rabidgopher04
5 years ago
Maybe he uses all the interviews to gain intel on the organization. Maybe he just likes learning about different franchises and how they operate and brings that info back to the Pats.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
DoddPower
5 years ago
Other than the success he's had with the Patriots, the biggest factor that makes me mostly sold on McDaniels is the substantial support of Bill Belichick. What better endorsement does one need? If McDaniels was truly that "bad," I highly doubt Belichick and the Patriots would want him so badly and do things to keep him. The fact that they did try to keep him tells me that this guy isn't nearly as bad as it may look.

If it's a good fit, I think the Packers have to give it a shot. If it only works for a few years, who cares, as long as he brings another Super Bowl. I'm not going to hold the Denver thing against him. He may need a great QB to make things work. Fortunately, the Packers should have another few years of great QB play with the right coach.
beast
5 years ago

This could be part of the reason. What do you think?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think they're being unspecific enough that I don't have a clue what to think... and agree with one of the spots Rock older quoted

One source said: “He’s always just insisted that everything be right, or he wasn’t going to leave.” It’s unclear what it was about the Colts' job that McDaniels ultimately decided wasn’t perfect, but he reached a point where he believed he was better off staying in New England.

I've said in the past, if it's because he doesn't trust the Colts owner, then I certainly can understand that (and as Brown's head coach, Pettine had problems with the owner sticking his head into things he shouldn't had and lost Kyle Shanahan because of it)... but it's not clear with what part of the "organizational structure" that held him back....

It's also not clear if the Packers are currently set up in an organizational structure that's acceptable to McDaniels or would he be trying to change the organizational structure here too?

But this could be something extremely reasonable, such as trying to make sure the Colt owner who is known to take lots of drugs and sometimes seems not to be connected to reality (he thought it was smart to throw Manning under the bus was divorcing, and thought Luck's injury was just in his head)... but make sure he made the least amount of personal decision on his own as possible, it could be extremely reasonable.

Or it could be some power move, such as give him complete control over the GM which might not be as reasonable, as we want Gute making the selections especially after McDaniels made some bad moves when in control with the Broncos.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I would like to know the details of his reason for backing out. I'm not entitled to know, just curiosity is all. As a father who had to relocate his daughter, I wonder if he interviewed and wife checked out schools and areas to live and that wad the last minute deal breaker. That's a huge stretch, but it's the only thing I can see myself backing out. If it was the structure or something like that I have to think he'd have known that prior to accepting the position. Unless he thought he could deal with it and after sleeping on it decided he couldn't.

Just an interesting scenario of events.
UserPostedImage
musccy
5 years ago

Other than the success he's had with the Patriots, the biggest factor that makes me mostly sold on McDaniels is the substantial support of Bill Belichick. What better endorsement does one need? If McDaniels was truly that "bad," I highly doubt Belichick and the Patriots would want him so badly and do things to keep him. The fact that they did try to keep him tells me that this guy isn't nearly as bad as it may look.

If it's a good fit, I think the Packers have to give it a shot. If it only works for a few years, who cares, as long as he brings another Super Bowl. I'm not going to hold the Denver thing against him. He may need a great QB to make things work. Fortunately, the Packers should have another few years of great QB play with the right coach.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

How do we know he's going to win a SB?

McDaniels was part of (another) video tape scandal in Denver, couldn't make it 2 seasons there, and as has already been mentioned, has bailed on the Colts.

Belichick probably wanted to retain Weiss, Mangini, Cromell, etc. too but what did they do outside of Foxboro?

McDaniels could go on to be a HOF coach for all I know, but I don't see the compelling evidence for why he's such a hot commodity.

beast
5 years ago

McDaniels could go on to be a HOF coach for all I know, but I don't see the compelling evidence for why he's such a hot commodity.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Bill Belichick is said to be the best head coach of all time... how many Super Bowl rings does Bill have? 5! How many does McDaniels have? 5! Bill has never won a Super Bowl without McDaniels...

Of course that's probably a bit of luck as McDaniels wasn't that hIgh of a position for the first two, and the Patriots just lost a Super Bowl while McDaniels was gone.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Pete Carroll didn't do so well with the Jets or Patriots, and he came back and got a team to two Super Bowl's, winning one of them and should have won the 2nd one. I don't think this is a reason to exclude someone.

The only interview he has granted is with the Packers. Unless I missed something, which is very possible.

Update: I don't know how trustworthy this source is.

Update2: Another source, but they could be piggy backing off one another.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, you're right. I thought he had three interviews. One with us, one with the Bengals (which he won't do) and one with the Browns, which was pure speculation and hasn't been reported upon further since.
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I half agree with that. The Pats are doing their best to keep him around as a coordinator, not as a head coach. I don't think anyone would disagree with you if you called McDaniels one of the better offensive minds in the league. The problems arrise when he has to manage situations by himself.

Whether it's fueding with just about everyone in Denver or the total mishandling of that Colts opening, he hasn't really shown that he's a guy you want to have running the show.

I think it can work if you don't give him too much power. I don't want him in a position that he could push through a complete culture change like he tried in Denver or that he has too big an influence on the roster. His autoritarian style of leadership doesn't fly anymore in any part of society, really. I hope he's learned that much from his time in Denver.

That said, I could see past all of that. I mean, he was only 32 when he was named head coach of the Broncos and I'm sure that was one heck of a learning experience.

The thing I find more worrying is how the whole Colts thing played out. You can say you've learned from your mistakes and how you're a changed man, but if you don't act like it, that holds very little value.

He just completely fumbled that situation. If he wanted to stay in New England but wanted more control/salary/influence, you go and talk with the management there. You don't bolt off and make a 180 when you do get what you want. If you don't want to relocate your family and kids, you don't accept an offer to coach a team in another state. If the structure of the organization you're joining doesn't sit well with you, you mention that in your interview and see what can be done about it... Or don't even consider joining the team.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Edit: Wow, McDaniels at age 33 was also basically the General Manager with the Broncos. And let's face it, he was right about Jay Cutler, right?? Broncos got four players for Jay Cutler. That's pretty crazy. Almost as crazy as how bad he used those extra picks. 1st round 2009, 3rd round 2009 and 1st round 2010. Of course, they got Kyle Orton as the fourth.

I don't know what happened with McDaniels and the Colts. It's hard for me to fault him for it, but it's also impossible for me to ignore it too. For all I know, it was a family decision as I explained earlier.

I haven't heard this too much and not sure how well this source can be trusted, but there is this little tweet.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Now here's a theory I'd never heard before!

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Congratulations to the Florida Panthers in the NHL and U Tenn in the CWS on their championships
Zero2Cool (18h) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (24-Jun) : NOT
wpr (24-Jun) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Random Babble / earthquake

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.