go deep, into the playoffs, then Ted Thompson should be fired!

Plain and simple. No one is bigger than the Green Bay Packers.

Not even Ted Thompson.
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!
dfosterf
15 years ago
The, (left out old man for sensibility purposes :icon_smile: ) you answered your own question. As I stated in my original post, some dead money is to be expected in the normal course of personnel decisions...

The part you answered?

Five years! You proclaim.

We are STILL paying guys that are LONG GONE, thanks to poor structuring of deals, LTBE incentives, pro-rata signing bonuses, etc.

Why?

Because Sherman back-loaded contracts because we were in cap hell.

You hate on Ted, that is your right.

Just one example, and I'll leave 1.4 million in PRSB regarding a certain HOF QB, because I'm a nice guy. :icon_smile:

You good with the fact that we took almost the exact same cap hit for Robert Ferguson as Greg Jennings in '08?

Do you know what the base salary is of our starting QB for 2009?

It is LESS than the aforementioned cap hit from Ferguson in 2008.

THAT is how Ted rolls...
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
The current Packers are players of the current regime minus I think a half dozen or so. This is the new Packers under the current regime.

It's time to at least a playoff win. If we had Brett in his hay day, I'd say its NFC Championship or bust. However, we have a young QB with only season under his belt. I like him, but he's still young.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (6h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (8h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (9h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.