DoddPower
6 years ago
I just hope Gutey truly follows a strict Best Player Available strategy, at least for critical positions such as offensive line, WR, defensive secondary, and defensive line. I know the Packers rank prospects by round, but hopefully they can draw some lines regarding who is the best of each tier and draft accordingly. The Packers simply need talent more than anything, at most positions on the team. I want players that will be good to great players for the next 10 years, even if they don't necessarily fill a direct need in 2018. Injuries will quickly change that anyway.
warhawk
6 years ago
It's a little early but I try to start by looking at the players who almost certainly won't be there at 14. This will get tweaked as time moves on and things get more clearer after the combine.

At this early stage looking at the big boards and mocks I see (and hope) four QB's come off the board before 14.
In addition these players are chosen early in almost all the mocks and rank high on the big boards:
S Fitzpatrick
RB Barkley
DE Chubb
OG Nelson
OT Williams
S James
If this holds true what strikes me is that after 10 picks still no CB's or Edge rushers other than Chubb who from my understanding is a true 4-3 end. GB normally ends up getting about the 4th best player at any given position in the 1st round so this would be a huge improvement from that.
"The train is leaving the station."
Bigbyfan
6 years ago
Give me MLB Roquan Smith out of Georgia. The Packers will finally have that top tier MLB they always seem to lack.
blank
Smokey
6 years ago
With no first round trades, the first pick of the GB Packer's in the 2018 NFL Draft needs to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, and most aggressive pass rusher available. A MONSTER that sends shivers of fear down the backs of Offensive Coordinators as try to formulate a game plan against the Packers.

[nohair]

UserPostedImage
warhawk
6 years ago

Give me MLB Roquan Smith out of Georgia. The Packers will finally have that top tier MLB they always seem to lack.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Smith looks like a perfect fit from what I have read about Pettine and his aggressive approach. The only issue with Smith is he's a little smallish. I think he's so fast though and quick to react he can beat OL to the spot but somewhat worried about injury. 225lbs is kinda light in the pants to play inside in the NFL.

He's a football player though for sure and one that will probably produce more right out of the blocks than some others. OT's, CB,s and Edge rushers generally take some time before they get to where you like to see them. Smith looks like he will be ready to rock from the time he hits the field. The team needs a quick turnaround on D so....having a rookie that makes a big impact would be huge.
Rockmolder
6 years ago

With no first round trades, the first pick of the GB Packer's in the 2018 NFL Draft needs to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, and most aggressive pass rusher available. A MONSTER that sends shivers of fear down the backs of Offensive Coordinators as try to formulate a game plan against the Packers.

[nohair]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

That sounds like Marcus Davenport, if he would ever reach his ceiling. That's one risky pick, though.

How about signing Ziggy Ansah and not going that route?

I mean, if you add Ansah to Perry and Matthews, you're pretty good for next year. Will be risky on the injury side, though, but he'll give you consistent pressure for a year or three.

We've already had Matthews' biggest cap hit this year and Perry's isn't that big next year, either. The year after that, you complete lose the $10 mil hit for Matthews. Perry's cap hit does go up, but there is some wiggle room at that position.

That said, great pass rushers don't hit the open market that often and when they do, they generally get ridiculous contracts. Ingram got $66 million with $42 guaranteed over 4 years last year. Can't imagine Ziggy getting a lot less than that.
dhazer
6 years ago
I am predicting a shocking pick, I am going to say we draft Lamar Jackson QB Louisville or Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Ted Thompson did it his first year and I see the same thing happening. Let him sit behind Rodgers a few years and then hand him the reigns and trade off AR.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago

I am predicting a shocking pick, I am going to say we draft Lamar Jackson QB Louisville or Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Ted Thompson did it his first year and I see the same thing happening. Let him sit behind Rodgers a few years and then hand him the reigns and trade off AR.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Jackson would be amazing to pick up. McCarthy could prove being a top notch QB groomer by getting his accuracy fixes up and you have one of the most electrifying QBs for the next 8 years.

That said, Jackson at 14 isn't as big of a steal as Rodgers at 24, Rodgers is a bit younger than Favre was and Rodgers hasn't given any indication of retiring yet.

I get where you're coming from and I wouldn't even hate that pick, but I don't see it happening.
warhawk
6 years ago

That sounds like Marcus Davenport, if he would ever reach his ceiling. That's one risky pick, though.

How about signing Ziggy Ansah and not going that route?

I mean, if you add Ansah to Perry and Matthews, you're pretty good for next year. Will be risky on the injury side, though, but he'll give you consistent pressure for a year or three.

We've already had Matthews' biggest cap hit this year and Perry's isn't that big next year, either. The year after that, you complete lose the $10 mil hit for Matthews. Perry's cap hit does go up, but there is some wiggle room at that position.

That said, great pass rushers don't hit the open market that often and when they do, they generally get ridiculous contracts. Ingram got $66 million with $42 guaranteed over 4 years last year. Can't imagine Ziggy getting a lot less than that.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I believe Gutekunst wiill focus on the back end of the roster in FA and shore up certain positions with a few solid veterans. They found out in a big way that to rely on young and inexperienced players to step in doesn't work out very well. These young guys just don't get enough practice time and are unprepared for what they see in real game situations. In other words they screw up way to much.

Rodgers can win just about any game if the rest of the team plays half way decent. Having a few more experienced backups when injuries occur would certainly help in that regard. Mike McCarthy mentioned the "gap" between starters and backups and HA HA, while who's he to talk, was accurate with what occurred on the field.

The draft is going to be interesting with 11 picks. Eleven rookies are not going to make this team or it would seem highly unlikely. Especially if they do sign a few vets in FA. So what Gutey does there is going to be fun to watch.

Yerko
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

I would cry so good...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.